RIP Paul Kantner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeYoung, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Paperback Writer likes this.
  2. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

Friday night Jefferson Starship performed in his honor. This is the first footage I have seen of Rachel Rose who is the new singer Paul hired in November. Also It appears Cathy is playing Paul's Rickenbacker.

3. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Paul Kantner's light shines through these dark nights on the Airplane.

[​IMG]

RevUp64 likes this.
  4. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

5. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

RIP ..two gone by Signe A.as well

6. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Signe Anderson is gone now too :shake:

7. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:thumbsup: Yes, well put. There was a post on this thread (which I cannot locate) that alluded to JA's music as being "the sound of the New Left", or something like that. Not too far off the mark, imho. The group emerged from the urban folk scene, plugged in, dropped acid, and, like many of their generation's cohorts, got politicized. We've seen that film footage by French director Jean-Luc Godard of the band performing on top of a Manhattan office building in late-1968.....that was for a movie project on the American "New Left" movement, which was planned to feature the likes of the SDS, Tom Hayden, the Black Panthers, etc. Heady times, and Paul Kantner, rest in peace, and the Jefferson Airplane, bless 'em, provided the tunes.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  8. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz

I was shocked when the Department of Defense gave PK an award for his service to Veterans last December. Well earned but surprised they would acknowledge it.

Fullbug, jamesmaya and CCrider92 like this.
  9. From the book Rock Dreams, there is Paul with Bobby, Jerry, Country Joe and Grace, -On the Bus.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  10. Can't get the illustration to show here - but you who have it - know what I mean. If you can get it to post here - please do so! It's fabulous.

11. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

Unless I missed it in either location, I'm surprised I don't see any mention of this here or in the thread regarding Signe Anderson's passing [http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ginal-jefferson-airplane-lead-singer.496486/] but the NY Times obit on Kantner included what is now a very sad and ironic note: "Mr. Kantner died just weeks after it was announced that Jefferson Airplane would receive a Lifetime Achievement Grammy Award next month," [note: Monday Feb. 15th]. I wonder which surviving members will show up to accept this honor. At least Paul and Signe died with the knowledge they were receiving it.

Given the recent losses from Lemmy to Scott Weiland and Natalie Cole at the end of 2015 and now the January 2016 passings of Bowie, Frey, Buffin, Jimmy Bain and both Kantner and Anderson — same day and both 74, by the way — it promises to be an emotional affair. They should just quickly announce the awards in the first half-hour and devote the rest of the show to the In Memoriam section.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  12. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

RIP, Paul. Thank you for the music and thank you for always being yourself. You'll be very sadly missed.

13. Jack

Jack Senior Member

On your inadvertent advice, I went out and got Baron and you are so right! A wonderful album. I've been playing it constantly.

rstamberg likes this.
  14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

That's cool, Jack, thanks.
    It's even better that you like it. I love parts of that record as much as I love the best Jefferson Airplane songs. Yes, it's that strong, musically speaking. That cover image!

15. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

16. Jack

Jack Senior Member

If I like Baron, will I like Sunfighter? The only other JA I own is Bark; some will think it's nuts but I never got into them until Bark. I have Thirty Seconds Over Winterland on order from ebay.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  17. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Yes, you will love "Sunfighter" ! A great, fascinating album . Slightly more dramatic production values, especially on the title cut.

rstamberg, Jack, Taxman and 1 other person like this.
  18. Get Blessed it's Pointed Little Head. A much better live album than Winterland. Better songs and recording. One of the best live albums of the period . Period. Before Sunfighter us get Blows Against the Empire.

19. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I'll second Bill Cormier on Sunfighter, I always saw that and Blows... as companion pieces.
    If you want live, get The Woodstock Experience cd. They come charging out of the gate with "The Other Side Of This Life" and don't let up for ninety minutes. Not as molten as Bless... but a truly relentless full set.

skybluestoday, Grootna, Jack and 2 others like this.
  20. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Yep. What Bill and Ralph said.....

21. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

The 60's were a long time ago.

22. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Winterland has better energy (imo). Both great albums.

rstamberg and Mazzy like this.
  23. I was at one of those Winterland shows and saw the original lineup too which i prefer. I miss Marty and Spencer and can do without papa john .

A different preference

24. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

[​IMG]

sandmountainslim1 and jamesmaya like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.