Ikea Expedit discontinued. Has anyone has tried the new Kallax as LP storage?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by oregonalex, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

Anyone have any ideas on how to make a DIY backing behind the cubicles so the records are all flush together? I'm not looking to get all crazy with construction. Just something I can maybe get cheap at the hardware store that would prevent my lps from slipping behind the expedit shelves.

2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Someone suggested nailing a piece of molding across the bottom at the right depth. Something like a door stop, shoe molding or quarter round would work.

sound chaser likes this.
  3. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

4. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

There's a guy on YouTube Dixielandfarms who shows a diy backing on the cheap specifically for Lps. I'm on a train now so I can't get the link...

5. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Here it is:

jriems likes this.
  6. morris_minor

morris_minor Vinyl addict

Here's my pipe insulation foam stopping LPs from scooting to the back of the unit, which had been backed by painted mdf to a) stop stuff from falling out the back, and b) to make it more stable . .

[​IMG]

longdist01 and Aftermath like this.
  7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Couldn't hear if it mentioned what the backing material was, but it looks like masonite. That was going to be my suggestion - painted masonite.

The only thing about adding a back to one of these that concerns me is that there really is no substance to nail or screw it into. The Kallax uses a hollow honeycomb filling in the frame pieces that doesn't really lend itself to holding a nail or screw securely. I would think gluing the back on might be a better option, although it would be quite permanent (unless you want to rip the melamine veneer off of the unit upon removal).

8. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

pool noodles or some of that rubber window molding that has a sticky peel off side...

9. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

I used screws and they held just fine.

10. Louis Kirsch

Louis Kirsch Forum Resident

I have Kallax and expedit both are pretty much the same. But neither will hold my Beatles mono box set:sigh:

11. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I have a 2x4 Kallax and my mono box just barely fits. I have my Kallax oriented vertically if that makes a difference.

12. Seancito

Seancito Forum Resident

For all who want to know, I went to the hardware store today and purchased insulation rubber self adhehisive tape about a quarter inch thick and placed it on the bottom of each cube in the back to make all my records flush together. Looks great!

Rob9874, jriems, Aftermath and 2 others like this.
  13. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

Thanks..I just ordered five (limit of five) of the single cubes for $11.88 apiece.
    Amazon.com: Foremost 327622 Modular Open Cube Storage System, Honey: Home & Kitchen »

14. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

I attached 1/4 inch birch plywood to the back of my Kallax. Then I cut 1 x 2 pine board to multiple lengths of 33.5mm. Each board fits perfectly in the back of each cube with the wide end of the board laying flat. Records slide in and are stopped by the board edge, and the front of each sleeve is flush with the front edge of the cube. Looks great and dirt cheap.

sound chaser, Dino and jriems like this.
  15. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

For my black Kallax units, I picked up some square sectional molding at Home Depot. Did a quick black spray paint job on them (not that you ever see them) and ran some countersunk screws through them into the shelves. The molding is a little bit forward of the back end of the shelf and the albums are about a 1/4 inch rear of the front edge of the shelf. Turned out great.

Dino and jriems like this.
  16. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I used quater round molding cut to fit across the back of each cube. I used wood glue but nails would be better to hold them in place. It sets the front of the records about an inch from the edge. I have both styles and prefer the newer Kallax. The only configuration I haven't seen in the new series is the 5x1. I really want a gloss white 5x1.

17. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Not if you run the longer boards across supported by the shorter dividers. They are only designed to hold the weight if set up this way, especially the 4x4. I do have a 2x4 set up horizontally and though it's not supposed to go this way I have it fully loaded with 180gm 45 sets and it's holding fine.

Dino likes this.
  18. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

19. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Excellent point. I just moved and we had some cosmetic work done in the new house before we moved in. I asked the contractor - who is a fair guy who has reasonable prices - to price me 15 linear feet of five shelves for my records. His estimate was nearly $1700. I can get almost the same amount of storage from IKEA (worst case would be 11 of the 1 x 4 Kallax units) for about $720 including sales tax.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  20. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

I like how you leave a few inches on each shelf for flipping. Mine are so tight, I can't see the fronts of the records, and have to read the spines. Any disadvantage to storing this way, and allowing the lean?

21. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

There was no disadvantage, although the space has slowly disappeared...
    ;)

Rob9874 likes this.
  22. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Records have this obnoxious behavior of filling in the space you provide them. :D

Mazzy, Jrr and vinylsolution like this.
  23. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I bought an IKEA TV stand to put my TT on top of the other day - I put it together this afternoon and found that the compartment underneath which looked perfect for LPs will only fit them in if I take them out of the stiff PVC sleeves I put them in for protection... The compartment space is about 12 3/4" high.

Anyone got any experience with Kallax and LPs in stiff plastic sleeves?

24. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Apparently, you saw the picture of my setup I posted with my new Kallax. The interior dimensions are 13.25" tall and wide. I cover all my single and gatefold sleeves with 5mil poly jackets and have no problems storing them, as well as box sets that are even larger.

LivingForever likes this.
  25. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Fantastic, thanks! And yes, I was very impressed by your room... :)

Josquin des Prez likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.