Good Ol' Freda (Beatles-related documentary): Opinions?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by npgchris, Feb 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm not sure how, but this documentary completely escaped my notice. I recently picked up the Blu-Ray of "Nothing Can Hurt Me", the Big Star documentary, and there was a preview for a docu called "Good Ol' Freda" about the woman who ran the Beatles fan club during the 60's. It looked really cool, so I ordered it, and just watched it for the first time last night.

What a remarkable woman! It's safe to say that there are very few people on this earth who wouldn't have tried to make money off of their connection to a famous artist. (In this case, THE most famous musical act of the 20th century). It's really rare to find someone so unassuming, who had access to one of the biggest cultural phenomenons of recent times, yet didn't make a big deal of it or even mention it to people she knew afterward. Most people in her position would have lived off of the publicity they could have gotten from such a connection at conventions and fanfests, talk shows, book publicity tours, etc. etc. It's obvious when you see the film that those thoughts never (even momentarily) occured to her. I was really struck by what a special person she is, and it was easy to see why the members of The Beatles, and their families, adored her.

Since there are so many Beatles fans here at the Forum, I figured I'd start a thread about this documentary and get other people's thoughts on it. (I found one short thread about this film here, but it was closed and couldn't have comments added to it). I really enjoyed it and appreciated the insight it gave me into a very unique person.

What did you think? (And if you're a diehard Beatles fan and haven't seen it, I recommend it highly!)

Big Pasi likes this.
  2. The Absent-Minded Flaneur

The Absent-Minded Flaneur Forum Resident

It's a charming story. She went to amazing lengths to get autographs and trinkets for fans.

If only Apple would put her in charge of curating the band's unreleased material...

Benno123 likes this.
  3. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I've mentioned this doc several times in various threads, and consider it one of the best
    films about The Beatles I've ever seen. Not a re-hash of the same old stuff, but an
    entirely fresh look at the group's 10 year history (she was there for all of it).
    I especially like her talking about the very beginning, being a teenage fan, like all
    of the other girls in Liverpool at that time, when they were playing the Cavern club
    (I love the picture of her standing in the archway watching the group perform).
    Also, the trip to her attic, and all of the priceless fan club memorabilia she still
    had stashed away, was fascinating.
    Also, back in the sixties, she was a real cutie.........
    [​IMG]

StateOfTheArt and Gary like this.
  4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I loved it. One of the wonderfully extraordinary things about The Beatles for me is how loyal they were in keeping everyone who came up with them. Having said that, I would like to see Paul & Ringo make Freda a wealthy woman as she contributed enormously to their success by running their fan club.

5. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

It's great!~ I first saw it on Netflix & ordered the DVD when it was over. Highly recommended!

6. The Absent-Minded Flaneur

She didn't strike me as the kind of woman who would consider a gesture like that appropriate.

drasil likes this.
  7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Curious as to why you feel it's inappropriate?

8. The Absent-Minded Flaneur

I didn't say whether I considered it appropriate. But -

Re-read your own post and see how quickly your assessment of a human relationship ("how loyal they were") turns into a financial calculation ("they ought to make her a wealthy woman").

Your motives are of course generous and warm-hearted, or - as we might say - only vicariously mercenary. But what the film shows us is a woman who doesn't think like that.

StateOfTheArt and somnar like this.
  9. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

She's a nice lady and apparently was a good friend to them.
    I applaud her for not trying to capitalize on that friendship for all those years when she could have.
    That said, I will go against the grain and say that I found this to be a very boring movie that didn't keep my interest and didn't really inform me much about the band. Kind of like talking to your grandfather and having him relate stories that while, no doubt true, really had nothing interesting about them, but you just kindly sit an listen and smile because...well, he's old and a nice guy.

10. sixtiesstereo

Odd, it's got 5 stars on Amazon and 4 on Rotten Tomatoes. I guess you're entitled to your opinion, but you are in the minority.......
    Here's the trailer for anyone thinking of checking it out.

11. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Got half way through it tonight but will finish it tomorrow. Loving it! Wonderful personal insight into The Beatles families and inner circle. She's a lovely lady. I can see why she was trusted with such an important job.

12. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Well, the title of the thread actually did ask for opinions and the OP did ask "What do you think?" I acknowledged in my previous post that my opinion was likely a minority one (going against the grain).
    And yes, I am entitled to my opinion and don't need your permission or your "guess that I'm entitled to it" or telling me that I am "in the minority......." I hope you feel so wonderful that you are in the majority.
    I am well aware that others liked it. I just didn't.
    Sorry I hurt your field, mister.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Scooterpiety likes this.
  13. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Just watched it again and enjoyed it a lot. Freda comes across as a very loyal person, and I'm glad has decided to share her memories.
    I cannot help but wonder what similar documentaries from Brian Epstein, Mal Evans, Neil Aspinall and Derek Taylor (among others) would be like, if they were still alive and willing to tell their stories.

14. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I really liked the movie, and Freda.

chacha likes this.
  15. npgchris

Yeah, I enjoyed seeing the few pics there were of her at The Cavern. It of course makes you wish there were more photos (and at least one decent film of them) from that period. It's easy to understand why there isn't film of those times, but what an amazing time in music history that was, and all we have are the stories and memories of those who were there. Considering she saw them so many times in those days, I'm sure there are tons of anecdotes she could share, but I guess they'd only be of interest to super Beatles geeks (of which there are probably plenty in this Forum!).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  16. npgchris

I get what you're saying, but to me it was fascinating to hear the perspective of someone who was on the inside, and how (through her personality and charm) she was able to get people to assist her when she needed it (it was obvious everyone didn't want to disappoint Freda). Because of her nature - not being one to gossip or "kiss and tell" - it can sorta make for un-sensationalized (yeah, I know there's no such word) material. But there were plenty of interesting nuggets: about working for Brian Epstein, her relationships with the family members of the Beatles, her loyalty to her father when everyone else relocated to London, how serious she took the correspondence from Beatles fans to their idols, and the revelation that she got John to beg her on his knees not to leave them.

And again, it's a portrait of a very rare person indeed. There just aren't that many people with the principles to place the importance of friendship and loyalty over money (especially money that could so easily have been hers, when she lives a very modest existence). While I can certainly understand the desire to hear more "juicy" or revelatory stories, the fact that she won't share them (when she could) is part of the point of the movie.

(BTW, the "sorry I hurt your field, mister" line made me laugh!)

dewey02 likes this.
  17. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Great little film. It was a neat way of seeing a very familiar subject from a completely new vantage point.

18. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

yes, that's exactly my thought. I enjoyed it a lot.

19. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

I watched it a few months ago and enjoyed it.

20. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I think you and I may be alike in that we know a LOT about the band. I want to know more about what was going on around them. THAT'S why I loved this movie. Another person I'm fascinated with is Lindy Ness. Lewisohn's book only had a few pages with mention of her, but when it did I loved it. I really felt her pain when she made the decision to never visit the Cavern again because they had lost THEIR Beatles. Good Ol Freda is the bomb!

dewey02 and O Don Piano like this.
  21. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Some folks take their "going against the grain" VERY seriously. Especially on this forum. They want to always have the opposing viewpoint of something considered great even at the expense of enjoying something great.

Tim S and sixtiesstereo like this.
  22. sixtiesstereo

Well said, and it's something I've noticed on this forum (occasionally) for 10 years now.
    Doesn't bother me, but sometimes it seems to fit your description very well.

O Don Piano likes this.
  23. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

Loved it. And I found Freda to be an absolutely lovely person. We could use a few million more kind, humble souls like her on this planet.

Gregory Earl and Mister Charlie like this.
  24. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Yeah, but when the 'going against the grain' is done respectfully and honestly (like the above) its what keeps the forum fresh and lively, don't you think? :agree:

dewey02 likes this.
  25. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Thank you for saying this.
    I think Freda is a wonderful person who has very high morals and standards.
    I just didn't find her movie all that interesting or informative for me. The OP asked for opinions and I provided mine, acknowledging that it was a minority opinion.
    What I don't understand is those who claim they are not bothered by minority opinions, but then make accusations about people they don't know always taking negative opinions even at the expense of enjoying something great. Well guess what - I watched the entire film. I didn't make a comment without watching it. I didn't turn it off halfway through. I sat and watched. I just didn't find it that rewarding.
    I can appreciate and "like" many of the comments by those who explained why they did enjoy the film.
    And I like LOTS of things. The 1999 remasters, the mono masters, the 1+ package (though it could have been done better), the BBC albums, the Lewisohn book, etc.
    If everyone responded to every post on SHF with "It was great, I really liked it" then this would be a poor forum indeed.
    Again, thanks for understanding. And to those who just can't seem to be able to tolerate or comprehend an opinion that varies from their own...well, hello! :).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    Lost In The Flood and Tim S like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.