New Elton John album, "Wonderful Crazy Night" (5th February 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by deadbirdie, Aug 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

I love it! Love the piano, bass, guitars, and overall production. And Elton sounds good. Bless him!

tonyc, fredblue and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. I'm about to read back pages here but the bottom line: Is it a really good album or boring like almost every one from that past 25 years? Mostly seeing posts about Target and bonus tracks but is the record any good? Or as bad as Elton and Leon?

3. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

I loved the album, but i don't quite understand the kind of praise it's getting around here. People are acting like he returned to form, like he's back with his greatest work in years, but for me this is an amazing album just like his last five albums are, so i'm not surprised by its quality. If you didn't like his last albums, you'll not like this one. I don't belive it differs that much from his most recent releases, and that's a good thing, since they're awesome. But people should stop acting like Elton is back with a vengeance. He just never went away guys!

theMess, mgoad30, soundQman and 2 others like this.
  4. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

How did you like The Captain & The Kid, Peachtree Road, Made In England and Songs From The West Coast?
    For me it has elements of all those and a lot less resemblance to the last couple of albums..

5. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

That cover is horrendous.
    Looks like it was made in windows xp paint.

bob60 and Mazzy like this.
  6. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

The photo print book in the super deluxe edition has a half dozen more or so like it which are worse from the same photo session. The cover is the best one of the lot, if you can believe it!

Dukes Travels likes this.
  7. Whizz Kid

Whizz Kid Forum Resident

Yeah, the cover art is beyond dreadful... having a hard time getting past it.

I'm still thinking that the entire concept was blatantly nicked from the Simpsons - Season 11 box set. ;) :cool:

[​IMG]

johnnyyen, Dukes Travels and bob60 like this.
  8. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I agree.

Worst album cover ever.

[​IMG]

Paul H, music4life and EddieT like this.
  9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, that album cover fell out of the Ugly Tree and hit every branch on the way down!

10. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

All this talk about the cover. How does it sound?:D

fredblue likes this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Who cares about an unimportant detail like that when we can complain about the album cover? :)

theMess, fredblue, JLGB and 2 others like this.
  12. Dukes Travels

I cant listen to an album unless I like the cover.
    I only own two albums, but I wont compromise.

bob60 and RubenH like this.
  13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

How do you feel about Invisible Touch's cover? :)

14. Dukes Travels

Minimalistic masterpiece.

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Okay, I can agree with that. :righton:

16. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Actually, that would have been a much better cover if they could have licensed the art without the Simpson's logo.

17. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I thought of this painting/artwork when I first saw the new cover. This was used on a LP box set of his early albums. This is my original scan of the cover but I no longer have the box set. I think this artwork below is great.
    [​IMG]

driverdrummer and JLPMacca like this.
  18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I am really impressed by this new album

19. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

The cover of an album is very important to me as well.

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I just ordered the Deluxe Edition based on the positive reviews it's gotten here. Thanks, guys! :)

rstamberg, fredblue and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Let me be one of the few here who will agree with you, that Elton's last 25 years worth of album's are mostly boring. With that said, I honestly sat down and gave this new album one full solid listen and I have to add it to the "boring" pile. It has a few winners on it, but the only song that grabbed me, like I want an Elton John song to do, was "England And America", which isn't even on the standard CD issue of the album and proves that even the people in charge of Elton album sequencing, don't even know anymore, when the guy is having a "great" moment! Mazzy, you may end up loving it, so I highly recommend that you give the entire album a shot, but by going with your comments, I'll go out on a limb and guess that you'll end up finding it pretty boring, as I did.

Mazzy likes this.
  22. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Picked up the Vinyl LP of this Friday. It's an exact master of the CD copy pressed to vinyl. The bass is way too overpowering for vinyl, and the high end gets totally lost. The vinyl itself is a nice flat 180g. Stick w/ the CD if you're debating mediums...especially for the bonus tracks.

23. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

There's a hi-res download available for the album on HD Tracks. I wonder if that is better, or just an upsample of the CD master? If it is really a higher res version, one would think they might have used that to master the LP rather than the CD. It seems to have become something of an industry standard practice now.

24. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

I think someone posted a few pages back that the HD Tracks master is the same as the CD too. DR7 maybe(?)

25. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Sounds like you've got your mind made up already. Next ...

Captain Groovy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.