XTC - preparing ORANGES and LEMONS for audiophile reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mestreech, Dec 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. van1

van1 Forum Resident

I'm happy to pick all these sets up but I'd prefer to have English settlement or Skylarking sooner than later, just so I don't have to wait a few years

2. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Has anyone seen a Twitter Post from Andy, at any time .... about the O&L Blu-Ray mess?

3. Havoc

Havoc Forum Resident

Is he supposed to "reproduce" these albums though? I'm not positive but I thought there was a difference between production and mixing, he took liberties with Simple Minds' Sparkle in the Rain that I wasn't completely happy with(not that he cares......nor should he) but he took the "balls" out of some of the tracks. Maybe it was just by mixing the drum track in lower but it also seemed to be altered somehow. I understand the purpose for alternate mixes and some of them are quite good, having said that I would rather the 5.1 preserve the original intent of the artists and producers rather than dramatically change the album, even if consensus is that it's an improvement. I'm completely prepared to accept I could be way off here but......do be gentle.

4. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

"Please write to Sony,we are at their mercy as you are.XTC,Yes and Game of Thrones had the same problem,they fixed one,..guess?" - Jan 15th

LarryT, CraigVC and JediJoker like this.
  5. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

andy mentioned they were looking at 'out takes' and i thought i recalled that with AV 1 &2 that there werent any?

6. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

7. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

Bonddm likes this.
  8. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

I hope its Skylarking. I have two UK first pressings and the reversed polarity CD. They are all ok in IMO. Nothing stellar. I missed out on the reissued vinyl...damn!...so I would appreciate a fantastic sounding version of this classic please. Then can we have the rest of the catalogue.....!

9. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

The thought of Steven Wilson remixing Rundgren's production intrigues me. How could we convince Mr. Wilson not to be so "faithful" (see what I did there)? ;)

Olompali and ad180 like this.
  10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

FYI, you can get all of this for about $100 or so. It quickly pays for itself.

11. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

12. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

A recent Facebook post by Dave Gregory re- English Settlement.

Originally posted by ad180 in this thread.
    XTC - English Settlement Vinyl Reissue from Ape House »

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    Mike Dow and DaverJ like this.
  13. Wait... Does this mean the Skylarking masters finally been found? I'm hardly surprised they've kept this quiet - it's brilliant news!

14. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Not to be a grump but I am not seeing that comment anywhere. Is it possible he was a bit out over this skis on the remix part and the comment was pulled?

15. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

It's still there, grump. ;)

[​IMG]

Bonddm likes this.
  16. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Ha thanks I guess I am not so good with the Facebook. Plus now we got ****e spelled correctly on here.

krock2009 and ad180 like this.
  17. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

So that Skylarking vinyl reissue with correct polarity isn't from the master tapes? Another vinyl reissue (re-mix) on the way?

18. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

No. The corrected-polarity vinyl is from the stereo master.

XTC is also releasing Blu-Ray editions that feature stereo and surround remixes, high resolution remastered original mix, bonus tracks, videos, etc. (like the Oranges & Lemons release that this thread is about). It sounds like they are releasing English Settlement on vinyl, presumably because they can't find all the multitrack masters (Andy has mentioned this on Twitter). They had released Skylarking on vinyl for the same reason, but presumably they have found all the multitrack masters and will proceed with a Skylarking Blu-Ray.

bmoregnr, George Blair and Bonddm like this.
  19. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Hopefully, minus the issues on the O&L release.

20. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

21. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

I have two copies of English Settlement on LP and they both sound fabulous. I will still get the repressing due to my addiction.
    I want Skylarking released again on LP. The original pressing is OK and I missed the repress.

22. grendel322

grendel322 Forum Resident

@marcb, can you elaborate on what you found that works with the mac? The $100 doesn't scare me, it's the thought that it'd all be wasted if I can't get it working properly.

23. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

FYI, after several system updates from Sony and Microsoft over the past few months...O&L blu ray still won't play on the PS3 or XboxOne.

Shouldn't be surprised, but still supremely disappointed.

24. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Such a shame that they can't get this fixed .... I'm sure this will negatively affect sales of any future XTC DVD releases.

25. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

I certainly won't order any more. This thing wouldn't play on 4 different makes of Blu-ray players in my home. I finally got it to play on my Oppo using a very awkward workaround. This situation was poorly handled.
    The major Blu-ray manufacturers fix their mistakes and send replacements - I've had replacements of the X-Files, Batman TV Series and Star Trek. I don't know why they couldn't have re-authored this disc and fix the obvious menu issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.