Rush - Test for Echo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 905, Jan 4, 2015.

1. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I don't know about great (I'd give that title to Counterparts), but it's definitely the last Rush album that interested me, and that I have any interest in listening to at least a portion of.

johnny q and warewolf95 like this.
  2. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

any idea why you have no interest in the newer material?

3. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Sure. I don't like it. Virtually any of it. I've heard each album since T4E at least once. If it doesn't grab me, I don't go back for repeated listenings. I have plenty of other music to enjoy.

warewolf95 and Stuart S like this.
  4. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

i guess i meant really wjat in particular do you not care for?

5. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Clockwork Angels didn't grab me when I first heard it (but I put it down to the sound) and I'm glad I kept listening. After the third listen I started to 'get' it and I think it's very good. Frustrating that the studio work can have such a detrimental effect on what is really good material.

Stuart S and stodgers like this.
  6. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Test for Echo was a tough sell to me after the (what I consider) modern rock masterpiece Counterparts. This is the point where the Rush production sound started sounding "processed", "compressed", "Pro Tools-ish", "less organic", etc. There are some interesting moments but not enough to hold my interest. Roll the Bones is similar to me but with even stronger high points...but the rest sound like Presto rejects.

7. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

That's how Rush is for me.

I generally don't get much of it on the first listen, but it slowly reveals itself over time. It's one of the the things I like best about Rush albums.

For Test For Echo I was drawn to the harder stuff right away, but it's the softer songs that really give the album its character (and the return of the acoustic guitar.)

Stuart S and Ivand like this.
  8. JulesRules

I think I am biased in that I only came across them a few years ago, after CA was released. I bought CA and the Gold comp at the same time and I don't think I need to explain which one I got into quicker.

stodgers likes this.
  9. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Would love Test for Echo to get the Audio Fidelity treatment.

poe_man, The Hud and ModernDayWarrior like this.
  10. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

Sounds like your in for a great ride...

JulesRules likes this.
  11. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

I think it's one of only three subpar Rush albums (not a bad career IMO!). The other two being Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels (It's s;lightly better than those two IMO)

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  12. JulesRules

Yeah, I've heard most of their albums since then. It's criminal that I might not have encountered their music at all, since they're still not all that popular where I live.

stodgers likes this.
  13. 905

905 Senior Member Thread Starter

I now like this album quite a bit. It just took a few listens to click.

Happy 20th birthday soon :)

saundr00 likes this.
  14. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

How many listens?

905 likes this.
  15. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

I like it more than Counterparts which preceded it and much more than Vapor Trails which came after. In the Atlantic catalog I put it 4th behind Presto, Snakes and Arrows, and Roll the Bones.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  16. 905

Three is when I started to like it as a whole album, and not just liking a few songs. But the fourth time cemented it. I do still skip Dog Years after the first thirty or so seconds.

JulesRules likes this.
  17. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I absolutely love this album. It was the album that made me get back into Rush after I gave up on them during their ''synth'' years. As a result, it made me re-evaluate their albums prior to this one in reverse order up until Signals. I've been a ''reborn'' Rush fan ever since. I hope there will be a few more!:goodie:

18. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Aren't we all. Hopefully Neil Peart's "retirement" isn't as permanent/thorough as it seems or that it doesn't necessarily preclude a new studio album or two.

enro99 likes this.
  19. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

I think they should do something completely instrumental! Don't worry about touring it, just stay in the studio and do something REALLY spaced out and organic!

wownflutter and enro99 like this.
  20. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

What I like here is how so many folks have quite different favorite Rush albums. Likely to do with when they got into the band, methinks, but I could be wrong. They are like Todd Rundgren, not always great but always interesting and never repeating themselves. My favorite? Grace Under Pressure, hands down (A Show Of Hands down, that is ha ha). I can listen to those songs in any random order and always love them, never get tired of it. Yeah, not their most "masterpiece" I suppose, but definitely my favorite.

As for Test, well, I guess it is time to listen again, and to several others besides.

905 and shirtandtie like this.
  21. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

Oh thank GOD somebody likes Grace Under Pressure! I've always loved that album. It's the last one I really cared for all the way through. Power Windows did me in.

poe_man and 905 like this.
  22. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I think his retirement pertained only to touring, so I'm pretty sure we'll have more Rush albums in the near future.

23. 905

Grace Under Pressure is actually my favorite Rush album.

head_unit likes this.
  24. Joe McKee

Joe McKee Forum Resident

I love GUP! It was one where I got off the bandwagon back in the 80's. I've since gotten back into Rush and enjoy all their albums but GUP is great and one of my favorites.

head_unit likes this.
  25. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Albums??? Were it not for the retirement question, we might be due for one studio album sometime in 2017 when considering their recent output history. Given the retirement, I'm not sure I'd bet on any but would be pleased if it happened.

Signals is my longtime fav but Grace Under Pressure is right up there and perhaps strangely, I'm appreciating Power Windows of late as a natural progression of the previous two. Not as strong but enjoyable nonetheless.

As for the original question, I haven't spent enough time with T4E yet but should do so. I only recently acquired it as part of the Studio Albums 1989-2007 box.

JulesRules likes this.