Rush - new 2015 vinyl and hi-res reissues thread. (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That certainly provides some rebuttal to those who say audiophile mastering of modern recordings wouldn't do any good because they are brickwalled in the mix process. That wasn't the case here at all.

JulesRules and Hymie the Robot like this.
  2. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I'm in the UK and I've been buying the US versions. They also posted this out to me in double quick time. Credit where it's due, they made a mistake and fixed it.

3. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I just pulled the trigger on Exit Stage Left, Moving Pictures, and Permanent Waves. It appears that Hemispheres is not in stock on Amazon so I might get it from Zoverstocks.

4. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Your wording is not very straight forward. Have you listened to the new remaster? This new version is great and putting it in the Vapor Trails conversion leads me to believe that you didn't bother with the S&A remaster because the origional was so poor which is understandable.

5. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I actually do own it and am quite happy with it. I will pick Snakes over Clockwork all day long, I know that is not a popular opinion. However, I did not hear a lot of difference in the remaster other than the fact that it clearly sounds better than the CD. Honestly, I will admit I have to listen to it again as I have only done so twice. When you say remaster it does not necessarily (or usually) mean a full re-mix. Is there something I should specifically be listening for on Snakes different from the original? Obviously Vapor Trails remixed is much, much different (and better in my opinion). I found the original Vapor Trails to be completely unlistenable, major ear fatigue, a headache album. I did a back and forth comparison of the Clockwork vinyl and Snakes vinyl and it is amazing to me how similar the two albums sound. I think the thing I was trying to say, and it does not just apply to Rush, was that the newer music is not produced or mastered nearly as well as it could be. Black Sabbath 13, new Van Halen, Death Magnetic, and many other major offenders.

Opeth likes this.
  6. Hymie the Robot

Your post is too confusing to wrap my head around atm. You still don't specifically mention the S&A REMASTER and then you compare it to CA which never got the remaster treatment. I will break it down later after lunch...

7. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Also, just to add on your original point, I actually never owned the original Vapor Trails so the first one I ever heard was re-mixed. I went back and listened to the original for comparison sake and was not impressed. Still to this day it is probably in my worst 3-4 Rush albums with Roll The Bones and Clockwork. Before anyone freaks out, when I say worst I mean 3.5 stars out of 5!

8. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

No worries man, I will listen to Snakes again today. A remaster is not the same as a remix. What I am saying is that Sankes needs to be completely remixed. This whole new line of Rush vinyl has been "remastered" but the general opinion is that these sound very similar to the originals, only better because there is no surface noise. I dont really hold that much faith in the word "remastered" as I usually think it is simply a marketing ploy and more often than not (see Rolling Stones and many others) the remastered version is in fact much, much worse than the original.

9. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

With regard to the later Atlantic releases, I've compared the digital downloads to the previous digital releases and CD's and these remasters are a revelation. The previous releases were awash in limiting/compression, these have little or none. They are available with full dynamics for the first time.

Specifically, I've looked at

Counterparts, Presto, & Roll the Bones already had decent releases (Audio Fidelity)

but...

Snakes and Arrows (now DR12, vs. earlier DR7 releases)
    Feedback (now DR12 vs. earlier DR5-6 releases)
    Test for Echo (now DR11-12 vs. earlier DR8 releases)

Those last 3 are revelations.

10. Hymie the Robot

I don't agree with anything you say here. All these REMASTERS from this 12 months of Rush series have been significant improvements over the origional releases and the 2013 REMASTERS. S&A doesn't need a REMIX, it is fine.

I don't understand why your bringing the issue of poorly remastered albums into this discussion considering the fact that this remaster series have been universally praised.

11. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I listened to sides one and two of Snakes again and will concede that it does sound fine. I am quite pleased with it. Obviously Clockwork needs a re-do I think we can agree there. I disagree strongly with your point about the remasters being significant improvements (specifically the older material) and I say this because i have near mint originals of all of them and the sound on those cannot be beaten. I wholeheartly agree Sean did an incredible job on these and I am very happy fot it, although it will dock me $300 or so to get them all. With that said, I find it truly hard to believe that remasters can beat originals that sound so freakin' good I put them up against some of the gratest recordings I own. I have not heard most of them yet so I will reserve judement but listening to an original MINT condition Farewell To Kings right now and it's gonna be mighty hard to beat this.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  12. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

We can at least both agree that Rush kicks some serious ass! :)

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  13. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Agreed. Big improvements on those three. I never downloaded my digital versions provided with the vinyl but I guess I should for the Ipod. Feedback is the only Rush album I do not own. Maybe they will remaster all of the recent live ones like R30, Snakes Live, etc. as those are dynamically crushed to hell and almost unlistenable. Damn shame really.

JulesRules likes this.
  14. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Hi, so I did complete this task although XLD would not work for me as it would only do the first two minutes for free or something so I found another program called Media Human. That one worked great. Snakes and Arrows and Test for Echo sound fantastc. I had to delete a bunch of stuff to squeeze them on there but definitely worth it!

15. Here you can get an idea of how the European pressing of "Hold Your Fire" sounds:

16. Musicminded

Musicminded Forum Resident

I have most of these Rush remasters on European pressings, as I live in the Netherlands. They are good quality overall. No real need to pay extra for US versions. QRP pressings are often superior but not in this series.

17. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

was listening to clockwork angels tonight on cd, dag. that sounds bad. you can hear clicks and clippings. I really hope they remaster that for vinyl cause I really like the songs..

18. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Agreed. I bought the currently available version of CA on wax and while it was maybe a hair better than the cd? There's a lot of room for improvement. At least 6 db's worth, haha.

JulesRules and marblesmike like this.
  19. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I recently picked up Rush Replay x 3 and enjoy the videos even with the horrible picture quality. The Grace Under Pressure Tour CD included is useless as it is badly compressed and gives me ear issues after listening to it. Rush really dropped the ball on all recent live releases which are horrible on CD including R30, Snakes Live, Rush In Rio, R40 (I have not heard it but see the DR ratings), Clockwork Tour, Time Machine- Live In Cleveland. I have deleted each and every one of these from the Ipod as to me they are not listenable which is really a damn shame. I wish Geddy and the boys would give these great recordings the proper attention that they deserve. The DVD's and Blu Rays are still great and happy to own them but the transfer to CDs has not gone well in any case. Highly disappointing. I will have to stick with All The Worlds A Stage and Exit Stage Left for the beat live Rush. Different Stages is solid too.

JulesRules, DiabloG and johnny q like this.
  20. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

The audio from the original Grace Under Pressure video or the original radio broadcast sounds much better. (bootleg -- direct transfer not surprisingly I suppose.) Alex Lifeson appears to be the culprit on these reissues (audio.)

I'm always reaching for the original recording as it's a favorite of mine. I've been listening to it for more than 20 years before its commercial CD release.

I prefer the DVDs (not too shocking I guess) to the corresponding CD releases also. (Rush in Rio especially)

21. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Rush In Rio is incredible, far and away the best DVD Rush ever released. Too bad they had the weather problems and technical issues to pull off a picture/sound production like R30. R30 sounds incredible and the picture is pristine but it loses points for the lifeless German crowd.

22. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Didn't they use an overdub-less mix for the new DVD of P/G live? The lead vocals are often different from the old mix.

23. henry babenko

henry babenko Forum Resident

yes, but someone put the orginal ones on you tube from laserdisc.. I really can't tell, but everyone says the original exit and grace videos are the best sound wise.. I use to have them both on video years ago..

24. WyldRage

WyldRage Forum Resident

I was just offered a free "upgrade" from 24/48 to 24/96 for Rush - Power Windows which I purchased from Pono music. If you do as well, DO NOT USE IT, or at least DO NOT GET RID OF YOUR 24/48 FILES. The "new" 24/96 has a DR of 7, while the old 24/48 has a DR of 12. The 24/96 files are probably from the Sectors compilations.

25. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I wondered how that would be handled as the sectors releases were 24/96, but irrational chart readers coerced the label to limit many of the new better masterings to 24/48, despite them being mastered at 24/192. I originally wondered if they would offer them at all, given their "only the highest resolution" policy, but they did. Now it seems their "algorithm" might start replacing the new masterings with the Sectors ones. I did a quick check and it looks like Power Windows is the only one affected at this time. But yes, be careful if offered an "upgrade". Don't replace it but it might be fun to download it for comparison purposes.