The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

The Wooden Glass featuring Billy Wooten- Recorded Live (P-Vine)
    [​IMG]

Marzz, DrJ and miklew like this.
  2. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Congrats on the new equipment. Great way to test it !

Dr Faustus, johnnypaddock and rxcory like this.
  3. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Miles Davis "The Complete In a Silent Way Sessions", disc 3.

[​IMG]

Mik, 93curr, alankin1 and 10 others like this.
  4. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Uri Caine Trio- Live At The Village Vanguard (Winter & Winter)
    [​IMG]

charlesp, ronfint, alankin1 and 6 others like this.
  5. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Rahsaan Roland Kirk- Return Of The 5000 lb. Man
    [​IMG]

Mik, 93curr, charlesp and 9 others like this.
  6. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Nice post - I like that disc - hybrid sacd for the uninitiated!

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  7. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

One of the absolute classics - the essence of modern jazz.

8. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Yes! Really looking forward to his solo album being released...finally!
    Just discovered this morning that he did in fact record another session/"album", as leader, that remains unreleased. Had a killer line-up too - not a guarantee that it worked, of course, but still i'd like to hear it...

Ric Colbeck Discography »

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  9. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Frank Kimbrough should be more well known, very good piano player and one of the nicest guys around.

alankin1, Voltaire and Six String like this.
  10. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Yeah, it is a bit, shall we say 'dear' at $70. The subscription cuts you a break but I'm not so sure I'm willing to committ with them still raising capital. And Jack on Solo Piano? Seems like an odd choice for such an early release in the series.

11. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Was playing : The 1949 Coleman Hawkins 1949 Vogue Sessions off the Prestige Twofer - The Hawk Flies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rxcory, Dr Faustus, ronfint and 4 others like this.
  12. AxiomAcoustics

Love that album. The trio interplay is telepathic and they carve an incredible arc during the performance, a perfect set IMO and the sound is excellent.

13. AxiomAcoustics

I wish Songlines were still doing Hybrid SACD releases. The pricing was great and the sonics were typicaly very good as well.

Electric, dennis the menace and DrJ like this.
  14. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Barney Wilen, BARNEY (Recorded live at Club St. Germain, April (in Paris ;)), 1959). Vintage club jazz, with Wilen on tenor, Kenny Dorham trumpet, Duke Jordan piano, Paul Rovere bass, and Daniel Humair drums. This has to be one of the very best sounding club recordings ever, putting most others (even many far more recent ones) to shame. The instruments are all beautifully captured (the piano sound especially is unbelievably natural), and you can really feel the room. Wilen was only a kid at this point, just over 20, but plays with typical authority and intelligence; only an occasional tendency toward note-y ness for its own sake betrays his age. Dorham admirably fills the role of front line "elder statesman" (though he wasn't that old either!), playing long, winding, almost sculpted lines. He takes a lengthy first solo on the opener "Besame Mucho" that really throws down the gauntlet, setting the standard for the remainder of the disc. This BMG/RCA Victor French CD reissue adds previously unissued (and tracks, all in the same class as the originally issued stuff, and nicely remastered from the original tapes. There was also a concurrently issued companion CD called MORE FROM BARNEY AT CLUB ST. GERMAIN which has, well, just that - a whole CDs worth of additional tracks. Glorious.

rxcory, ronfint, Jackie P and 4 others like this.
  15. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

NP: Pat Martino - East. OJC vinyl. Probably my favorite Martino.

[​IMG]

16. AxiomAcoustics

Interesting, I don;t believe that was listed on the Discogs site. Looks tasty.

Marzz likes this.
  17. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Miles Davis - Miles Ahead

93curr, rxcory, Dr Faustus and 7 others like this.
  18. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Totally agree. Never been the least bit disappointed in anything I've ever heard by him. Very interesting player.

WorldB3 likes this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Barney Wilen was an underrated saxophonist. The only Wilen CD I have is Jazz sur Seine on EmArcy (France), a reissue of 1958 Philips recordings. I don't have more of his recordings because I generally can't stand European rhythm sections, which to my ears are often pedestrian and stiff compared to their US counterparts :shake:

DrJ likes this.
  20. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Was lucky to see his quartet in November of 2014 at the Jazz Standard (with my son) when we were visiting NYC - that was the one with Steve Wilson, Lewis Nash, and Jay Anderson that had recorded QUARTET for Palmetto. A very strong show, most enjoyable. Ate dinner at a table next to Lewis Nash and his family, and saw Maria Schneider at the bar when she came by to wish Kimbrough well. I've been a big fan of Kimbrough's since "discovering" him through the Herbie Nichols Project recordings which I love, especially the first in the sequence LOVE IS PROXIMITY (Soul Note).

charlesp, alankin1 and WorldB3 like this.
  21. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

It is a great album. The trio is fantastic and the sound is exceptional as you say. Another player that should be more well known.

22. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Interesting, I don't find them too distracting on BARNEY - especially the drummer Daniel Humair, who I've always found to be a strong player (and later became pretty renowned). I'd agree that the bassist Paul Rovere is rather ordinary, but it doesn't detract for me, on these discs at least.

Though not a Wilen "leader" date, in case you don't have it already: he's huge on AFTERNOON IN PARIS (John Lewis/Sacha Distel), an outstanding recording that has Kenny Clarke and Pierre Michelot (European, yes, but swings like an American :)).

23. AxiomAcoustics

Right on, I'm a big fan. My Uri encounter from before, I believe, you were on the JB:
    Jazz Beat - Part 19 »

BluTom and Marzz like this.
  24. AxiomAcoustics

Sonny Sharrock: Ask The Ages

Sonny Sharrock: Electric Guitar
    Pharoah Sanders: Tenor and Soprano Sax
    Charnett Moffett: Bass
    Elvin Jones: Drums

Sonny's last recording before the son set and what a magnificent fusillade of electrified modal post-bop. Recorded in 1991? Is this gonna work? Yeahhhh, it works alright.

[​IMG]

25. AxiomAcoustics

Sold. Will the Sony Japan work?
    http://www.amazon.com/Barney-Wilen/...8&qid=1455417673&sr=1-2&keywords=barney+wilen