Looking for a new turntable...again

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by youraveragevinylcollector, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident Thread Starter

A long time ago, I posted that I wanted an Audio Technica LP-120 turntable, however, after seeing the wow and flutter spec on it, and the fact that the cart it came with wasn't very good, I decided to abandon it. I currently own an Audio Technica LP-60, but its flaws are getting in the way of enjoying music (high wow and flutter and severe inner groove distortion, especially on records pressed in the current millenium). I'm thinking about getting a Technics or Pioneer direct drive turntable (but one that won't break the bank) or a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC, possibly even a Technics 1200 thats cheap and needs a tonearm or is slightly beaten up. As long as it serves the purpose of good fidelity, low speed variations and IGD, it's fine. As for preamps, I'm thinking about getting a Pro-Ject Phono Box or a cheap, but good tube preamp. As for the cartridge, an Audio Techinca AT-440MLa/MLb is definitely a want, an Ortofon cartridge (old or new, heard great things about them), or a Shure M97-xE. I'd rather have a balanced frequency response and a wide soundstage. I'd really appreciate any help as to what to buy and where to look. I want to go best bang-for-your-buck, and have a good overall sound quality. Sorry if I sound a tad picky, but, I want something that'll sound good amongst all genres of music 1950s-now.

2. maskdbagel

maskdbagel Forum Resident

Lots of options out there, and lots of good wisdom around here as well. Just wanted to chime in with experience on all of the cartridges you mentioned: there is no comparison between the AT440 and the others. I hear the MLb is just as good as the MLa, and the MLa is hands down my favorite cart I've owned at any price.

3. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Even a "beat up" SL-1200 is better than a Debut.:)

jeff

BayouTiger and WapatoWolf like this.
  4. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

youraverage expresses interest in the Technics SL1200. What are the differences between the SL-1x00 tables and the newer, less desireable and less expensive Technics direct drive turntables that have the same rumble and wow and flutter specs? Do all of the SL-1xoo and later Technics direct drive tables work equally well with the AT440 cartridges? Could save him some $$$.

5. youraveragevinylcollector

Finally, someone who thinks like I do...

6. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

As examples, SL-D3, SL-D1, SL-DD22, SL3200, Sl-QD3 all sold recently for less than $100 on eBay recently. A fraction of the prices of SL-1200s. They have very similar specs. Are the 1200s that much better? If so, why?

7. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Build quality, durability, flexibility (ex. tonearm height).

8. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread. Can anybody comment on Technics move from s shaped tonearms to straight ones on their later direct drive models? Better? Worse? Toss up? Will both arms work equally well with the AT440?

9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yes. See aroney's reply above.
    -Bill

10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I haven't compared every deck of course, but here is the answer to your general question about arm shape. Arm shape does not make an arm better or worse in itself. Two things are important regarding arm shape. One is the offset angle of the headshell. This can be the same on both a straight or curved, or S shaped arm tube, so no difference there is possible although some arms do have different geometries. Basically, it can go either way here but it isn't due to a curve or no curve, rather to arm length and offset at termination. The second thing is the mass of the arm. In general, a straight arm tube is lower in mass than a curved or S shaped arm tube, but even that can vary depending on materials and design. So either shape can work fine with that or many other cartridges.

What is more important than the shape therefore is the offset angle of the arm (being most compatible with the best cartridge alignment geometries), and the mass of the arm (being most compatible with the widest range of cartridges). Then there are other features which are just as important at least, and often more important when the first two basic requirements mentioned have been met, and that is the quality of the assembly. The bearings, the arm tube, it's fittings, and the stability and acoustic transmission properties of the arm as a whole.
    -Bill

11. youraveragevinylcollector

Whether it be a straight or curved tonearm, the 4 things I'm worried about are build quality, sound quality, price, and as @KT88 says, compatibility with cartridges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.