DTS 96/24 in 5.1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by PBo, Feb 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PBo

PBo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm spinning the DVD-V side of the Pet Sounds DVD-A and noticed that when I select the DTS 5.1 mix that it's supposed to be in 24/96. I'm playing it from my Sony Blu-ray player through HDMI into my Onkyo receiver.

I'm a little confused about the audio output. According t0 the display window on my Sony Blu-ray player the DTS 5.1 mix is playing at 96 khz at a 1.5 mbps audio stream (which seems to be the same bit rate as some of my other regular DTS mixes which are not 96/24), but confusingly my Onkyo receiver is showing a red DTS 96/24 symbol when I access that mix on the disc. Does this mean that regardless of what the Blu-ray player is displaying as the output that I'm actually getting the full 96/24 signal since it's showing that on the receiver or am I just misunderstanding what DTS 96/24 is?

2. Robert van Diggele

Robert van Diggele Forum Resident

3. PBo

Ok, I think that seems to make sense. Does that mean that if my receiver is showing it's receiving a 96/24 signal, then I can disregard whatever my blu-ray player is displaying as the output stream?

PhilBiker likes this.
  4. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi,

1.5 mbps is simply full bit rate DTS (1536 kbps)

Most DTS DVD's had/have a bitrate of 768 kbps.

96/24 is simply the sampling frequency and bit count..........a separate issue from bit rate.

Any reason you are not spinning the superior DVD/A side?............

Edit...........Scratch that....... just saw that your source doesn't do DVD/A.

PhilBiker likes this.
  5. PBo

Yep, my player only does SACD and Blu-Ray, but no DVD-A. I've debated just buying a separate used DVD player that can handle DVD-A since I have a few DVD-A discs.

6. Robert van Diggele

Or rip the audio from the dvd a discs as flac files and go with them. Works fine.

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

And play back as 5.1...how?

8. Robert van Diggele

Put the files on a Nas and access them. But that depends on other hardware in the chain.

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

That's a lot of assumptions to make. If the OP doesn't have a NAS or the other necessary eqpt - and his profile suggests he doesn't - wouldn't be easier and cheaper for him to just buy a DVD-A capable player as he stated?

10. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

DTS 96/24 is a little bit different than regular DTS which is normally 48/16, though DTS 96/24 is lossy. DTS 96/24 started showing up on certain DVD discs around 2003.

11. Robert van Diggele

it is and I did not look into his profile.

12. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

PBo,

Maybe worth expanding on your idea and getting something like a used OPPO 95 or CA 751

If you have a larger budget then maybe a CA752 or OPPO 105...........why?...........

Well........ apart from offering the DVD/A capability you were after..........they also give you the opportunity to experiment with higher quality RBCD playback due to their improved DAC's and analog output stages............plus offering USB inputs (including asynchronous for a PC) which accept most of the latest file formats.

I would also expect their SACD playback to be just as good as your Sony's at the very least.

The newer players also offer other features which you may find handy ( 4K ,3D, streaming......etc) so I would recommend at least checking them out and having a look/listen.

Your Sony can always be sold off or maybe utilised elsewhere.

If higher quality RBCD playback and all the features mentioned above are NOT important to you...........then something like a used OPPO 93 or new OPPO 103 would better fit the bill.

I'm sure there would be equivalent models out there from CA and others as well.

Don't be afraid to go used. ( OPPO actually sell discounted refurbished models from time to time and offer great customer service )

Work out a budget............do a bit of research............do a bit of auditioning where possible.........make an informed choice................. and enjoy!!!!!

Good Luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.