Listening to Ten Years After... and digging it

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dnuggett, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 905

905 Senior Member

I have the first six studio albums as of now.
    All I can say is wonderful music, with Cricklewood Green my favorite.

zelox and mooseman like this.
  2. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Great start but you need to add A Space In Time, Rock, Roll Music To The World and Recorded Live to your collection. You won't regret it.

mooseman and John Fell like this.
  3. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

First time I heard "A Space In Time" I was peaking on Acid, it just blew me away. I like all of Ten Years After but that one has stayed close to my heart....:)

mooseman, John Fell and zelox like this.
  4. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Memories, sweet memories... :cool:

Now I can get a buzz off it without adding any recreational filler. :laugh:

mooseman and Larry Mc like this.
  5. William K

William K Forum Resident

Alvin Lee and Company "Boogie On"
    Stonedhenge

Mainline461 likes this.
  6. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Dam, I bought this in 2008 so now I got to buy it again. That's not fair. :)

7. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I should add, it was 1972.

zelox likes this.
  8. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Someone may have already said this but that's George Harrison playing that mean slide guitar on "The Bluest Blues".

zelox likes this.
  9. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Every different live version of this song by TYA is always a winner. They do it better then anyone.:righton:

Scopitone and John Fell like this.
  10. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Saw Alvin Lee in Ten Years After a number of times and also as Alvin Lee & Company and I can say straight up that all of his live performances were killer. He never seemed to mail in a performance or go thru the motions. The Alvin Lee & Co tour back in 1975 was a retro gig and salute to the rock n roll and blues pioneers who preceded him in the '50's and early 60's. I was surprised at first - and a little disappointed to be honest - that he chose not to blend in some of his well known TYA material but halfway through the set, I was diggin' it all the same. Not as much guitar fireworks as one would expect from a full blown TYA performance, but those retro grooves he laid down just washed over and held you after a while. This of course came about not long after he disbanded Ten Years After.

Was lucky to also catch a rather unexpected performance of Ten Years Later with Mick Hawksworth and Tom Compton accompanying him as a power trio in 1979 (same year I saw Fleetwood Mac, Bob Welch and the Canadian balladeer Gordon Lightfoot in concert). Pure chance hookup as a friend of mine called me up at the last moment and told me they were performing within striking distance that night, so off we went in a mad dash. Damn the trick sounds Alvin could pull out of his axe, it was awesome (and up close, as it was in a smaller and more intimate venue so it came with a perceptible bit of sweat and spit). Can still recall his funky take on "Ride On Cowboy," just tailor made for him during that space in time. Made me wish all the more I had been able to catch Cream on stage during their heyday -- and of course Alvin's hookup with Mick Taylor in the early eighties.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    Dondy, rbp, Bolero and 2 others like this.
  11. texron

texron Rory On

Waking up this old thread, listening to the first LP tonight, damn. I forgot that these guys could cook. "Help Me Please" is mind blowing. These guys are deserving of an album by album thread.

mooseman and Urban Spaceman like this.
  12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Ten Years After is a band that sneaks up on and sneaks into your collection (Savoy Brown is another). You'll see one of their albums while at the record shop and think...hmmm, I don't think I have this one, take it home and out it on....great stuff!
    Before you know it you've got about 10 albums by Ten Years After in your collection, and they're all really good!

Does anyone know what the band's name is in reference to?

13. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

While watching the Woodstock video as a kid, my father told me that it had something to do with Elvis Presley. Ten Years After Elvis became succesful.. or something like that.

14. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Humm, IIRC, sometime in 1967, I think they read an article headlined "Ten Years After" which was about ten years having passed since the Suez Crisis.

15. jon9091

After looking around a bit, it seems the Elvis theory is the most widely used. Ten years after he first hit the charts....drummer Ric Lee was a huge fan. Pretty cool!

Who'sTommy likes this.
  16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

try to find all of their stuff on CD......just about impossible, unless you have a lot of money.

17. jon9091

18. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

During Joe Gooch's (quite underrated) stint with TYA, he refused to sing that line (and sang "I wanna love ya" instead). Not sure about the guy they have now, but he kinda sucks anyway.

20. Rob F

Rob F Forum Resident

Undead - recently released on double vinyl

21. Thomas Brophy

Thomas Brophy Forum Resident

Yes, with extra tracks but missing some of the before song chatter from the original single Deram album. There are three sides of music and a blank side. At over 70 minutes it could have been spread over four sides. I'd say they used the same source as used for the cd thus explaining paring away the chatter to fit it on to one cd. Still worth getting. Sounds brighter than the Deram but it is well pressed with a nice retro style gatefold sleeve. Wish they'd release the expanded Recorded Live cd on triple vinyl.

22. William K

William K Forum Resident

Alvin Lee & Company is one of my favorites. "Boogie On" alone is worth the price imo.

23. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Cricklewood Green turns up in used vinyl bins all the time, typically in beat up condition. Perhaps overplayed by young guitarists practicing the simple riff in "Love Like A Man"? I finally found a clean Bell Sound/Sam Felder original, just great.

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I can hear an Elvis influence in TYA, especially in "I'm Going Home" later section of the song.

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I could not get this to play. What song was it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.