Traffic-When the Eagle Flies:best sounding CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluerondo, Feb 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluerondo

bluerondo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I woke up this morning out of the blue with the Traffic release "When the Eagle Flies" on my mind. I own the "Island Masters" CD version of that release, but I would be interested to hear from folks what they consider to be the best CD version of that release. I did a search to see if that had been addressed, and maybe I just didn't use the right key words, but I didn't see much if any comment on this. I know it's not considered by many to be Traffic's best release, but I like it anyways.

agn likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

I'd bet that the best one is the original Island CD. Catalog number CID 9273, bar code 5014474302732.

Also, this thread may be of help to you.

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    rockclassics likes this.
  4. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

All of the Island Traffic remasters sound great.

Siegmund and ARK like this.
  5. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

You forget to mention you are referring to the US Island Traffic remasters.

ARK likes this.
  6. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Correct, the U.S. Island Traffic remasters.

ARK likes this.
  7. gazebo

gazebo Active Member

I do have a slight preference for my UK Island Masters cd over the 2003(?) US remaster, it just sounds a little warmer to my ears. The botched UK remasters were only of the early Traffic albums, so you're fairly safe with this title.

While I don't have the original UK Island cd you mention, I do have both originals and Island Masters versions for a couple of other Traffic albums and they are the same mastering. IIRC the Island Masters series was a repackaging at mid-price, not a remastering exercise.

Endymion and George P like this.
  8. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Interesting as I've recently bought the Island Masters CD of this record (IMCD142) and it sounds incredibly shrill to my ears, certainly not what I suspect it should sound like (this is the first time I've heard this record, which is a distinct grower).

It sounds botched to me, in a similar way to the Joni 'Court And Spark' CD (interestingly both LP's are about the same age - may have been the fashionable mastering of the day).

9. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I've only heard the remaster of this title. To my ears, original Island CDs all sound of a piece - sloppily transferred and unconvincing. I avoid them like the plague!

Nick Dunning likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.