R.I.P David Bowie: 8th January 1947 - 10th January 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sunspot42, Jan 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

Kooks is really good on the 2015 Hunky Dory CD IMO. The sound of the percussion really made me enjoy it more than I had for years, despite already having a decent-sounding (although not great) RCA WG CD and several vinyl copies for many years.

johnsiddique likes this.
  2. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

The Brits rerelease due to copyright issues at 50 years. The record companies love it.

Watching "The Spiders from Mars - extended interviews" (see youtube) The band said they didn't do many run throughs and rarely did 3-4 takes. David was methodical and wanted things sounding fresh even leaving a few subtle mistakes in. It would be quite easy if the tapes still exist in prime form to do a Dylan type The Cutting Edge. Perhaps as Visconti alluded to, this has already been arranged.

3. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Is it permanent?

4. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

He and his people were looking back quite a lot in the post-heart problem era 2004 - 2016, as well as forwards: the huge David Bowie Is archive exhibition and accompanying books and merchandise, the Lazarus show which is connected to the Man Who Fell to Earth, the Ziggy Stardust, Young Americans and Thin White Duke references in his The Next Day promotional films, major reissues of Station to Station and Young Americans, the blanked-out Heroes artwork on The Next Day sleeve, the harmonica line from Low's A New Career in a New Town which closes Blackstar 39 years on..

ledsox likes this.
  5. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

I sold five titles (all I had left) yesterday afternoon.

6. Beatlemania 22

Beatlemania 22 Forum Resident

My ten favourite Bowie songs (in no particular order)

1.Space Oddity
    2.Station To Station
    3.Ashes To Ashes
    4.Life On Mars
    5.Heroes
    6.Word On A Wing
    7.Scary Monsters (Super Creeps)
    8.Wild Is The Wind
    9.Where Are We Now ?
    10.Lazarus

TexasBuck likes this.
  7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Nobody that was friends with Bowie in the last 20 years is touching that tribute. Including other stars who are in attendance.

Leaked Documents confirm that David Bowie and Lady Gaga are collaborating »
    Gaga's people tried leaking this document in late 2010. I'm sure Bowie was furious.

8. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

In the aftermath following his passing, I caught a little bit of one of the many tributes MuchMusic aired to Mr. Bowie.
    I will paraphrase my favourite line from him:
    "Six months in, I realized I was going to have to kill off Ziggy. He was costing me a fortune in hair dye".
    This was followed a very sincere roar of laughter from Mr. Bowie.

alan967tiger likes this.
  9. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

It's mildly funny, then you think he he continue to dye his hair the same colour for the next 3 years. The clothes were a lot cheaper until the 80's tours.

10. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I listened to this interview last night, and it's very good. From London's Capital Radio in 1977 promoting "Heroes", he takes questions from fans on the telephone. The last call from Caroline is particularly amusing.

11. Criminy pete

Criminy pete Forum Resident

Hmm, the story I read was that it was written for both Zowie and Angela; hence kook(s)… the story goes on to say that David was in the middle of writing it and he called her in the room to listen.

12. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

Yes, both Angie and Zowie figure prominently in the tune (as does David, too), but your original post mentioned "Ziggy," not Zowie.

13. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

14. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

15. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Click top right-hand side icon, should open new window, and in new window it allows me to go full screen.

16. supersquonk

supersquonk Forum Resident

Worked. Thanks a bunch.

17. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I watched this a few weeks back on BBC iPlayer. It's a really top doc. I wish there was a Bowie 'anthology' that dedicated as much attention as this doc on his whole career. Definitely worth a watch or two.

Tyler Chastain, johnsiddique and TGW like this.
  18. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

This is what was on last Friday on PBS but it was an hour....they had shortened it? I'll have to watch this, thanks for the link!

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  19. not yonder

not yonder Forum Resident

Sacrilege to say it on here I know, but Bowie's Berlin tracks sound great on tinny MW radio.

Amazing to hear in the middle of that an advert for Sex Pistols single Holidays in the Sun, which is all about Berlin of course.

You were right about the amusing Caroline call. They were flirting in a most peculiar way.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    johnnyyen likes this.
  20. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident Thread Starter

It was totally inspired by the VU, yes. Bowie was actually probably the first person to cover a VU track in the UK - I think he'd heard a pre-release copy of of The Velvet Underground & Nico while visiting the US (or possibly via his manager), flipped over "I'm Waiting For The Man" and covered it in live performances shortly thereafter.

There's actually an unreleased studio version of "I'm Waiting For The Man" that Bowie cut in '67 as well.

The man had an incredibly keen ear, spotted heaps of trends right at the very start. As the Five Years documentary pointed out, he glommed onto the New Romantics before pretty much anybody outside of a couple of London clubs knew who they even were.

21. not yonder

not yonder Forum Resident

MHP likes this.
  22. Criminy pete

Aah, totally my mistake. Probably because I was listening to "The Rise and Fall....." when I posted. I'm rediscovering that Moonage Daydream is one of my favorite songs of all time!

23. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Yes, his then manager, Ken Pitt, went to New York to see about getting the VU over to the UK. He came back with a copy an acetate of the first VU album which is still in Bowie's archive today (it might even be in the touring "David Bowie Is" exhibition).

24. Criminy pete

WOW! That would be something to see. I was listening to VUs first release the other day. I have a special edition 2 CD set which has the mono version on one of the discs and the stereo version on the other. Man, what a brilliant piece of work (except I don't like Nico's voice).

25. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

This is a short documentary put together by Arcade Fire about the New Orleans celebration of David Bowie's life. Love this.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.