New Steven Wilson Album: "4 1/2"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Olias of Sunhill, Nov 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

For me
    Up the down and sky = Floyd
    Voyage = Space Rock
    Signify = Floyd meets red era Crimson/kraut
    Light Bulb and Stupid = pop prog - Coldplay on acid
    Absentia and Deadwing - harder prog metal sound with all the above thrown in.
    Fear = same as above but darker. Prefer Nil recurring outtakes
    The incident - time flys - the greatest prog moment in Porcs history surrounded by so-so stuff.
    My faves - Signify, Deadwing, Light bulb and Nil recurring. Only one I never go back to is Fear.

yesstiles and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  2. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

What are the two mixes of "Signify II" like on this new set? Greatly different from the original?

3. Sadcafe

I have only 'hit' the one version- parallel grooves make this a random selection. Annoying yet compelling. 4 attempts so far same 'secular' mix. Not hugely different but has a tighter feel and smoother flow.

4. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

I HATE this type of categorization. It's music, not detergent.
    are you REALLY able to feel music ?
    and if i tell you that my "faves" are Metanoia, Transmission/moonloop and Recordings ....
    that you didnot "classify" nor elected ... do you know these ?

danielbravo likes this.
  5. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

I HATE this type of categorization. It's music, not detergent.
    are you REALLY able to feel music ?
    and if i tell you that my "faves" are Metanoia, Transmission/moonloop and Recordings ....
    that you didnot "classify" nor elected ... do you know these ?

6. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Thanks. I didn't realise it was a double groove! Let us know when / if you ever get to hear the other mix! ;)

7. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Thanks for your input! I'll definitely give them a listen!

That was my starter table. Very good decision. Make sure after you get it and get used to it and learn to operate and setup a turntable properly, you take the internal preamp out. There are numerous guides here and it really helps with sound quality. I was very, very happy with the table after I removed it.

8. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I first heard, "Signify" around 2008. That hooked me. After that; "Stupid Dream". I pretty much have everything on CD & DVD moving forward, includng most of the Burning Shed downloads. I have the CD of "On The Sunday of Life" (Steven Wilson's first PT album), but I haven't listened to it in years.
    I have purchased PT vinyl from Burning Shed. But; my last several LPs, I purchased from, SoundStageDirect right here in the U.S. Excellent customer service, & free shipping over $49.99.
    For me; essential Porcupine Tree albums are .. (LP) indicates I have these on vinyl as well as CD.

Signify (LP)
    Stupid Dream (LP)
    The Sky Moves Sideways (LP)
    In Absentia (LP)
    Recordings (LP)
    Deadwing (awaiting LP re-release)
    Stars Die - The Delirium Years
    Metanoia
    Voyage 34
    Lightbulb Sun
    Up The Downstair
    Fear of a Blank Planet (LP)
    The Incident (LP)
    Anesthesitize (4 LP box set & DVD set)

There have been quite a few downloads from Burning Shed and Steven Wilson's site over the years. A few mentioned here.
    Nil Recurring, Coma Divine - Live in Rome, Warsawa, come to mind. I have, Coma Divine on CD. I really like these.
    Many of then PT albums are also available on DVD DTS 5.1. I have most of these. Quite Good!
    The DVD, "Arriving Somewhere" (recorded in Chicago on Oct. 11/12 2005) is fantastic!!! I consider this essential Porcupine Tree.
    Looking through my PT stuff, I just realized that I also have "Anesthesitize" on blu-ray. It hasn't yet been opened. ☺

I still need, "Octane Twisted" on DVD / Blu-ray, & some of Steven Wilson's solo work. As his solo albums go, my favorites are, "The Raven That Refused To Sing", & "Hand.Cannot.Erase". I have the LPs of these. "Insurgentes", & "Grace For Drowning" are his first two solo albums. I prefer "Grace For Drowning" of those. Transcience", & "4 1/2", I also have on vinyl. Great music!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  9. One that I really enjoy and play a lot is the acoustic set, We Lost the Skyline.. I have both cd and vinyl versions but it's another that would probably be welcomed with a vinyl reissue. Shame that it's such a short set though.

10. GKH

GKH Senior Member

That is enjoyable! I only have the CD of that. I wasn't aware there was a vinyl offering.
    Apparently; if I remember correctly, that was to be a little Porcupine Tree show at a record store. But, they didn't have the space for the entire band. So; Steven played solo. Correct me if I'm wrong.

11. Sadcafe

Wow. Keep taking the meds. It was a basic response to a request from someone saying they liked the more progressive rock. What's your problem.? As for do you really feel music? Question- laughable, get a life sunshine... And yes I do know those releases you mention but chose to stick to the main releases.

12. From discogs-
    "On the 4th October 2007 Porcupine Tree arrived for an in-store performance and signing session at Park Avenue CDs in Orlando, Florida, with 200 fans also in attendance. Although it was originally planned that the full band would play, lack of space dictated that it was only the 2 guitarists / singers Steven Wilson and John Wesley who delivered an impromptu performance, including many songs rarely (if ever) played by the band, making for a very special and intimate show. Fortunately this one-off performance was captured by a remote recording facility and the complete 8 song, 33 minute show."

There were two vinyl versions, a marbled 1000 copy release and the regular in black. Not sure how many of the black were done but it was oop by the time I discovered PT via your post about the Anesthetize vinyl box set. That post has had dire consequences for my pocket by the way ;).

13. GKH

GKH Senior Member

Aw! John Wesley!
    (working a Rush 'Signals' jigsaw puzzle, I was too lazy to look at it in my collection :))
    Thanks for posting that!
    Some of the early PT LPs, marbled, colored, etc,,,, if you weren't in the know at the time, you were out of luck.
    "Moonloop" comes to mind. I'll probably never own it.
    I'm hoping I get a shot at, "Deadwing"! It just needs to be re-released.
    I have Steven Wilson's Cover Versions on CD with the limited edition box. I see that it is being offered as LPs now, as well.

And, you're welcome!! Lol! My getting back into vinyl about 4 years ago has definitely become my #1 hobby!!! :)
    A lot of $$$ being spent, for sure!

nibor likes this.
  14. Yes, blink twice and special editions are gone. I missed the Cover Versions cd box but was fortunate enough to get the 6 45rpm singles. They never came with a box for storage though, shame.
    I did get the lp version last year, much easier to play than getting up ever couple of minutes to flip a single.
    I'm also a huge fan of No-Man/Tim Bowness and have manged to pick up some of his recent limited versions but you have to be on the right news feeds and mailing lists to do that.

15. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Thanks for the input!

16. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Well, some may appreciate, when getting acquainted with some artist with a huge catalog
    It was obviously an attempt to help a fellow board member

Alternative4 likes this.
  17. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Thanks for the advice. I figured when I do get a TT, there are a few threads on the SHF to check out what I need to do(e.g. Recommendations for Cartidges that best go with an AT-120LP or whatever TT I end up getting, if there are other good start up options, good low cost options for other needed components, etc.).

Maybe, I will PM you at that time(might not be til December) with a few questions, but since you brought up taking out the internal preamp, did you mean that it is not needed, or it should be replaced with another preamp?

I have already found the SHF to be a valuable resource to figure out what new vinyl(even those that are made using digital) are of good quality whether it be a quality pressing company like Pallas, Optimal, etc., or which albums are well mastered(specific recording engineers like the host, among others-I did get 'Rumours' by SH/KG in an order through Elusive Disc). The vinyl I took a chance on without any research was the 'Live' album by Tame Impala, as thought it might be limited in number, and saw one at a B & N, which offered 25% off coupons last December(I used those coupons to also get 'Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik' and 'The Queen is Dead').

18. GKH

GKH Senior Member

I have quite a few of the No Man albums on CD. None of the LPs yet. :)
    Also; I have the first 3 Blackfield albums on CD. The first 2 studio albums and the Live in New York, I really like.

You really have to wonder how Steven Wilson does it all! Not to mention, his many other projects.

19. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

He really is remarkable. I'm impressed.

20. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

If he's really considering revisiting the early albums reissuing them as pristine sounding as possible, count me in. Loved Gavin Harrison's re-recorded drumming contributions on Up the Downstair for one. I also wouldn't mind revised artwork (or perhaps higher resolution images) for his EP's too like Staircase Infinities for example, even if they will still be a bonus disc etc.

21. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

meds ? none in sight ... no labs to feed around here . for the sunshine, no pbs ... Jurançon is perfect for that... check out on Google ... .

22. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

i overreacted because i am fed up of seing people consider the early PTs as "pink floyd"
    TSMS is unique, Tranmission/moonloop as well and metanoia too. These 3 ones -with staircase - are in the same style, same moods...
    they show how good Colin Edwin and Chris Maitland are ... These items arent subproducts of PFloyd ... TSMS is 1995, Transmission 1994 ( without Barbieri ) and Metanoia 1995.
    Fro me , it the peak of SW /PT ... By far ... and Stars Die is outstanding.
    For me the worst PT are ... In Absentia & Nil Recurring

23. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I am one of the people, who made the comparison of early-mid '90s PT music to 'Atmospheric' Pink Floyd. Not sure how you would translate that comment to mean that an album like 'The Sky Moves Sideways' is a 'subproduct' of Pink Floyd, as I see the 'Atmospheric' Pink Floyd comparison, as a positive influence, but whatever.

Even one of SW's earliest songs, 'Radioactive Toy' sounded like a great way to carry on the Pink Floyd sound. At least we agree that it is better than some of the mid 2000 music made by PT, although I think 'Fear of a a Blank Planet' is one of their best albums(however, I did not care for the B-Sides-'Nil Recurring' that much, which followed 'FOABP'). I do respect though, that some people like the PT 'Heavier' sound from the mid 2000 period more than the music I liked up through 'Lightbulb Sun', as we all have different taste. Actually, I like the 4 albums under the SW name a lot also, and glad he went in a different direction, as felt the 'Heavier' sound was getting stale with 'The Incident'(although 'Times Flies' is a great song from that album).

Of course, this is just my opinion on the music of PT made in the 'Early-Mid '90s, and cannot speak for all of the other period comparisons of the PT catalog that was made by the other forum member whose comments seemed to make you 'Fed Up'. Not sure why any person's opinion on music would make you 'Fed Up', as we are not dealing with facts here(although, I would not be surprised if Steven Wilson ever mentioned in an interview that Pink Floyd was a major influence on his earlier music)', but just our own take on music.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I gotta say...I may be late to the party but I'm pretty damn excited to see Steven Wilson for the first time in a couple weeks. :D

bunkaroo likes this.
  25. Sadcafe

Steven Wilson himself references and regrets trying to be the new Pink Floyd in this period. See his Wiki page and read the reference in his 1999 Dutch interview:
    : "I can't help that. It's true that during the period of 'The Sky Moves Sideways', I had done a little too much of it in the sense of satisfying, in a way, the fans of Pink Floyd who were listening to us because that group doesn't make albums any more. Moreover, I regret it".
    So the albums I referenced were deliberately influenced by Floyd. I agree that his earlier recordings (which I deliberately did not reference) were far more experimental and subtle. Just right for hipsters. I tend to think of the earlier releases as solo projects as opposed to band projects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.