DeadPool

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by It's Felix, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I was mostly asking because a lot of the comments thus far seem to lean heavily on posters ascribing elements of a 25-year-old comics franchise to the new film exclusively.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Oh I knew why you were asking! :)

drasil likes this.
  3. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Deadpool slays at box office, proves R-rating isn’t a death sentence »

"It looks like 20th Century Fox’s aggressive Deadpool marketing campaign is paying off: The Marvel superhero flick, starring Ryan Reynolds, officially opened in theaters Friday, and early estimates already have it on pace to break the $80-million mark at the U.S. box office this weekend, according to Variety. The superhero movie has gotten off to such a strong start that a climb past $90 million isn’t out of the realm of possibility."

mikeyt likes this.
  4. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I would rank this as my third favorite comic book film behind Guardians Of The Galaxy and Watchmen.

Plus Morena Bacharin :love:

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, and Deadpool actually mentions it at the very end of the film, which is hilarious.

Which just shows that, once again, the studios know nothing. Nobody knows how to predict how well (or how badly) these films are gonna do. I think they're as surprised and troubled by the unexpected smash hits as they are by the unexpected flops. But they prefer the hits. :cool:

Forbes commented:
    "Ladies and gentlemen,Deadpool just made $47.5 million in a single day. That’s the biggest R-rated single day gross in history, above the $42m opening Thursday (including $5m in Wednesday previews) of The Matrix Reloaded.

"It was the biggest R-rated single day, the 39th biggest single day, the 21st biggest opening day, and the second-biggest day ever for a 20th Century Fox release behind the $50 million Thursday debut of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. It’s pretty much the biggest opening day for a superhero comic book movie save the last two Dark Knight movies, Iron Man 2 and Iron Man 3, the two Avengers films, Spider-Man 3, and Man of Steel. So yes, the X-Men spin-off snagged a bigger opening day than any X-Men film. And by the way, while the film played in IMAX and PLF auditoriums, it did not go out in 3D."

'Deadpool' Box Office: Superhero Fatigue Strikes Again With Record $47.5M Friday »

6. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me Thread Starter

1000 times better

Drifter, Scott222C and alexpop like this.
  7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

:edthumbs:

Really looking forward to this. It sounds right up my alley, and while it IS a comic book film, I almost look at it as a reprieve from the comic book films because its unlike the dour/serious Batman and Superman style movies and also unlike the well made and effective, but really safe Avengers type.

drasil likes this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

That's a lot of 'times '.;)

9. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Hope to see this Monday night.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, opinions cut both ways. Consider that there's always the chance you may be misguided.

When virtually all the major critics out there are giving it very positive reviews (84% on Rotten Tomatoes) and it makes $130 million on a holiday weekend, I'd say the critics and the public have already voted. I think you have to go in knowing this is a very raunchy, over-the-top R-rated movie. I would no more complain about "vulgarity" with this film than I would Animal House or Blazing Saddles or any other R-rated comedy. If you don't want raunch, don't go see R-rated films.

I don't think this is a family film, and I think the R rating is justified and young kids shouldn't see this film. But there are far worse things out there in the world than this. Deadpool is at least funny when it needs to be, violent when it needs to be, the story line is unusual, the characters are generally appealing and believable, and it makes sense in a comic-booky logical way. The audience I was with last night blew the roof over the theater -- in fact, I'd say 90% of them stayed until the very last frame, knowing there would be an additional short scene after the credits. Some even applauded when the credits started, and that's a rarity in LA.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This film is a huge fanboy affair. Deadpool is like the new Spawn. Huge following.. Odd though, it's rated R as so many little kids love Deadpool. My son's 13 year old friend lives for Deadpool. It's a favorite comic convention and Halloween outfit. The crossed ninja swords on the back are a big drawn. :sigh: There were lots of teen geeks looking forward to this film, which I why R is odd. Of course, no one pays any attention to those ratings. They don't mean a damn thing. It could have sucked and still made a ton of money over the weekend. Just one of those "what's hot" things. Don't think it has a damn thing to do with the quality of the movie. If you think about it, Thor, Capt. America, et all. They're all ancient characters to these kids, old books. Here's a comic they might have actually read on the screen.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    Vidiot and drasil like this.
  12. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Just saw it in Imax with a full house. Really, really fun, and very well done. I'm sure I annoyed a few people as I'm a loud laugher, but everyone was having a good time. The first 25 minutes or so really rock. It more than lived up to mu expectations having read many of the comics.

John K.

13. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Spawn the movie tanked because it sucked. If it had the fanboy base you ascribe it should have done Deadpool business, but it didn't. In the show I saw, at 7:15, the average age was probably close to 30. Very few teens, if any. It's hot because it's well made, clever, and a lot of fun.

John K.

mikeyt likes this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You're right, really wasn't a FANBOY base back then. That's a new creation. A new trend. A new fad. People didn't have the internet to tell each other what was GOOD so they can jump on the bandwagon and fit in and prove how hip they were. I started going to comic cons back in 1990 and I couldn't get a friend to go with me. Now they always tell me, "You were right about those comic cons, who would have saw that coming?"

15. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

The wife and I just got back from seeing the movie, and I've got to say that it is great. I'm not much into superhero movies (favorites are kick Ass and Unbreakable), so it's easy to say that this movie tops them all.

I wouldn't recommend taking the kids because it is vulgar and way off color but for a mature audience it works considering the character.

driverdrummer likes this.
  16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

We love R rated/18 movies because you don't get kids running around in them. Since the UK wimped out to Hollywood and gave 98% of movies a family 12A rating it's helped ruin the experience.

Old Mac and budwhite like this.
  17. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

I watched it yesterday and enjoyed it a lot. It sounded like everyone was laughing throughout the film, and I noticed that most of the showings have been sold out since opening day. In fact, I was told by one of the theatre employees that some other movies stopped being shown so that those rooms could be used for Deadpool.

18. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

This, of course, opens the door to more R-rated super-hero flicks which I think is a good thing because frankly the genre has grown a little stale. I bet there are some super hero movies that are in pre-production that are being retooled based on these results.
    I don't think we'll see the Disney studios go R unless they release through Touchstone or Hollywood Pictures.

GodShifter likes this.
  19. The Hud

Nowadays, the movie trailors not only give you the rating, but why the movie got that rating. If someone ends up in a movie that offends them, they really only have themselves to blame for not doing a few minutes research. I think these more specific ratings are nice, especially now that I am a parent.

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

wavethatflag and ex_mixer like this.
  21. Even though it's long since passed the point of being in pre-production, I wouldn't be surprised if DC folds based on the performance of Deadpool and requests some last minute pick up shots to restore Suicide Squad to the rating it should have always been, especially considering the source material...

22. Violently hysterical. Loved it.

23. F words nudity sex in addition to the usual violence. But really smart and funny at times.

24. The Hud

All good for me! :) My son turns 1 on Tuesday, so I don't have to worry about movies for him for awhile.

25. A remake of Darkman with humor ?

But seriously it was the funniest film I've ever seen about cancer.

mdm08033 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.