When was the last time you listened to an album from start to finish, doing nothing else?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by formbypc, Nov 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bhazen

bhazen I Am The Walrus

Yesterday afternoon ... David Bowie, Blackstar. The best 41 minutes of my day it was, too.

Tingman likes this.
  2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Well, unless someone's in a completely blackened room strapped to a chair, we're always doing "something". Does reading liner notes count against this?

I would assume that the OP meant that the music wasn't in the background. If so, then it's almost every day for me - I can listen to an album and read this forum quite easily. It's when I have to do something more focused like Photoshop work or coding or painting/spackling that the music goes more into the background.

3. +1. Typing this response as I've got as I've got Stevie Wonder - Songs in the Key of Life on the turntable.

bleachershane and Gaslight like this.
  4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

My wife and I sat down just the other day and I played a lot of vinyl. One of the albums that got the full playback was

"Nancy Sinatra's Greatest Hits" on Reprise

Each and every song were perfectly placed and was a joyful listening experience. Lee Hazelwood got some great bottom end on his Nancy Sinatra productions. Strange, but when Frank's duet on "Something Stupid" came on, it sounded really empty, as compared to all of the other tracks on this album. I know that "Something Stupid" is a great recording, as proven on the CD "For My Dad", which Steve Hoffman mastered, but whatever tape they used on the vinyl album of that song was not very good.

http://www.discogs.com/Nancy-Sinatra-Nancys-Greatest-Hits/release/1149443

5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

OMD's "Crush" for me right now. When I continue spackling later today (yes there was reason for my earlier comment) whatever I put on will definitely be more background stuff.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  6. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

Yesterday, since I do this little thing known as Vinyl Saturday. On the playlist was Aladdin Sane, All Summer Long, The Final Cut, and Nirvana's Unplugged in New York.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  7. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

When they said "doing nothing else" I assumed browsing these forums would be excluded from that, in fact it's usually these forums that lead me to go listen to something or the other ;)

PC listening lead to a terrible habit for me, in that I'd jump around tracks that I liked and rarely listen to albums from start to finish. It was just to easy to move onto something altogether different on a whim. In the last few years, that habit has turned around almost entirely, I much prefer to throw whole albums and listen from start to finish, maybe I've got lazier, but I much prefer not having to fiddle around with my playlist after every song!

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  8. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Forum browsing isn't any different to me than reading liner notes - the music is still in the forefront and I can pick up details easily. It only changes when I'm actually focused on some other task where extra brain-cycles are required.

If I had to put myself in a box for 100% dedicated listening, I'd probably never post here. I'd probably never be on the Internet at all, save for work-related items. Music is probably playing the vast majority of the time I'm on this site.

SandAndGlass and bleachershane like this.
  9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Really doing NOTHING else. . . it was one afternoon this week I put on a Columbia LP, Eddie Condon's "Bixieland" and was just stopped dead by the sound quality and the performances. . . I did get up to change the LP side but that was it. Awesome LP.

Yesterday I listened to both sides of the Music on Vinyl "Band of Gypsys" and finished reading a book on Gobekli Tepi.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    florandia likes this.
  10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Today - Bowie's Blackstar vinyl.

11. M321115

M321115 Forum Resident

Last Friday driving from Atlanta to Cincinnati. Listened to the first six Squeeze CDs as well as Warchild by Jethro Tull.

12. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Last night, the 2006 hybrid SACD of the Moody Blues' On the Threshold of a Dream. After six months of solitary confinement* my Yamaha multi-format carousel saw the error of its ways and condescended to recognize the SACD layers.

(*It was carefully packed and put into storage while we were out of the house for a remodel, along with most of my very modest system.)

c-eling likes this.
  13. What??? You can do that, I mean listen to an entire album!!!! While doing nothing else!!??? Well son of a BI#*H.
    I am lucky if I get to hear one full song without interruptions. Even a Ramones song, all the way, without interruptions would be fun. I am not complaining, or asking for sympathy, but someone is always asking me for something these days. I guess it is good to be needed but I would like to try this whole album thing once...okay maybe twice, but after that I would begin feeling guilty.

14. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Last night, Yes's Drama. Listening in the dark with my boyfriend, who more or less only listens to classical. It was an experience.

c-eling likes this.
  15. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Last night

I listened to Jean Luc Ponty 'Fables' complete, with my headphones on and lights out

[​IMG]

melstapler likes this.
  16. Carl Swanson

This one . . .

[​IMG]

royzak2000, florandia and chacha like this.
  17. Carl Swanson

When I sit down to actually listen, which is a few times a week, I'm in a darkened room, not reading, not watching TV, not thinking about anything but what I'm hearing. But I usually only listen to one or two albums at most at any one sitting.

Hawklord likes this.
  18. Carl Swanson

Are we talking about "listening" or "hearing?" Listening is active, hearing is passive.

19. Carl Swanson

Last night, the 1994 CD of Pink Floyd's Meddle.

20. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

Every night when I'm ready to go to sleep, I put on headphones and listen to music on my Mac - lights out, eyes closed. Many times, it's playlists on shuffle, but I also will listen to albums all the way through. Last night I was reading a book about Steely Dan (updated 2015 edition of "Reeling In The Years") and then went to bed listening to the albums about which I had just been reading (early demos, "Can't Buy a Thrill" and "Countdown to Ecstasy"). Kind of a 3-D Steely Dan immersion study/lullaby).

florandia likes this.
  21. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yes

22. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Today I was involved in my ongoing task of getting my records in some kind of order , I found a bunch I had bought several years ago, amongst them were the Harry Belafonte' Midnight Special' ,
    Foreigner ' Foreigner' and Gerry Rafferty 'Can I Have My Money Back' .Played all three but played the Belafonte a second time.

23. Meloski

Meloski I don't roll on Shabbat

Tonight - John Coltrane, Blue Train, Miles Davis, Kind Of Blue

24. Jeff57

Jeff57 Senior Member

Just finished...
    [​IMG]

25. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Yesterday. The Stranglers' "Black And White"....the supposedly awful 2001 release with bonus tracks.

veloso2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.