Keeping vinyl close to electric baseboards

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Denti, Feb 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denti

Denti Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have my records in an IKEA Expedit, which is by a window under which is an electric baseboard heater. The bottom shelf of the Expedit does not hold records, but the second shelf does, and when the baseboard is running, which it is a lot these days, the ends of the records facing the window/baseboard on this second shelf get warm. Should I be concerned about warping or damaging the records?

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Thing is, how warm ? Measure it. A tad warm in no concern. More than that.... Supposedly well-stashed records can withstand room temps up to 50 Celsius. Now localized heat is a different animal.

3. Denti

I only have kitchen thermometers.

4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Those will do. Pull out enough records as to fit the device as close to where you feel the offending heat is circulating (record's edge) and measure.

5. Denti

88 degrees, after turning the heat up.

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

No problem. If you can move the unit away by just another inch or two, you will likely see that drop another couple of degrees. What I would do, as an added bit of insurance, is to just have a thick piece of glass cut (1/4" plate) to the size of an Lp cover and slide it into the last space, against the furniture wall as an insulator. Measuring on the other side (the Lp side) of the glass this time, you will likely see another couple of degrees fall off. I don't see 88 degrees as hot though, as long as the LP's are vertical and not leaning so as to cause any bending.
    -Bill

Aftermath and The Pinhead like this.
  7. Denti

So what would be too hot?

8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Anything over 100 degrees would be a poor location choice IMO. I am sure they would warp if exposed to 150 degree plus temps with any lateral pressure to deform them.
    -Bill

9. Denti

OK, so keeping it under 90 is safe. I had a printer up against one of the other room. It was touching the baseboard, mind you, but still: it got warped. So I got worried.

10. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

Can you tape a piece of Styrofoam to the back of the shelf t provide a little insulation from the heat? I'm not certain how far away is safe, but I can tell you I melted an LP I received as a Christmas present by leaning it up against a baseboard heater when i was 10.

11. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

You may want to pull out an LP in the hottest area. Remove it from the sleeve, carefully noting which part of the LP was closest to the heat. If you notice and discoloring, orange peel effect or a shinier appearance in that area, move the shelf further away from the heat now.

12. WntrMute2

WntrMute2 Forum Resident

Really, if you are asking the question, it is too close and hot. You will never be truly comfortable until those records are well away from localized heat. Mind you, I'm not saying that 88 degrees is too hot; just If I was asking the same question, I'd just change things so that was no longer an issue in my mind!

Dennis0675 and FJosh like this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

If the printer got warped from the heat so will the vinyl. I'd find a cooler spot in the room.

14. Denti

Well, the printer was *touching* the baseboards. The vinyl is some ways (6-8 inches maybe) away. I noticed that putting something in the back to insulate did not help, because it's the Expedit itself that was absorbing the heat and transferring it to the vinyl.

So, yes, I moved them. Not ideal, but it had to be done.

Tullman likes this.
  15. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

Or turn off that particular baseboard heater.
    You could always get a small electric portable heater for that room if needed.

The records are more important than being cozy. Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.