Don Felder and the Eagles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by coot, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

It has been repeatedly pointed out here that filmmaker Alex Gibney demanded and got final cut on the doc, a fact I confirmed when I interviewed the director Alison Ellwood. Felder's book predates the documentary by several years so there's no way it states that Glenn and Don had final edit (unless he did an updated version that I don't have). The Eagles could have buried the documentary if they didn't like it, but they had a deal where they couldn't change it, and that's from the horse's mouth.

2. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I know that you enjoy saying that, but that information is not in Felder's book.

3. BluesOvertookMe

And if you read Marc Eliot's book To the Limit, that impression will be even stronger.

To the Limit is another source of information that you'll see mostly backs up Felder's book a lot (although it came first) and I recommend it to those actually interested in learning more.

Comet01 likes this.
  4. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

To the Limit is riddled with errors. Eliot tried, but lack of band participation/cooperation had him jumping to conclusions that I know are wrong.

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

IIRC, it was those "other aspects" that were the problem. Felder had agreed to a deal to receive less from the HFO tour profits only, but then several years later Henley and Frey wanted to also revise his deal related to profits from older releases (specifically, royalties from the Selected Works box set). Felder's reluctance to do that is what led to his ejection from the band.

Also, I seem to recall Felder alleging that there were some financial shenanigans involved too... profits being diverted from Eagles Ltd to another, new corporation to prevent him from receiving the share to which he was contractually entitled. It that is true, then it's not so simple as "Felder agreed to the new deal, he shouldn't complain."

6. dadonred

dadonred Life’s done you wrong so I wrote you all this song

You are correct about the delta between Felder's book release and the documentary. That makes me wonder if there was a new forward or something, but I sent the book to my sister. Maybe it was a claim in some interview I read. I take it back!

7. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

That was the crux of the issue. Profits were being diverted to Eagles 2.

8. Of course he did. Felder played on four albums, whereas Walsh was only a band member for Hotel California and The Long Run pre-breakup. However, he already had a solid career prior to the Eagles (James Gang, Barnstorm, solo). He'd already proven himself to be a very good songwriter. He also released several solo albums post-Eagles breakup. As good a musician as Felder is, he's not a very prolific and/or memorable songwriter.

heatherly and muffmasterh like this.
  9. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Does Felder have Ringo's number?

He'd be great as part of his All-Star-Band.

I agree that Don and Glen were the leaders, but watching the documentary: once it's gotten to the 4th guy in a row that Glen's blown up at and yelled "WELL F$*CK YOU" to, it's clear the guy had some issues of his own.

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Ringo doesn't seem to be into switching his band up anymore. This is his 4th year touring with the same unit. They are all clearly real happy working together.

11. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Glenn seemed to be the only one in the contemporary interviews who was actively hostile to anybody else (and it seemed to be towards everyone except the guys currently in the band). Though Don wasn't exactly friendly toward Felder he also wasn't attacking him. Glenn only in passing mentions any sort of remorse by saying his one regret is he wished he had handled things better the first time around but he didn't really specify what he meant by that.

Comet01 likes this.
  12. erikdavid5000

I'm listening to Victim Of Love right now, and I'm wondering why they didn't just let Felder sing it ... It's an album cut rather deep in the album and it could use a tad more grit ... There's an awful lot of Henley vocals on that album and by that song, I'm a bit sick of him as he always stays in the same range and his voice has lost a bit of body it seems by that point. Walsh has a cool voice but not a "great" voice, and he gets a lead! And then T. Schmidt joins for the next album and immediately gets a lead vocal spot (and sings like an angel, yes) ... That must have stung and feels hardly necessary all this time later. There was likely a bit of malice in the decision to not allow Felder this one vocal spot.

keyXVII, longaway, heatherly and 3 others like this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The filmmakers would disagree with your assertion that Frey and Henley essentially had control over the editing of the documentary.

14. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

That is a very good point Eric. As much as I enjoy Joe's work, his voice is average at best.

15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Malice? Felder had only been in the band for two years at that point; the issues between him and Henley/Frey were not yet evident. They were trying to make a great album, why would they not showcase Don Henley's lead vocal on what was turning out to be a great a track? It is hard to argue that it was anything other than a creative and artistic decision; if Felder was able to deliver a great vocal, they would've used it.

markbrow and Markarrow like this.
  16. erikdavid5000

Pretty sure I answered your question with my post

17. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

they may have done but if they did they certainly were either happy enough to let themselves be portrayed warts and all or oblivious to the fact they were. If it was the former then you have to give them credit for that at least.

18. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Once Felder's book came out I donated away my copy of Eliot's book. I thought Eliot's book was a pathetic piece of amateur fanboy writing anyways.

19. erikdavid5000

Eeek. I didn't mean to sound snide with my reply.

I just think there's maybe a touch too much Henley on Hotel California as an album. Plus, everyone else got a lead vocal, why not Felder?

Henley's voice is much stronger on The Long Run, I think.

20. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

When people eventually hear Felder's lead vocal, they'll be able to judge for themselves

21. questrider

questrider Forum Resident

Regardless of all of this hemming and hawing we all know the Eagles peaked in 1977 with Hotel California and the following tour. Everybody was contributing and they were "in the zone" where they were balancing creativity with fame and the financial gains with egos. They were rock stars. After this, it was over. It never returned to the glory of this—a song everyone contributed to: Felder with the music, Henley and Frey with the lyrics, Felder and Walsh's classic guitar work, the Latino style of timbale drums Henley is playing during all the fills, and the tasty bass line by Meisner holding down the bottom with its interplay with the guitars as a counterpoint.

Superb. That's the Eagles.

22. I just watched the documentary for the second time. I am surprised how I now feel more sympathetic towards Frey and Henley than I did after watching it the first time acouple of years ago. And, the situation seems more complicated than I originally assumed.

RPOZ51 and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  23. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I think Frey and Henley were perfectly fine coming off as assholes and perhaps they don't even realize that.
    They wanted to make sure they were portrayed as the leaders, the essence of the Eagles. A band beyond the ages. The others portrayed at times practically as sidemen.

Kudos for them allowing the documentary crew full edit control

They said what they said and I have a feeling they had an axe to grind, build themselves up while minimizing the contributions of others and barely holding back their hostility, particularly Glenn.

It is odd, in most rockumentaries you rarely see bandmates interviewed together
    The Classic Records Making of Aja has Don and Walt working the studio sliders
    These guys are a great duo

muffmasterh likes this.
  24. BluesOvertookMe

What assertion of mine is that? I'd like to see the quote.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

IMO, that is just wrong...

Terry, R. Cat Conrad and audiotom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.