Wilco releases new album "Star Wars" -- For Free!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fourfeathers, Jul 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

The problem which I have/had with The Whole Love is that it just sounds frustratingly sub-par across the board; whereby in its entirety it sounds like something that the band has done much better in the past. Songs, lyrics and musicianship just don't gel for me.

I think in spite of co-production credits on WTA and Whole Love, bringing in an autonomous party on either of those albums would have improved things greatly.

2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I'm with you on (The Album), but I thought The Whole Love was a return to form. Different strokes.

chodad, Jack, Golden Richards and 2 others like this.
  3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

My thoughts exactly, The Whole Love seemed like a return to form and Star Wars seems like an interesting departure in a somewhat new direction (although foreshadowed by Sukirae), but Wilco (The Album) did seem a bit tired compared to the rest of their catalog.

4. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I'm with you. After Foxtrot thrust them into the mainstream consciousness, I thought that Ghost was a challenging (and often brilliant) record, and (after Tweedy's stint in rehab) Sky Blue Sky was a modest masterpiece, but Wilco (The Album) felt like they were treading water a bit. The Whole Love felt like a re-birth to me -- it had elements of everything that made Wilco great (pop smarts, experimentation, alt-country leanings, ambition), but it felt "produced" (in a good way) where the previous two records felt more like live-in-the-studio audio verite. I put The Whole Love right up there at the top with Summerteeth and Foxtrot -- and I don't think Star Wars is too far behind them. "Random Name Generator" and "The Joke Explained" are two of my favorite tracks of 2015.

5. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

6. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I've been a fan since the Uncle Tupelo days. I thought everything from Being There through Sky Blue Sky was brilliant. To me that was one of the most amazing album runs ever by anyone. I don't know what happened after that, but, while the last three albums have all been good, IMO they just haven't been great. None of the songs really stick out for me.

7. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Random Name Generator has been stuck in my head for weeks

8. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

I much prefer The Whole Love to Star Wars. I like some songs off of Star Wars, but I'll take fully fleshed-out melodic songs over experimentation for experimentation's sake.

picket131, Jack and Carserguev like this.
  9. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Me too!!! The guitar sticks. Star Wars is the album you put down for awhile and come back to and it just sounds and feels natural.

My son plays this on his iPad frequently too. Mind you he is 7.

linclink likes this.
  10. Phil Tate

God I wish "You Satellite" went on for another ten minutes.

11. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

Wilco performed a rousing rendition of "Random Name Generator" on the Late Show earlier this week. Some pretty sweet guitars on showcase too.

rcb30, Poxy Bowsy, oneway23 and 5 others like this.
  12. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

A song off the album that definitely grew on me!

Phil Tate likes this.
  13. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode Forum Resident

I'm a total Wilco/Tweedy fanboy, and the only album I really struggle with is Wilco (The Album). I don't really think of it as even close to as good as anything else they've ever done. It's a 5 out of ten, when I view everything else they've done as at least a 7.

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. I missed that. With the guitars and drums coming though clearly in the music, it sounds much better than the download version.

Does the vinyl sound better than the digital? I have the white vinyl but haven't opened it yet.

15. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm going to play this one right now, and give it yet another chance...:)

AtlTrav likes this.
  16. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

Really surprised to see that lots of people around here don't enjoy "Wilco (the album)" that much. For me it's Wilco's fifth best album, while "Star Wars" is their least good one. It's not bad, but i place it at the bottom of my favorites list. The album sounds rushed to me, like they took it out of the oven too fast. They also messed up with the recipe a little.

Carserguev likes this.
  17. AtlTrav

AtlTrav Forum Resident

It a fantastic slab of vinyl, very punchy with great dynamics! Its mastered by Chris Bellman so it's on point. I was spinning it this morning!

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Thanks.

19. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

20. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

And here's one more for y'all: a Wilco NPR Tiny Desk Concert. Can you spot all the Wilco LP covers scattered around the office?

Setlist:

The Joke Explained
    Misunderstood
    I'm Always in Love
    A Shot in the Arm

Glenn's shaker collection is pretty impressive.

21. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Perhaps more than any other band right now, I think Wilco could really use a producer with a strong aesthetic and backbone on their next album. And I say that as a big fan of Wilco.

22. Phil Tate

So you're a big fan but you want them to sound different? :shrug:

Each to their own - personally I think they're the most interesting band in the world at the moment and I don't think they can put a foot wrong.

linclink likes this.
  23. Absolutely agree!

Phil Tate likes this.
  24. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Could not have said it better if I had written it myself. Agree on all points.

linclink, Sean Murdock and Crispy Rob like this.
  25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Is there any difference in the mastering of the white vinyl and the black vinyl pressings?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.