Help Save The Beatles Catalogue?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

They didn't know what they were doing, simple as that.

Some I can tolerate but after getting the mono CDs and then the vinyl I find most of them hard to listen to now as they sound so weird.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

I really enjoyed LOVE mash up gives you some idea how Abbey Road should sound. Sacrilege it's not out in 5.1 yet.

ted321 likes this.
  3. Do all the original multi-track tapes for all the songs and albums by The Beatles that are already in stereo still exist?

4. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

No, it's not as simple as that. Do yourself a favor and search this board. The information about how and why these recordings were produced the way they were is voluminous and, depending on the source (our host), authoritative.

5. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

What's the meaning of the thread title? Save The Beatles catalogue? Why does it need saving? And from what?

:shrug:

Tommyboy likes this.
  6. SixtiesGuy

With the exception of the very early recordings, yes they do. Digital copies of them were used most recently in producing the remixes for the new 1 package.

7. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Count me as another happy Beatle fan with the 2009 re-issues. No complaints at all for what we got.
    Of course there's also the stuff we didn't get (the Anthologies remastered)... and there, I might venture some complaint!
    My own sense of the BBC issue/re-issue was that they were generally very successful, but that there were a few tracks they might have done better with.
    Cheers, RH

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The Anthologies were remastered by the 2009 team, but only available on iTunes. Same for Let It Be... Naked.
    Of course they are the same "flawed" mixes.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  9. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I agree. It is a much overused word these days.
    Save this, save that. To quote Howard Cosell: "A hackneyed phrase. Be more specific!"

crispi likes this.
  10. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Nothing needs saving. I'm perfectly content with the 2009 remasters, particularly the mono set, so I'm not desperate for any additional versions at this point. I might be interested in a deluxe high res 5.1 treatment of certain albums, but not if Giles Martin is calling the shots. I'm not impressed with his remix work, particularly in surround.

crispi, signothetimes53 and dewey02 like this.
  11. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

The CDs are fantastic :cheers:

905 and KinkySmallFace1991 like this.
  12. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Nyet

13. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Well, I prefer the fake stereo Capitol mixes from the material on Meet the Beatles over the same tracks on the stereo With the Beatles for this very reason.

14. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

No. Thats a ridiculous statement.

Tommyboy likes this.
  15. stereoguy

Well, those sold millions of copies as released so a lot more than this "one person on the planet " liked them.

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  16. stereoguy

That's really a shame.

17. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I think the different versions serve different moods. Sometimes blasting a reverb-laden duophonic is fun. It's almost like a stadium-sound effect.

Shak Cohen, 905 and Keith V like this.
  18. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

The committee formed in 2003, back when the catalog needed saving. Some background here:

Yahoo! Groups ยป

alexpop likes this.
  19. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

There aren't any.

Keith V likes this.
  20. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

I do not think that is entirely true. Some of the early Roy Orbison LP's for example sound very good in stereo, not hard left and right. Same can be said for the Living Presence and Living Stero shows that engineers at the time knew how to mix good stereo. One has to remember that in 1963 most kids who bought pop music did not have a stereo, but a simple box that had a turntable amp and speaker built in. The stereo mixes were more of an added marketing tool as stereo was just emerging. Radio was mono also. Usually a mono record at the time cost less than a stereo version. Not until Fisher and Sherwood released relatively inexpensive stereo' , usually a whopping 15-18 watts per Chanel did the younger generation get stereo equipment. Not many kids had McIntish or Marantz stereo equipment. Plus you needed space to get good stereo sound, something most teenage bedrooms did not have an abundance of. Most people under collage age did not get stereos until inexpensive solid state versions came about in the latter sixties. If you were like my family back in 1964, you had a TV console with a turntable in it. Nobody listened to music while others as anted to watch TV.

Jim B. likes this.
  21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Your opinion might mean something if there were any fake stereo versions of songs from With The Beatles on Meet The Beatles. There are none.

Keith V likes this.
  22. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

This thread is disintegrating quickly

23. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

What's the point of this thread again?

Tommyboy likes this.
  24. SixtiesGuy

Based on some of the posts here it appears that it needs to be saved from us...

25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Dunno

Nightswimmer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.