Best sound for The Way It Is - Bruce Hornsby

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David Ellis, May 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Yeah I didn't find it overly bright either, quite dynamic, I enjoy it, plus I love that old RCA Blue Rainbow on the spine!:)

Last edited: May 16, 2014
  2. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I have the lp and it is just OK. Wasn't this released as the lp was declining, so I can understand why the sound might be the way it is.

OptimisticGoat and Kristofa like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

1986 all I can remember are records and cassettes at my local shop in Cadillac

4. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

I'm holding my breath for the inevitable European Blue Rainbow RCA CD Spines vs. Japanese Red Rainbow RCA Spines thread. It can't be long now. :winkgrin:

5. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I just got a 45 of THE WAY IT IS and its beautiful sounding.. I dont think they compromised the analog media of this album.. (digital recording) (On the 33 or 45 (Dunno about the cassette)) as it sounds georgeous!! (I think they mixed it seperatly for digital media (As Madonna did with TRUE BLUE)) (Nicest I have ever heard this song)

I have tried to find info about it but I cant.......

EDIT:

After I listenend to this MP3 of that song (192k) I think I can say definetly IT IS NOT A DIGITAL RECORDING!!! (My 45 sounds better,more natural,etc......)

Code:
    http://richrock.com/media/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/Bruce%20Hornsby%20&%20The%20Range/The%20Way%20It%20Is

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    Dee Zee likes this.
  6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

After listening to this a couple times it really doesnt have much bass in the song... I wonder if the copy of this song ON MY 45 is the same exact one as on the album itself?? (Which is compromised)

Well its too be expected...1986 right? -- Hard to find GOOD analogue @ that point...

7. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

It has been a while since I have listened to it, but from memory the whole album is a little bass-shy, at least on the CD versions I own...but it is a good sounding recording, nonetheless!?

8. Darren Richardson

Darren Richardson Forum Resident

I have the original made in Japan CD (PCD1-5904). The whole album is bright and thin.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    George P and audiomixer like this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I only have the first CD release...works for me.

10. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

According to Elusive Disc's listings there is a new 180g release of The Way It Is coming, pressed at RTI and mastered by Kevin Gray.
    http://www.elusivedisc.com/Bruce-Hornsby-The-Range-The-Way-It-Is-180g-LP/productinfo/EXHLP44072/

I would like to know what the source material was for this, nobody in this thread mentions whether they know for sure how the album was recorded. Still with Kevin at the helm I'm pretty sure I'm going to check it out and compare to the original vinyl I have (not the first pressing with the alternate trippy cover but the one with the bridge) which also sounds better than the original CD to me.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    c-eling and Faceman like this.
  11. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

'Spirit Trail' with a new mastering and/or deluxe edition would make me a very happy camper.Actually his whole catalog could use a little love.The guys a genius imho.

OptimisticGoat and dobyblue like this.
  12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, I really like Hornsby too and would like to see some more new vinyl and high resolution stuff released.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  13. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Red Light just confirmed that The Way It Is was originally recorded to analogue tape and the original masters were used.

SCORE!! Can't see how this one could go wrong. :)

driverdrummer likes this.
  14. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Same here, my 45 of the song sounds great. I made a digital burn of it.

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The original vinyl is thin and bright - This is all too common with UK 80s vinyl. Tripped up highs and lack of body in the lower frequencies. I've heard worse than the Way It Is but if KG has mastered it from the original tapes it's going to be a big improvement. Note the brightness on these 80s pressings was not so intrusive on equipment from back in the day. It has been argued that an 80s Linn Sondek was balanced (coincidently?) to make the best of such pressings. They sure sound bad on my Gyrodec.

dobyblue likes this.
  16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is good news! I wonder if KG kept it all analog though.:sigh:

17. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Finally this seems to have been sent to distributors (the new KG mastering from Exhibit) using the original analogue master tapes, Amazon.ca just shipped mine so I should have it on Sunday.

$24 from Amazon US - www.amazon.com/Way-HORNSBY-BRUCE-RANGE/dp/B00SVDJ0CC/

18. Dam

Dam Forum Resident

Has anyone had a chance to have a listen to this one yet...how does it sound?

19. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

When I first got mine it was unusually noisy for an RTI pressing and I exchanged it, finally got a chance to give it a listen this morning. Was going to just listen to the opening track for sonics but it was SO GOOD that I ended up listening right through to the end of The Long Race. Finally I get to listen to this album with some really nice low end, not bloated at all, just what this should have sounded like from the get go. Nice flat pressing this time around, perfectly centred, really nice mastering by Kevin Gray.

I notice it's still only US$24 @ Amazon USA - I highly recommend it and if you enjoy this album I think you'll most likely agree it's never sounded anywhere near this good.

Absolutely, and I think the original CD sounds the same way in terms of the lack of coherence in the low end. Exhibit and Kevin Gray have delivered the definitive analog version of The Way It Is, no doubt.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  20. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

This new reissue sounds like something I'll have to check out. I found a NM copy of the original vinyl only yesterday. It's a totally different cover that I never even knew existed (NFL 1-8058). I find it an enjoyable listen but do find myself wanting more fullness in the lower frequencies. A richer sounding version of this should be beautiful.

21. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

I paid 25 cents for my 45 and I agree it is very beautiful sounding. My dad has the LP and the song sounds better on my 45 than on his album.

22. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I've had a chance to play the Exhibit reissue several times now. I've compared individual tracks against the original LP. This is a great album IMO and I like both copies. The reissue is cut at a lower volume so needs to be turned up further to match volumes (less compressed?) and where I think it wins out is in mid range purity. The recording will never be up to the highest audiophile standards but on the reissue I find the vocal and piano to have a fuller, more natural tone.

There really aren't a lot of tracks with any sort of heavy bass content on this album. Mostly the bass is just a nice low level sort of fill. If you play The Wild Frontier though there's a nice bass line to make comparisons on. I think the bass on the reissue again sounds more full and fleshed out but it doesn't really jump out any stronger. (Maybe stronger bass would require a Steven Wilson style remix as opposed to a remaster?)

Factor in a nice RTI pressing and quiet vinyl, at least in my case, and I agree that this reissue is worth while especially at $24. As popular as this album was when it was released, it seems a little neglected now days. I'm glad it was given a little well deserved love here and I think it works.

dobyblue likes this.
  23. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

Still own an original LP, though not played it for a few years. Late 80s, early 90s, played it a lot at the Hi-Fi shop I was working. Always thought, as did a number of customers, who chased down copies, that it sounded very good.

24. Classicrock

Just received the Exhibit USA pressing. Nice gatefold (Stoughton) but I'm replacing the RTI inner. KG mastering. Beware MOV have a version of this which will be from files. The US import is actually cheaper than the MOV on Amazon UK at present. Will play later and report.

25. Classicrock

I can confirm this is a substantial improvement over the UK pressing. Sounds more full and analogue if slightly rounded off high frequencies. Did need to clean this record with the RCM and place in an MFSL inner sleeve. I'm sure the clear plastic sleeves RTI are now using still leave some deposit on the surface plus they are too tight when removing/replacing the disc.

dobyblue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.