Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

If that box is complete it will have two recordings of Wagner's Ring, one being of a Broadcast series from RAI [from the Amazon website]:

Furtwängler's 1953 Ring cycle, recorded "live" in the RAI (Radiotelevisione Italiana) studios, one act at a time, for broadcast purposes, is remastered here from the original tapes, in contrast to vinyl pressings used for the original 1972 EMI LP release. The noted Wagnerian scholar Deryck Cooke best characterized the great conductor's view of this magnum opus as a "stark, heavy, brooding work, a profound tragedy set in a primitive world of ancient Teutonic gods and heroes, to whom every action and event is of the utmost existential importance." Not even the boxy sonics or less-than-world-class RAI wind and brass sections diminish the impact of Furtwängler's gripping leadership. Even when tempos appear unusually slow, the conductor's rhythmic underpinning and sixth sense for sustaining long lines keep the dramatic intensity afloat. While Furtwängler's livelier 1950 La Scala Ring boasts better orchestral playing, his RAI Ring is more consistently cast. Standouts include Windgassen's expansive Siegmund, Mödl's attentive Brünnhilde, Patzak's truly sung (as opposed to cackled) Mime, Suthaus's virile Siegfried, Jurinac's ruby-tinged Gutrune, and Greindl's best-vocalized Hagen extant. A banded synopsis is included in lieu of texts. --Jed Distler

2. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

She don't need bare feet.

vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.
  3. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

As someone who is basking in the electronic renditions of Debussy and Mussorgsky - and now Bach I'm wondering what are essential pure classical albums I need to listen to. I listen to many records that either have a huge classical bent like early Renaissance or The Enid, original compositions by Klaus Schulze which takes from many of the great composers such as Wagner, and more recently the versions of pure classics made with synths - Snowflakes are Dancing, Pictures at an Exhibition by Tomita, Switched-On albums by Wendy Carlos, stuff like that. I'm on the absolute fringe of listening to pure classical, but... who does it best? What are the best albums I can find that recreate the original pieces faithfully as possible?

4. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Looks like keyboard players and string players have very different mindset ... :winkgrin:

royzak2000 likes this.
  5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Glenn Gould happened to be crazy for S.O.B., has a similar clarity of line. You should look into Gould's "A State of Wonder", with both of Glenn Gould's recordings of Bach's Goldberg Variations. There's megaboxes of Trevor Pinnock's recordings of Bach's concerti and other works for larger instrumental ensemble. The SACD [still around for reasonable money] of Fritz Reiner/Chicago Symphony Orchestra performing "Pictures At An Exhibition" is paired itj similar works, has awesome audio engineering.

6. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Another BBC library disc. Thea Musgrave - Night Music and Four Ronsard Sonnets. 1976.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I am still considering Solti's recording as my one and only copy of that work.

8. coopmv

Solti was definitely an opera conductor and well-known for his Wagner operas. I have his Wagner Ring on Decca, which is still in shrinkwrap.

9. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I have Solti's Ring on first label vinyl, wish I had kept the CD box, it's hard work turning after each side because of the auto changer way of numbering the records.

bluemooze likes this.
  10. drh

drh Talking Machine

"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." --Bill Nye, quoted with approval by (and often erroneously attributed to) Mark Twain

"If they were Italians, the would already have seven children, but they're Germans, so they're still talking."--Arturo Toscanini, at a rehearsal for Act II of Tristan und Isolde

John S and Robin L like this.
  11. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Lennox Berkeley and Villa Lobos guitar concertos.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, Six String and ToddBD like this.
  12. coopmv

IIRC, the only Solti's Wagner opera on LP I own is Tannhäuser and it is a London instead of a Decca box

[​IMG]

Yeah, I hate those record sequencing based on auto changer.

bluemooze and royzak2000 like this.
  13. coopmv

Now playing CD8 - works of Albeniz, Chopin and Liszt from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and George P like this.
  14. coopmv

Is Cortot considered the best Chopin pianist of all time?

15. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Certainly one of the best.

16. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Pergolesi - La Serva Padrona, don't have a cover for this but Scotto is the soprano and Fasano is conducting.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  17. coopmv

Is this the LP jacket?

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  18. coopmv

:edthumbs:

19. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I would say yes, I don't have the jacket, great recording. Could you look for the date on yours.

20. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my baroque collection featuring the AAM and the very talented Ms. Podger for a third listen ... :agree::winkgrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  21. coopmv

Looks like it was recorded in 1960. I do not have the LP ...

[​IMG]

royzak2000 likes this.
  22. coopmv

Wigmore Hall appears to be an ideal venue for chamber music ...

[​IMG]

23. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

It's about ten minutes from my place, I do regular lunchtime concerts that are amazingly reasonable with top names.

John S and dale 88 like this.
  24. coopmv

This is an excellent live recording and Ms Podger was superb. It is so quiet and only the applause at the end of each work reminds me that this is a live recording ...

The real highlight of this recording is the JS Bach Concerto for Two Violins with Rachel Podger and Pavlo Beznosiuk. The level of virtuosity is astounding ...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    bluemooze and royzak2000 like this.
  25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I've only been to one opera in my life and that was in Houston circa 1985 when a family friend of my gf had season tickets and offered them to her. We went, I slept (only a little bit a tually) and was awakened by nudity (simulated) and much dancing around. It was bizarre. Oh yeah, the opera was Phillip Glass' Ahknaten.

drh likes this.