Ever seen a commercial, pre-recorded CD which is a "blank shot" (no data encoded)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParloFax, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParloFax

ParloFax Senior Member Thread Starter

I was at the thrift shop today and came upon this double CD set of organist Jennifer Bate playing Olivier Messiaen's "Le Livre du Saint-Sacrement", on an English label with a strange name, from the late 80s.

I was struck that even though disc two's label side looked normal (actually the hue was not the same as disc one's), its play side appeared blank! I checked it on a machine in the store, and indeed it was! I have never seen this before...

2. ParloFax

(Bump for the night)

3. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

i've never run across anything like this...but i have bought discs with the wrong music.. & somehow the encoding was off center, that is, it wouldn't play without skipping, but I could rip it, but it would take a long time.

Never found a disc that was blank though.

4. ParloFax

Here is below a link to the CD title in question (sorry about this folks - the "photo bucket" thing is such a pain...). The label is Unicorn-Kanchana.

Something now dawns on me. Could it be that the label layer actually got slapped over the play side? If this makes any sense at all, then when I go back there I should check if it plays topsy-turvy...

JENNIFER BATE - MESSIAEN livre du saint sacrement UNICORN-KANCHANA 2xCDs NM »

5. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

It's highly unlikely, but not impossible -- when the discs are molded they are placed on spindles by the machine, those spindles are moved to and loaded into the silkscreen press as-is. The press them unloads the discs on at a time onto the silkcreen "train", where they are printed one color at a time and then loaded onto another spindle at the outfeed side.

Someone would have had to taken the discs off of the spindle and inverted them in order to print on the data side of the disc, or at least the top disc (the one you ended up with). And to top it off, there is a camera that looks at every disc as it is printed and that system would have caught the upside-down disc(s) so that system would have had to been turned off as well.

ParloFax likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.