Dyed-in-the-wool Digital boy wants a turntable.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by toddrhodes, Dec 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

See I'm not one for having a dozen versions of stuff. When I bought the 2011 versions, my old ones went away. I just don't have room, and would never put the old one on. I'm a listener, not a collector, so there's very few titles that i own more than one copy of unless it's in a different format. Only exception would be my old 1980ish MoFi originals. They ain't going anywhere. :)

2. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident Thread Starter

Generally I agree with you but a couple thoughts:

I only have two physical copies of it in my house - will soon be one, I'll unload the 40th here on the forums and give someone a chance to own a very nice, new-ish LP for a bargain. The rest of all the versions I have are folders on the network so they don't really "count" as far as space goes.

The second, and more interesting point is how contrary this all is to the "me" of two years ago. I knew there were differences in pressings/releases, etc... but they were so subtle to me at the time, I didn't much care. So long as something wasn't compressed to hell and back, I was pretty OK with it. But, that's the reason I built my room downstairs, or at least a big part of it - I wanted a quiet, purpose-built space to explore music. So, on some of my favorite stuff, I do have a couple of copies or multiple releases because today "me" can notice those differences and they aren't subtle.

So, it's all just a big experiment, of sorts, but it has had the immense benefit of getting me more interested in music at a personal level, an emotional level. With my digital rig I was always listening for "new information" or detail I hadn't heard before, or detail that came through more clearly after I made a change in hardware or environment. Now, though, it's more about the connection to what I'm hearing and how I respond to it emotionally. I still dig extra details but those are further down the priority chain now. And, for me, to bring this all back to the original point, stuff like the original UK DSOTM, or the 1st press Megaforce Ride the Lightning - not to sound trite and cliche - but they stir the soul just as much as the ears. They just scratch an itch I never knew I had, but am coming to appreciate far more as I go.

And again, that's not to say the 40th DSOTM isn't stirring. Just that I find the original moreso, for me personally :)

Kristofa likes this.
  3. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Yeah I feel that way also. I sold off my 1980 MFSL DSOTM last year (purged a bunch of Beatles duplicates also). The SACDs are all I need. :) I do have an original USA Capitol copy of DSOTM on my wall, complete with the stickers and posters! But that's wall art not a player - the vinyl itself is actually in pretty bad shape IIRC (It was a hand-me-down that I only ever played it once and was pretty disappointed).

4. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

You guys.....I don't know what else to say..without steppin' on toes...to each their own I guess....:shrug:

5. toddrhodes

This is a safe place @Slick Willie - say what you want :)

6. Slick Willie

Thanks, just don't want to turn this into a 'best pressing' debate. Got a lot of DSOTM and WYWH's and well - those 11's are....well, not my fav....I'll leave it at that.

Russooll, jon9091 and toddrhodes like this.
  7. toddrhodes

Gotcha - there's tons of info on these forums about the pressings, so good call there. I did check the WYWH I have and side two has HTM in the deadwax, but not side one. Both sound fine to me, but the exact copy I have has a few issues early in Shine On. In fact, I need to try and fix that with my new cleaning agent (Audio Intelligent #15, thanks Bill!)

8. toddrhodes

Almost forgot, going to my first record show tomorrow. Hoping to build the collection a little. Not specifically trying to focus on anything in particular, but looking for the following artists as a guideline:

SRV
    ELO
    BTO (not fragile)
    Santana
    DMB
    Alice Cooper (Love it to Death, Straight Records)
    Aerosmith
    Van Halen
    Van Morrison
    Elton
    Billy Joel
    The Kinks
    Radiohead
    Queen
    Alice in Chains
    Iron Maiden
    Ozzy
    Michael Jackson, specifically Off The Wall
    Avenged

Slick Willie likes this.
  9. Slick Willie

That is an excellent cleaner, used it for years now. I call it my magic elixir! Time consuming though....

10. toddrhodes

About how long do you let it sit before you vacuum/rinse it?

I'm listening to Crime of the Century now. First off, I can't wait to get my UK pressing of this. Second, I quite literally can't get enough of this album. The title track is on now so it's almost over, and I just love this album. It basically has something for everyone.

Slick Willie likes this.
  11. Slick Willie

COTC is a gem fo' sure.
    No real time frame, just don't let it dry. I use it to hand clean with a MoFi brush Activate for about a min. Let it do it's thing for about three more, then brush until it starts to evaporate.

toddrhodes likes this.
  12. toddrhodes

I don't think I'm letting it work long enough which is good advice - it already made a very positive impact not waiting that long on some of my LPs which are "noisy" but not as much afterward. I'll let it work longer, thanks dude!

Slick Willie likes this.
  13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Look for an early issue of "Astral Weeks" by Van Morrison, goes back to the 'W7" version of the label:

[​IMG]

toddrhodes likes this.
  14. toddrhodes

I shall do that - thanks Robin!!

Robin L likes this.
  15. toddrhodes

It's official - I'm not a record show guy. Both the aisles and boxes of vinyl were cramped to hell and back, the selection was meh and the prices were high. $15 for a double RL Back in Black that was beat to hell. No thank you.

I did manage to get an SRV reissue for $5 (Texas Flood) and a UK Houses of the Holy with Sterling in the deadwax, looks NM, can't wait to toss it on later. All in all, glad I went but won't be so excited for the next one to come around.

Kristofa, PhilBiker and Slick Willie like this.
  16. Slick Willie

I've sworn off record shows. The vendors seem to swap out the good stuff with each other.
    HOTH - is it a RL? B'way address? The SRV - reissued by who?

17. toddrhodes

Not an RL, no. Nothing about Broadway either, just Made in UK, with Sterling and AT in the deadwax. SRV was a Sundazed reissue - not looking for it to be a sonic powerhouse, just want to hear the LP and $5 was fair to me :)

Slick Willie likes this.
  18. toddrhodes

I didn't look closely enough, it does have Sterling RL on both sides.

Slick Willie likes this.
  19. Slick Willie

Yep, good price on the SRV. Sorry, I thought you were talking US on the Zep. BTW, don't stop looking for an RL!!! B'way or rock address, both are sweet. That UK should also be nice!!!

20. Slick Willie

:edthumbs: You're solid then!!!!!

21. toddrhodes

As advertised... damn! Listening to it now and it passed the first test - the "will this make me want to turn it up" test. Without a doubt, turn it up!

Slick, you'll be happy to know I finally pulled the trigger on BTO - Not Fragile. Should be here this week I hope. Looking for some new music. I got the Kendun cut (were they all?) but otherwise nothing noteworthy that I can recall about the one I bought. Also got a copy of the DDL Van Morrison Moondance, hopefully it's a clean one.

22. blakep

blakep Senior Member

I lost interest in record shows a long time ago. I think they can serve a purpose but I think you need to really identify the quality dealers at shows (which is not easy without buying from them!) and there's a real leap of faith when they disappear on to the next town the next day and there is no return privilege.

The experience that put me off shows a bit was many years ago; I remember purchasing a record that appeared to be pristine. Well, it actually was pristine in terms of appearance. When I got it home and played it, however, it played absolutely horrendously, full of noise, clicks, pops, etc. And no amount of cleaning would resurrect it. It had obviously been treated with something that really glossed up its appearance, probably something like armour all, windex, or straight isopropanyl (I've actually seen dealers clean with this using paper towels and/or cloths without any vacuuming-yuck!) but also pretty much permanently cemented a huge pile of crap in the grooves while making the record look flawless.

I learned very quickly not to pay big money for records with no right of return and I also learned that appearances can be deceiving with vinyl. To this day, I much prefer to buy records that show no appearance of ever having been cleaned by previous owners (or dealers). It's generally pretty easy to spot physical damage to records with a visual inspection-what one cannot tell is whether a record has been poorly or improperly cleaned that results in the record essentially being a write off.

As a result, I tend not to get too excited about shows. That, along with many of the patrons who use not bathing for a week before the show and exhibiting large quantities of bum cleavage as strategies to keep you away from the good stuff while they are pawing through it. ;)

martinb4, PhilBiker and Slick Willie like this.
  23. blakep

blakep Senior Member

A very nice pressing of that record if it's in good shape!

24. toddrhodes

Nailed it. This was my first record show so I didn't quite know what to expect. That last sentence though? Uh, yea. There may have been (a great many) present.

PhilBiker likes this.
  25. toddrhodes

That one and Not Fragile are coming from Discogs which, so far, I've had nothing but excellent luck with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.