Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. django68

django68 Forum Resident

Never heard the whole album, but I did like "The Burning Sun" which was also on CSA Collection Vol.1

2. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Ok, sorry if I was a little harsh. I was a little edgy yesterday, there was an extraordinary amout of cr*p wrtten on the forums yesterday, which had me in a bit of an agitated state... I love all the stuff you mention too (but I can also enjoy "Help Me Make It Through The Night", maybe becasue I listened to the Kris Kristofferson original as a kid). I haven't gotten around to the VP box set yet (but I will), is it mostly Bunny Lee?

Cool, will be looking forward to that. Is the 40th Anniverary this year then? And of course it's great that you're keeping up the good work with new stuff, will try to check some of it out.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  3. Oh that one??? I have faint memories of Just the two of us and rather pleasant ones at that, but I dont remember anything else

It's not that I didnt like the RR, I have hundreds of albums featuring them and even produced a of couple albums with them. I did seriously dislike Style Scott as a person.

Having said that, I think the RR were good but way overrated. They did dominate the scene in 82 or 83, but I never found them innovative. They were heavy, that I'll concede, but very limited musically speaking, even though Dwight Pickney is a great guitar player. To me they dumbed down Reggae, but that's nothing compared to the nightmare that came afterwards when Steelie & Clevie took over.

4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

To a certain extent I'm in agreement with you regarding the Roots Radics, but I don't think it was their fault that they became repetetive, I think that was down to the producers who just wanted them to churn out by the numbers rhythms, there is actually innovation and variety in their catalogue it just got buried.

5. I see your point, and in a way, theyir approach was an innovation inasmuch as nobody had done it before. Yet, why would the Aggrovators, Revolutionaries, Supersonics sound so much richer while being pressured the same way by producers to churn out x amount of tracks?
    I guess I'm in some sort of a love hate relationship with the Radics

6. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I picked-up a very nice copy of the 1979 Trojan pressing of Errol Dunkley's "Darling Ooh!" LP. Does anybody know how this pressing compares to the 1972 Attack pressing?

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I only have the Attack first press and reissue, I believe the Trojan issue is missing "Hi Lite" parts 1 and 2, no idea why, but it might mean the Trojan is a heavier cut, one of the few Trojans I don't have so not that common and also a great album. Incidentally does it have the original "girl" cover or the later yellow and blue face cover?

8. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I just recently got hold of this on CD, the Attack 1991 version (it was re-issued on both CD and LP at that time), a sealed copy, I thought it was a nice score, I haven't even had time to open it yet, let alone listen.

My CD has those tracks and the "yellow and blue face cover". The girl cover on the Trojan is not the original, the GayFeet/HighNote is different:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I have the CD as well, open it up and enjoy, the middle one is the original UK Attack issue, I was wondering if the Trojan has that sleeve for sure because both Discogs and Roots Archives have the first sleeve as the original Attack sleeve and it isn't, as for the Jamaican cover, Jamaican LPs often came out after the UK release, not saying that's the case here, but it might well be.

10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Oh, yes I will, it's in my "to do" pile, I got it in the mail not long ago. Ok, I stand corrected, I though the Jamaican release was to be considered the "original". But I also thought it didn't seem right that the "yellow and blue" sleeve would have been on the first Attack release, it doesn't look very 1972, and that entry on Discogs only has a stock photo, one should only trust entries that have actual scans where you can see front, back and labels (and even those can be wrong of course, but in those cases it is easier to tell if it seems reasonable). The Trojan entry has scans (including back with Trojan logo, and blue labels), so I guess that is correct.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  11. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Thanks for your response.

Yeah, my Trojan LP has the 'girl' cover.
    I have the Attack CD issue (which I think is a needle-drop, but sounds great), which, of course has the 'yellow and blue face' cover.
    I was under the impression that the original 1972 Attack LP issue also had the 'yellow and blue face cover', does it not?

Ah, I hadn't noticed that the Trojan LP didn't contain the two "Hi Lite" interludes. I'm not at home to check my record to confirm that at the moment, but I don't doubt that you're correct. Incidentally, those two parts of the album always sort've stick-out as not really belonging within the flow and vibe of the album, but I've gotten used to them over the years.

12. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

If you consider the photo used, that is not really how anyone looked in the early 70s (thinking mostly of the hair), that's more of an 80's style. Looking around, it is a cropped version of a photo also used on the 1982 Special Request (a.k.a. Nostalgia) album, which seems like a more accurate time frame for when it would have been taken.

13. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

That makes good sense.
    I think Dubmart mentioned that he had the Attack first press. Maybe he can confirm which cover art was used for that issue.

14. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

He said the middle one of the three pictures I posted (which is from the Discogs entry for the Trojan) was used on the original UK Attack issue.

15. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

This thread blew my mind and has opened a whole world of incredible roots music. I had only scratched the surface of Reggae. Thank you so much for all the recommendations. A few of the records I've discovered in this thread that opened my mind and ears are:

Yabby You - Jesus Dread
    Heart of the Congos

And a whole heaping helping of anything produced by Scratch.

16. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Sorry for not responding sooner, I've been out listening to Folk music, which wasn't actually what I was expecting to do today, anyway, you all got me doubting my memory so I went and pulled the first Attack issue, 1003, and it does use the girl cover the middle of the three, when you see it in the flesh it actually fits in perfectly with similar Trojan sleeves from the period such as the Tighten Ups. So we have original Attack with girl, Trojan with girl, but minus two tracks and Attack reissue with face sleeve and the two tracks reinstated.

17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Indeed it does, and even though those covers didn't have much to do with the music inside or illustrate it very well, I am kind of partial to them... :love:
    Now you have me wanting to find an original of the Errol Dunkley, but meanwhile I'll be firing up my CD. :cheers:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  18. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Considering what a great album it is the Dunkley is pretty scarce, it took me years to find my near mint copy and I have a feeling I paid pretty big money for it, sometimes you just have to, and I have not seen one in the flesh since so I'm glad I got it. Good luck in the quest.:righton:

19. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I would settle for the Trojan version too, just to have a vintage vinyl pressing and the original cover. Playing it now and it is indeed great!

The CD inlay mentions the dropping of the two tracks on the 1979 Trojan reissue and the reinstatement of them on this reissue, and it says the tracks are by the Gaytones, so would seem an unreleated addon. It also says "You're Gonna Need Me" is an "updated version...done in a much heavier style". So are the versions of this song different on the Attack reissue compared to the original and/or the Trojan (or am I misunderstanding)?

20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'd need to play them to be sure, but I think all three have the same cut of "You're Gonna Need Me" and the writer is distinguishing it from the Rocksteady cut Errol recorded for Joe Gibbs when he was about 14, if I get the chance I will check, incidentally the Rocksteady cut along with "Please Stop Your Lying" is great.

21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yes, that's probably what is meant, I am misunderstanding (and the version fits right in with the sound of the other tracks), and I realize now that "in a much heavier style" refers to it being in the style of the rest of the album . I'll have to check out that earlier cut!

Edit: I actually have the earlier version (and "Please Stop Your Lying") on the Joe Gibbs Scorchers From The Early Years (VP), it is also on the Trojan Rocksteady Box Set and Get On Up! - Joe Gibbs Rocksteady 1967-1968 (Trojan).

22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It's written in a way that is easy to misunderstand, I'm not 100% sure what he actually meant.

23. Poison_Flour

Poison_Flour Forum Resident

Yabby You - Jesus Dread been playing this one a lot since I got a copy of the recent vinyl reissue

24. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Huh? :confused:

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Yeah, I wondered if VP had been at it again, but I'm guessing Poison Flour might be talking about the "Jesus Dread" single rather than the box set, I'm sure he'll let us know.