Audio Fidelity Reissuing "Blade Runner" Sndtrk On Vinyl LP and SACD*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by christopher, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

What turntable and cartridge are you using?

2. tony knezovic

tony knezovic New Member

I am using Technics sp10mk2 with audio technica 1503 tonearm and at120 cartridge and also stanton turntable t120c with a shure m44g.I have tested it on both turntables and same problem occurred and i must say that my system is really well set up.Maybe i just have a bad luck and received a bad pressed piece.

Attached Files:

3. goldenbreast

goldenbreast Forum Resident

I haven't listened to mine yet, I'll give it a whirl to see if I notice the same.

4. bcbassboy

bcbassboy Forum Resident

5. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

My prefer way of converting DSD (if it comses on an SACD ISO) is using Foobar200, set Sampling Frequency to 176.4 Khz and quantization at 32 bit floating point, then I convert those files at 176.4 Khz/32 bit floating point to 176.4 Khz/24 bit with Weiss Saracon adding PoWR3 dither which is propietary to Saracon. You wouldn't believe the sound, very analog-like, converted directly to 176.4 Khz/24 bit with Foobar2000 doesn't sound the same, it sounds digital despite the high sampling rate and being quantisized to 24 bit. It seems like extracting the most of DSD by converting to 32 bit floating point and then downconverting to 24 bit with the custom Powr3 from Saracon seems to make a difference.

6. bcbassboy

bcbassboy Forum Resident

7. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I received the SACD yesterday and have been listening to the CD layer. Compared 3 tracks to versions I have on a good sounding Vangelis compilation and the this CD layer sounds better. The other mastering is good too, but the AF version is, as described earlier in this thread, wider and smoother sounding. It's EQ is a bit different in the mid frequencies and there is a tad more bass without sounding bloated.

An impressive sounding disc, even as a CD layer listen. I was completely immersed in the sound.

coffeetime likes this.
  8. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Just a quick note to say that the vinyl is currently available from ImportCDs for the bargain price of $17.55. Couldn't resist at that price. I'm astonished that it sounds so good considering the side length.

scobb likes this.
  9. goldenbreast

goldenbreast Forum Resident

how much with UK delivery? I might go for it if it comes in under the £15 limit

10. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Postage is not included in the £15 limit so no worries for customs :righton: Cost me about £16 all in.

11. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Did you check this recently on the Customs site? For The Netherlands the import limit ruling was suddenly changed to include shipping. They don't seem to enforce it very strictly (or I was just lucky), but the text on the Dutch Customs site is changed.

12. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I'm another happy owner of the Audio Fidelity vinyl release, I found it a revelation to my ears the first time I played it.

If this has been covered earlier in the thread apologies, but for those of you wanting the most complete version of the the soundtrack I highly recommend last year's BSX (Buysoundtrax.com) release Blade Runner: A 30th ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION - Music from the Motion Picture by Vangelis, produced and performed by Edgar Rothermich. This is a thorough recreation of all the film's music from the very first company credit, and is virtually indistinguishable from the Vangelis original, the CD clocks in at 72:31, 20 minutes longer than the official 1994 release. It was a limited edition of 2000 copies.

From the BSX Release notes:
    "BUYSOUNDTRAX Records is proud to present the release of BLADE RUNNER: MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE 'A 30TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION, available for pre-order at www.buysoundtrax.com and digitally and via other soundtrack boutique retailers beginning September 19th, 2012. BLADE RUNNER: MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE 'A 30TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION is a new recording of the classic score composed by Vangelis (CHARIOTS OF FIRE, THE BOUNTY, 1492, ALEXANDER), produced and performed by composer Edgar Rothermich. Over the years, multiple edits of the film have been created for the home video, DVD and Blu-Ray markets. Similarly Vangelis' score has been released in several different incarnations, but none of them are accurate representations of what was heard in the original 1982 film. 'Largely because of a dispute between Vangelis and Scott over the director's use of his music in the film, a proper soundtrack of the music as it is heard in the film has never been commercially issued (despite the promise of a soundtrack album from Polydor Records given in the film's end titles), described Randall D. Larson in the liner notes of the new BUYSOUNDTRAX recording. BUYSOUNDTRAX Records seeks to correct this oversight, with a new recording faithfully recreating the original music from the film, which proved to be a difficult task. Vangelis' score was composed entirely by performing on keyboards and recording it directly, so no written transcriptions exist. Composer Edgar Rothermich was charged with reverse engineering the score 'listening to the original music and a 1982 album mock-up and transcribing it by ear. He also had to recreate the sound of 1982 synthesizers and decipher if noise heard was due to recording on tape or stylistic choices by the composer."

While certainly not a replacement for the actual Vangelis score, this is a fine compliment IMO, and I've no doubt fans of this score would enjoy it immensely. The sound quality is excellent and compares well to the official releases. Rothermich also recreated the complete Vangellis score from The Bounty which has never been released in it's entirety; I have it and enjoy it very much.

There is no longer a listing for the Blade Runner CD at the Buysoundtrax site so I guess it's gone out of print, but here's a link for a couple of copies up for sale on Amazon, FYI, the original release price from BSX was $15.95:
    http://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-ANNIVERSARY-CELEBRATION-Vangelis/dp/B009GEOR9G

...and on Ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=Blade...n Picture by Vangelis&clk_rvr_id=635509553844

coffeetime likes this.
  13. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Just picked this up brand new. Was $39 w/tax here in Vancouver. Very flat 180g disc, very dead-quiet pressing (after running through Okki Nokki twice - always do).
    Fantastic dynamics, detail, air around instruments, incredible bass punch... the whole LP just oozes heft and weight. Another fantastic remastering by Kevin Gray at Cohearant. I highly recommend this pressing.

14. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Bought this in Tower Records , O'Connell Street, Dublin today (says Limited Edition, but not numbered), as has been said by most here, gorgeous sounding and dead quiet vinyl, lovely dynamics my first Audio Fidelity recording, I can see all the fuss about them now. As Batty himself might have said: "I've heard things you non vinyl listeners wouldn't believe......"

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
    coffeetime, hi_watt and SergioRZ like this.
  15. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

I have to completely disagree, this sounds like a very weak copy, the synths sounds on this are nothing like as rich as Vangelis' and are just really poor, it reminds me of karaoke versions of real songs, ugh!

16. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

17. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Second vinyl from Audio Fidelity for me. Never again.

Both have serious playing issues. This one stops playing at transition between track 1 & 2.

Kate Bush has a constant crackle on side 2.

All of my other vinyl (old and new, warped and flat) plays flawlessly.

18. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

What does that mean? Your stylus gets stuck there?

19. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Is worth getting over the 1994 CD? A favorite of mine, but having a tough time justifying the $30...

20. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

Absolutely, the Audio Fidelity LP is much superior to any other release of this amazing soundtrack... if it's a favorite don't miss it! ;) This is actually one of the best sounding LP's I own... the bass and ambiance on this thing is just breathtaking :)

Spirit Crusher and AaronW like this.
  21. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

What are y'all's opinions on the 3-CD 25th anniversary soundtrack?

22. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

CD 1 is the same as the 1994 CD. CD 2 has very similar sound quality and is well worth your time if you enjoyed the 1994 CD, but it's still far from comprehensive in terms of representing the music heard in the film. CD 3 is a waste of everyone's time and effort and has no real reason to exist. Buy for CD 2 if you already have and enjoy the 1994 album or the 2013 Audio Fidelity SACD/vinyl release.

Lyle_JP and Spirit Crusher like this.
  23. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Just to say the "1994" Vangelis version was reissued on Rhino/Warner's vinyl last year in case anyone is looking for a new, cheaper alternative to the AF (roughly half the price over here).

24. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

So, I am confused -- is this AF SACD the Vangelis synth score, or the quasi-orchestral one?

25. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

AF SACD = Vangelis' synth score, as per the 1994 album. Definitely not the New American Orchestra soundtrack album.

bhazen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.