Favorite Kiss Lp and Why ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ronnie Potchie, Sep 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I imagine because the band stylizes their name as so :) Plus, it just sounds hella cooler anyway.

2. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Most popular soviet version back in the day was KinderSS.

3. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Torn.

I guess my favorite is Rock and Roll Over. Bought it on release, as an expensive import. It was just magic.

But then I can't completely ignore Alive! which was just glued to my turntable. I can't count how many times I sat and listened to all four sides of that straight.....

4. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

My favourite studio album of theirs is ''Lick It Up''. I think it contains of strong songs througout and I love Vinnie Vincents playing on the album. It's the first album I ever bought on vinyl as a nine year old boy in 1984. Really love ''Creatures of the Night'' too, it's my second favourite. Even though I like the 70's albums, I'm one of the few who like their 1982-87 albums the most.

5. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

In my opinion, the solo albums are not eligible for this thread. They may bear the Kiss logo, but they are not "Kiss" albums.

I have four favorite Kiss albums: "Kiss" (s/t), "Dressed to Kill", "Destroyer" and "Music from the Elder". But if I have to choose just one, it's probably "Destroyer".

6. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

Dressed to Kill.

I bought it when it was the "new album" from Kiss.

I already had the first two, and the recording and mix on this, was a big step up from the previous two. Frehley's playing was top notch on some of this stuff, that solo on Love Her All I Can is one of his best.

Todd W. and Paulo Alm like this.
  7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Same here; instantly loved it and hoped they'd have gone in that direction but it flopped:shake:

8. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Because it's supposed to be "in your face" like the music.

Also, look at every time they write the name. Look at all the album covers posted here. It's KISS. Look at the backdrop of lights they have behind them when they play. It's all caps.

Todd W. likes this.
  9. lamf1983

lamf1983 Forum Resident

Dressed to Kill, easily -- best songs and (IMO) production. The whole things rocks and feels completely natural.

vamborules and Todd W. like this.
  10. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Destroyer. For me it is the only time Kiss's sound has been a match for their OTT visuals.

11. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

This^

Marble Index and lamf1983 like this.
  12. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

It's a toss up between Hotter Than Hell and Love Gun. HTH was the first KISS album I got. It was one of the Polygram cassettes, given to me for Christmas 1989. I actually thought the tape was defective because the sound quality was so bad. But I've grown to think that the sonic murk suits the material. I love Ace's and Peter's playing on the entire album - and the opening riff to "Got To Choose" is one of my favorite rock and roll moments.

I also find the anything-goes-musically period from 1979 to 1982 to be really fascinating. It's rare to find four albums in a row in any artist's canon where the overall sound shifts so dramatically.

13. I totally agree with this. The band name and characters were just a marketing strategy, but the albums aren't band efforts. I don't think the whole band would have agreed to include something like "When You Wish Upon A Star" on one of their albums.

14. Totally respectable, but I think it's just a styling thing. I mean, nothing wrong with writing "KISS", but nothing wrong with "Kiss" either, since it doesn't mean anything different than "an act or instance of kissing". Only the first letter should be in caps since it's a proper noun in this case.

Paulo Alm likes this.
  15. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

I understand where you're coming from but I don't think it's mandatory at all, especially since this is only a message board.

16. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Rock and roll over. Inherited it from an aunt. Got me hooked and it was downhill from there. Loved every minute of it.

17. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

That's a fun favorite to have.

18. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

'Goin' Blind' is one of my favorite KISS songs. :cry:

Paulo Alm, Todd W. and Curveboy like this.
  19. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

Make up era? Love Gun. To me, it epitomized what KISS was all about, finally summed up on one album.

Post-make up? Crazy Nights.

Sue me

hi_watt likes this.
  20. I don't think that "Love Gun" is the best Kiss album, but I agree that the band went all uphill from the beginning up to that point. Their greatness started diluting after "Love Gun".

(And that's exactly what I think of Iron Maiden's "Powerslave", BTW)

21. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

22. SinisterGinger

SinisterGinger Forum Resident

I'd probably say KISS Alive! for the live side of KISS and either Dressed To Kill, Destroyer, Revenge or maybe even Asylum (I play this album a lot these days! Never used to be a fan but the 2014 reissue really made me appreciate it a lot more) as my favourite KISS studio album.

23. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

Love them all but Lick it Up is my favorite. It's the strongest from start to finish and I love me some Vinnie. That riff in Fits Like a Glove still melts my face off all these years later.

andy75 and hi_watt like this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The first album with Strutter and a ton of classics. Dressed to Kill is also loaded up good with real classics that they never topped.

But the first album is just more fun and better songs that later albums like Love Gun.

25. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.