Post-Hermits Peter Noone Singles/Solo LPs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Captain Groovy, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member Thread Starter

Hey, hey Hermits fans:

Anyone have his post-Hermit solo '70s 45s?

I've never heard any of them and I've never seen a comp of them.

Also, has anyone heard his (supposedly excellent) '82 LP, "One of the Glory Boys"?

Apparntly it's hard to find on vinyl but man, I'd love to hear it.

And what were The Tremblers? Was it a live act? Or is that LP a studio album? That is available on CD apparantly through Peter's website.

Thanks!

Jeff

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

He's got a few nice singles after the Hermits but I've only hear a handful of them:

My favorite is "(I Think I'm Over) Getting Over You/All Sing Together." The B-side is amazingly catchy and the A-side is a wonderful of version of the Tony Hazzard song. TH wrote You Won't Be Leaving for the Hermits.

"Because You're There" was another B-side and was written with Graham Gouldman. It sounds a lot like something off of Blaze or a later HH album.

"Meet Me On the Corner Down at Joe's Cafe" is a sing along song ala his earlier stuff.

"We Don't Need The Money/Love Don't Change" are both catchy pop songs like the Hermits. Pretty sure they were written by one of the famous writting teams like Murray/Callendar.

I think the most famous of his singles is "Oh You Pretty Thing" which is not good IMO.

"Lady Barbara" gets included on many of the comps as a Hemits song.

Most of his singles are easy to get on GEMM or elsewhere too.

Never heard One of the Glory Boys but it's not hard to get:

http://www1.gemm.com/search/artist/PETER-NOONE/NOONE-c-PETER/ONE--OF--THE--GLORY--BOYS/LP/

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. heaudio

heaudio New Member

I have a Tremblers LP, Twice Nightly, from 1980 that I still think is awesome.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  4. bencasey

bencasey New Member

I like his solo sides for the most part and disagree with the above poster. I didn't like the Tremblers LP at all.

5. zipzorp

zipzorp Senior Member

Wow! I saw a Mint-y White Label Promo "One of The Glory Boys" LP today at Amoeba Sunset, in the 99 cent bin. Check tomorrow, it might still be sitting there. Good luck.

6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I have a PROMO CD single of "I'm Into Something Good", performed by Peter Noone solo, on Cypress Records, from 1989. It was featured in the first "The Naked Gun" movie and has a photo on the CD of Leslie Nielsen riding a bullet.
    I'm guessing that this CD single is fairly RARE, as it was never released commercially!

Chris C

7. kentb47

kentb47 Forum Resident

The Tremblers CD/album is the one to have. It's really great power pop, featuring musicians like most of the Heartbreakers and the Dwight Twilley Band's Phil Seymour and Bill Pitcock IV. Really a great little album.

8. dotheDVDeed

dotheDVDeed Forum Resident

And just wanted to add...

he toured behind that Tremblers album as well--I caught him then at Madame Wong West in West Los Angeles. It was a great show.

TIM

9. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

I agree, awesome! :righton:

Derek

10. popscene

popscene Senior Member

I have a white label promo of the Tremblers' album Twice Nightly, complete with Peter Noone's song-by-song notes in a letter addressed to guy named "Steve." I'm not sure if this was something that was in commercial copies as well or just in promos? Anyway, it's a better-than-average stab at new-wavey power pop, and definitely an attempt to shed his old Herman's Hermits persona. My favourite is "She Was Something Else," and there's a cover of Elvis Costello's "Green Shirt" to boot.

I have the cassette of One Of The Glory Boys, although it's been years since I've busted it out. I remember enjoying it enough, but I really only remember a few of the tracks (the title track, "You Got Me Anyway," and the cover of "Give Me Just A Little More Time"). I recall that it has considerably slicker production and 80's boom/sheen than The Tremblers' album, but the songs were pretty good.

Both were put out by Bruce Johnston's label.

11. Dr. Weber

Dr. Weber New Member

In scanning a stack of Creem magazines, I found an article titled "The Hermit Trembles: Peter Noone Looks Back" in the December 1980 issue. In it, Noone says that he "made another single with Bowie called 'Right On, Mother.'" This second single with Bowie was banned by the BBC. I have no idea about availability or quality.

Dr. Weber

12. Captain Groovy

CRAZY.

So I go to Amoeba tonight (I'm almost never in that area) and I've never looked at the $1.00 area.

No order whatsoever. Just rows and rows of LPs.

So I start flipping through and I'm like, "I will never find this thing."

So there's this guy on the other side of the aisle crouching - flipping through everthing.

I say, do me a favor, if you find this Peter Noone LP, will you tell me? He laughs and says, "Well, sure."

LITERALLY under a minute later as I'm walking away he yells to me that he found it.

So I bought it.

For a $1.

Wish someone here who also wanted to hear it knew how to do a world class needledrop.............

Ahem.

Jeff

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. alewis41

alewis41 New Member

Please can anyone who has access to the sleeve notes tell me the role that John Farrar played on The Tremblers Twice Nightly album? Thanks!

14. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I would love to see a post-HH Noone collection on CD.
    How much of his post-HH work is actually on CD.
    IIRC, there are a few tracks on the Mickey Most HH box.

Darryl

15. Captain Groovy

Hey Darryl... I started talking about this on the 50th Anniversary HH Stereo Remix Set...

Keep yelling for these to come out on disc or hi-rez/digital!

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-anthology-cd-set.412619/page-2#post-11834449

Jeff

16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I recently got the 50th Anniversary set & I've still need to go through that thread.
    Also there's a thread or 2 on the BSN board I need to read.
    I discovered this thread because it talks about Noone's post HH work (which I think should be seperate from HH.
    I would love to see a collection of his solo work done by 'Real Gone.

Darryl

Captain Groovy likes this.
  17. Captain Groovy

So would Peter himself - and has wanted one done for 10 years now at least by watch. So would Ron F. Why go through all the work only to be criticized for mastering or this little mix is wrong compared to... and why didn't you include "X"? Welcome to the new world. Passion projects really don't make the Producers money these days, and negative Nancies are loud while the fans sit quietly and enjoy.

Just saw people tearing apart the Wrecking Crew Doc. and Perks which has been a labor of love for the team for so long... only to see "fans" get angry that they can't get their perks through PledgeMusic or whatever I contributed to get the thing off the ground. People are just so rude to the PRODUCERS. They say, "NO TRACKLIST, NO SALE!" Insane. Like others OWE them something... that they never contributed to or purchased. And the tracklist, in this example, was for members only. Who else wants to buy Apple stock at $1? Yeah, me too, but I didn't invest in them BEFORE it came out. Older folks are angry, or just don't "get" crowd-funding, which is what I was thinking for licensing of these masters from Casablanca, etc.

But it would be a passion project for anyone.

You just get turned off by the whole thing - believe me. I've spoken to enough REALLY RESPECTED comp producers who just don't want to deal with the kinda-"fans"... hence they don't want to dedicate more years of their life to certain projects...

In short, that would be great, a ton of work to be done, and the end result, even if successful and sold the way their HH collection did, still would leave a bad taste in Compilation Producers' mouths. So much is a labor of love.

Similar to why so many industry professionals have left the the SH Forums... often just bitter arm chair critics who know nothing of what actually exists or what happens to make these projects happen. So the real guys go elsewhere...

Jeff

Hep Alien and greelywinger like this.
  18. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Saw the Tremblers live in a club when the LP came out, was a good show.

Captain Groovy likes this.
  19. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Reminds me of a line from 'Almost Famous'
    "Does Anybody Remember Laughter"
    These projects are mostly a labor of love.
    To be enjoyed not picked apart.
    If I like something, Ill buy it, if not I won't.
    You can get enough info online to let you know if you will enjoy a release before you buy it.
    It's one thing to talk about mastering things like levels & drop-outs (constructive criticism)'
    it's another to openly attack or criticize the people for their hard work.

Darryl

20. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Bite It Deep: Peter Noone (1971-1976) »

Bite It Deep : Forgotten Pop Gems From The 60s & 70s

Peter Noone (1971-1976)

If anyone ever deserved to record a solo album in the nineteen seventies then it has to bePeter Noone. One consolation though is that he recorded a string of fab pop singles between 1971 to 1976 and if you're a pop geek like me, you've probably already made your own DIY Peter Noone solo album out of the best of those songs.

[​IMG]Peter Blair Denis Bernard Noone (I bet he loves being called that!) split from Herman's Hermits around the end of 1970shortly after being signed to RAK Records and releasing the "Lady Barbara" b/w "Don't Just Stand There" single as Peter Noone & Herman's Hermits. April 1971 saw the release of the first Noone solo single, "Oh You Pretty Things" penned byDavid Bowie who also plays piano on the song. The single made it to number 12 in the UK charts despite being unfairly criticized by the NME who stated it to be "one of rock & roll's most outstanding example of a singer failing to achieve any degree of empathy whatsoever with the mood and content of a lyric", they may have a point but it's a decent enough version, a little funkier and Beatlesy than the version that would appear on Bowie's Hunky Dory LP later that year. The b-side, "Together Forever" is pure pop, let down slightly by a Eurovsion Song Contest Style brass arrangement. It's got a sort of late sixties Donovan vibe to it and some ace Giorgio Moroder-esque Moog work too which makes this single a cool double sider and still cheap and easy to get hold of thanks to it's chart success.

Next single "Walnut Whirl" was written by Herbie Flowers and Sandie Tatham Banks (akaSandie Shaw) and is popsike perfection. They don't come much better than this. The song is about an overweight girl (Noone's favourite type apparently!) who after a hard day of munching sweets goes to bed and makes love to a Walnut Whirl. They don't write them like this anymore! Check out the lyrics...

Peter Noone - Walnut Whirl (Lyrics)
    (Flowers, Tatham-Banks)

She took the cream coated coconut candy coloured chocolate nut whirl
    Honey pot and sugar snacks, she was just a very fat girl
    But nice and warm and round
    Jelly roll and toffee ice, coffee cup and fluffy ice flops
    Marshmallow marmalade, Lime and barley lemonade drops
    Work off another pound
    Newspapers, magazines say that her chances seem slim
    Keep a count of calories if you still want to be trim.
    Take off another stone
    Cause nothing quite seems to fit, lets out her skirt a bit more
    Vows she'll never eat again then hears her hungry tum roar
    Can't live on bread alone
    Cause all she wants is one, someone to love and hold her tight
    but no one seems to care for a big girl
    Takes her box of dairy chocs back to her bed
    And sadly makes love to a Walnut Whirl
    Disregard the slimming books cause I think cuddly women are fine
    Stay as a welterweight, you will have a double great time
    Get some outsize fun
    I like my girls on the bigger side, if only all the other guys knew
    Skinny girls are never fun, like their meat overdone too
    You're twice as good as one

All she wanted was someone to love and hold her tight
    And now she knows I care for a big girl
    Fill my box with dairy chocs and eat me up
    I'll gladly try to be your Walnut Whirl

David Bowie lends a helping hand again, this time for the b-side "Right On Mother" which is very similar to "Oh You Pretty Things" with it's Martha My Dear piano and hand claps, a style that suits Noone down to the ground. An album full of songs of this standard would have been killer but never happened. The single failed to chart, the public failed to hear the masterpiece once again!

For Noone's next release, songwriters Mike Chapman and Nicky Chinn provided another non-hit with "Shoo Be Doo Ah". Not the glam rock stomper you'd expect from Chinnichapbut instead a softly sang ballad. Noone tries his best on what is basically a weak tune from such great songwriters who barely put a foot wrong in the seventies. The single flip "Because You're There" is much better, composed by Noone with help from Graham Gouldman. Another acoustic ballad with some electric piano, reminiscent of his work with Herman's Hermits.

July 1972 saw the release of the fourth Peter Noone single and the last to be release on RAK. "Should I?" a nice acoustic guitar based tune, again sounding quite like Donovan's "There Is A Mountain" which may be down the Mickie Most production. B-side "Each & Every Minute" is reminiscent of Demis Roussos, bordering on sentimental slush, saved only by Noone's ace pop vocals. Another non-charter. Where's Bowie when you need him?

[​IMG]
    Peter Blair Denis Bernard Noone
    There was an unissued single from RAK in 1973. "Green Green Rocky Road" an uptempo brassed up rocker b/w "I Do Believe (In Music)" a light orchestrated song with some cool double bass. This was the last time Mickey Most would produce for Noone and I can't imagine it being a hit had it been released.

Noone moved to Philips records for one single, released inNovember 1973. "(I Think I'm Over) Getting Over You" was a return to form. Written by Tony Hazzard, who amongst others, provided Herman's Hermits with their 1966 hit record "You Won't Be Leaving" and produced byTony Atkins (mentioned in the Gerry Morris post last year), this Bee Gees style, orchestrated epic had hit record written all over it, Kenny Everett was a fan and plugged it on his breakfast show but again, no one cared. "All Sing Together", the flip, is another pop winner and has that distinctive Gerry Morris songwriting vibe to it. It would fit nicely on side two of Moriss's own LP, "Only The Beginning" in fact. The composers credit is to G. Morris and M. Starr. Anyone know who M. Starr is? Google is giving me nothing again.

Next single "Meet Me On The Corner Down At Joe's Cafe" b/w "Blame It On The Pony Express" another one-off released by Casablanca records in November 1974 provided Noone with his first minor hit in the US since his time with Herman's Hermits. Not surprisingly the a-side has a Hermits flavour to it. Imagine "Mrs Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter" a decade on with over the top production and big band. Doesn't sound too great does it? It's not. "Pony Express" is better though. Written by Tony Macaulay and Roger Greenaway it had been a hit for Johnny Johnson and the Bandwagon four year previous in 1970.

The last single I'll mention is Noone's first of three for the Bus Stop record label. "We Don't Need The Money" b/w "Love Don't Change" both written and produced Mitch Murray andPete Callendar who had scored hits for the Tremeloes, Vanity Fare and Cliff Richard to name a few. The a-side is okay enough, maybe owing a debt to Paper Lace, but the b-side is the superior track on this release. If seventies bubblegum, pop, soul is your bag then you'd better track down this little known obscurity.

Two more singles for Bus Stop records followed before Noone formed the New Wave actThe Tremblers, whose sole album "Twice Nightly" sounds like a cross between Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and Cheap Trick but nowhere near as good of course. A solo album eventually appeared in 1983 entitled "One Of The Glory Boys" which I've not heard but I've read contains some slick West Coast AOR with Noone on the album cover looking like he's just walked off the set of Miami Vice. He then went on to host a show on VH1 and DJing on a radio station in the US. Most recently he has been touring with Herman's Hermits and mentoring singers on American Idol.

But back to the good stuff. Here's Peter Blair Denis Bernard Noone with the pure killer "Walnut Whirl". Diggg!!!

21. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Now Sounds CD please:cheers:

22. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I'd rather have 'Peter Noone : The Complete 70s Solo Singles As & Bs' from Real Gone.

Darryl

Hep Alien and melstapler like this.
  23. Captain Groovy

You may already be onto something with that guess... :)

Jeff

Hep Alien and melstapler like this.
  24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

His version of "Green Shirt" sounds remarkably like Sparks.

melstapler likes this.
  25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

An 18 track CD called...
    'Peter Noone : The Complete 70s & 80s Solo Singles As & Bs' from Real Gone.

Oh You Pretty Thing
    Together Forever
    Walnut Whirl
    Right On Mother
    Should I
    Each And Every Minute
    Shoo Be Doo Ah
    Because You´re There
    Meet Me On The Corner Down At Joe's Cafe
    (Blame It) On The Pony Express
    Something Old, Something New
    We Don't Need The Money
    Love Don't Change
    It's Good When I Get There
    Treat You Like A Lady
    Goodbye Sam, Hello Samantha
    Can I Put My Song In Your Heart
    (I Don't Wanna Love You But) You Got Me Anyway

I left out remakes and songs from soundtracks.

I like this picture or the cover, minus the words.

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.