Monkees Record Store Day exclusives 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JDistheone, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

THAT'S the one you're excited for? Rhino called - they want to sell you a bridge.

2. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

I'm with you man. The sycophants are gonna try to rattle your cage and make you think that your opinion doesn't matter. It does. This is how it goes in the Monkees camp. The Super Duper Deluxe release of their 1st album was $70 I wish I had never spent. It so wasn't worth it. This is what Rhino is doing now.

3. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

did Rhino mislead you what was on the $70 deluxe 1st album ? if not then rhino has done no harm to you.

4. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

They didn't mislead me, but the packaging on the CDs (the mini album sleeves) leaves a lot to be desired. When I first bought the set I dropped the CDs because they easily slid right out of the sleeves. They're garbage.

And you're right about the content - I wasn't surprised and shouldn't have been, BUT I had some questions. For instance, who the hell played the solos on the Monkees Theme (not just who played them, but who played each specific solo). It's not listed in the liner notes and I even got in touch with Andrew Sandoval. He was kind enough to answer me with something along these lines: no clue. Isn't that why we pay for Super Duper Deluxe Editions? Aren't the liner notes supposed to be stellar?

Everything that was on this set should have been on the deluxe edition reissues from 2006. There was no need for this set, but again, gotta keep Monkees product available for future generations. At some point, just be done with it all. Put the bow on it. It's OVER.

Maybe I'm just nit picking, but I was super duper deluxe disappointed.

5. King Edward

King Edward Well-Known Member

How do we think the sound quality will be? I would hate to buy these and they be inferior to past releases. Does anyone think Head will sound as good as the recent Head on vinyl by Rhino? Are these 180 gram? I'm assuming in Stereo? Are they simply vinyl versions of the recent remasters rather than a quality vinyl release like Head's I think more info is needed before that gamble.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  6. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't think for the price $134.98 it will be 180G, more like what Sundazed did back in '96 when they issued the first 5 LPs on colored vinyl.
    If you hunt around you can find all 9 LPs between Sundazed, Friday and Rhino on 180G in both stereo and mono, but it sure would be great to have it altogether in one box set.

King Edward likes this.
  7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

If Andrew doesn't know then nobody does, and everything Andrew knows is in the notes. After 50 years some details are going to be lost to history.

8. readr

readr Forum Resident

Yeah, I'm not quite following the logic. The super deluxe editions are for the fans who want every mix in the vault (I'm sure there are Beatles fans who can relate....seems the Beatles boots are very well known and traded/collected amongst their super fans). You see what's on the set months before it's available, and then after it's released you hear a lot of reviews right here on this forum. It shouldn't be hard to access whether it's for you, or not. I thought The Monkees Super Deluxe box set was a little thin, like the Head set, but it had huge upsides as well for the collectors. I knew where my $70 was going.

9. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Ah you're also going to pay upwards of $200 or more searching out the individual albums. Also, the Friday Music releases cost like $30 a title, let's not forget the mystery of what master Friday Music really used. Do I have a show of hands for a CD copy tweaked in Pro Tools pressed to vinyl ? Give me Rhino records when it comes to Monkees releases.

JuanTCB and intv7 like this.
  10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

No more cereal boxes ?

Jane Scranton likes this.
  11. JDistheone

Yep, that's why I sold off my Friday records last year, the mastering is straight from the CDs. I'm done with them.

D-rock likes this.
  12. King Edward

$200 or more? Not if I go after original pressings. Most don't cost very much (except a few later monos but I'm sure some in the wild can be found at inexpensive prices. It isn't Monkees albums both store owners and customers are stalking record stores for.)

13. yellowballoon

I was referring to the new pressing options not Colgems. Oh and Colgems, you mean the pressings the little girls wracked on their little suitcase record players with the heavy tracking force ? LOL

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  14. yellowballoon

Good choice ! Friday Records have done none good to The Monkees catalog. Only cheapened the brand.

Galley likes this.
  15. King Edward

Good point. Lol

I thought their Headquarters deluxe is the definitive version on CD?

16. JDistheone

That was just a copy of the Rhino deluxe set. They added some different pics but mislabeled a few of them, saying one picture sleeve was from Mexico, when it was from Canada. Almost every release they put out has mistakes on it.

17. King Edward

I have both, btw. They don't sound the same.

dasacco likes this.
  18. yellowballoon

Bullmoose has their video up. You can see the Monkees LP box at 1:12:18

JDistheone, D-rock and George C. like this.
  19. JDistheone

Thanks for posting this, it looks like the box is just a slip cover and the LP slide out of the side. I like that better than what Friday Records did for their mono box set. Hopefully I can find a copy this Saturday.

D-rock likes this.
  20. yellowballoon

How about the price? $128 compared to Friday Music mono box $150.. Wth Friday Music!!

21. JDistheone

Already In line at my local store, hope everybody finds what they are looking for!

22. JDistheone

23. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

How's the quality of the Rhino box? Are the covers heavy cardboard like the Head reissue from a couple of years ago? Good scans of the artwork?

24. JDistheone

I wouldn't say heavy cardboard, and they are not 180G.

The first 5 jackets look a little darker, a little fuzzier/grainier, except 'Pisces'. The others look spot on to me. Side by side, the front covers look exactly like the original Colgems jackets with the catalog numbers, Colgems logo and such; there is only a very small Rhino copyright on the back. All the sleeves are the corrected versions, except the first one which is "Jean" on the cover, but "Gene" on the label.

The Head cover is just silver, not mylar. The colored vinyl is pretty good, some are solid, others see-through, good variety.

Overall I think the quality is really good for the price.

25. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Any marking in the deadwax to tell who mastered? I passed up on the boxes at my local and I don't want to kick myself later!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.