10 Things You Never Knew About Stevie Wonder

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

10 things you never knew about Stevie unless you simply googled wiki....

11. Stevie won the Best Album of The Year Grammy in 74, 75 and 77, for Innervisions, FFF and Songs in the Key of Life. (Paul Simon won in 76).

theMess likes this.
  2. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

The attempt at being - what, witty ? - with the "walking pair of ears" was a disaster. It spoiled the only information that was news to me.

drasil likes this.
  3. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

You Haven't Done Nothing. Haven't. At least get the title of the song correct.

drasil and JasonA like this.
  4. Tony Brown

Tony Brown Forum Resident

Stevie is brilliant but, seriously? the locations of lightswitches????

DrAftershave likes this.
  5. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Ha ha. That doesn't make any sense. I can't remember the quote - it must have been electrical outlets or something like that. It was an article from the 70's

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I know that sounds odd at first, but think about it for a minute.

If Stevie is alone and has the lights off (since he doesn't need them on) and someone comes to the hotel door to come in the room, he's going to need to know where the light switches are in the room to turn the lights on for the other person so they can see.

Unless he really doesn't like the other person and just wants them to trip over a chair in the dark or something. :)

7. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

intv7 and drasil like this.
  8. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

:laugh:

drasil likes this.
  9. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

#11: Stevie Wonder can play the drums in concert--sort of.

A friend of mine recently told me a story about Stevie opening for the Rolling Stones (1972?) and doing a drum solo in the middle of his set. Problem was, not being able to see the drum heads, he was more often than not hitting the hardware instead of the drum head or the cymbal. My friend is a big Stevie fan, but suffered a major cringe attack during that show.

10. PaulKTF

I'm guessing Stevie must not drum regularly because if he was, I'd think his muscle-memory would tell him where to hit the stick on the drum to hit the head/cymbal.

In other words, I think with a whole lot of practice and getting accustomed to the drum kit setup he'd avoid doing that. :)

11. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

He's a fine drummer in a studio with a fixed kit. On stage, though, you're at the mercy of where the roadies and drum tech set everything up, which is going to vary from night to night.

No knock on Stevie as a drummer--just the idea of doing a sightless drum solo on the road.

12. PaulKTF

Ah! Maybe he was using one of the Stones' kits set up by their roadies and not his own? I mean if it was his own I assume his people would have set it up the way he is comfortable with, right?

13. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I'll attest to that. When he paid for his friends' purchase at Pacific Stereo in Monterey, CA, he handed me his AMEX card (Stevland Morris) and took out a stamp pad and did exactly that.

14. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

I consider it cutting to the chase. Stepping around it would be diminishing his condition that he overcame considering his blindness. One hell of an achievement, IMO.

People who get offended are usually fishing to be offended. Unfortunately, that's been a profitable industry for a long time with an endless throng of unpaid foot solders, which only leads to greater division.

Stevie Wonder, to me, is an exceptional talent with timeless songs, brought then-new technology for us to enjoy and countless others to emulate. That's one hell of a contribution, very few are in that category.

ARK likes this.
  15. PaulKTF

Weird... I mean apparently it's legal and valid, but I also don't understand why he feels it's necessary to do that when he could just sign his name (plus then he wouldn't end up with ink on his fingers)!.

16. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

He told us after entering our stereo store "Sorry about the tree out front. My friends let me drive today."

drasil and DrAftershave like this.
  17. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

[​IMG]

18. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

He's capable of programming a synthesizer while blind; I always assumed that a signature wasn't beyond his capabilities.

19. PaulKTF

:laugh: He gets major kudos from me for his sense of humor.

20. PaulKTF

Right. He's capable of doing it, so there must be some reason he doesn't sign his name on legal documents that I don't understand.

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

After a little Googling, it simply appears to be his choice. No better method of identification.

ARK likes this.
  22. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

From the perspective of the other side, it's better than a notarized signature. Maybe someone required it from him once and he got used to it. From his perspective, it's easier than finding a notary, being sworn and paying a fee.

ARK likes this.
  23. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

Hence the joke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.