Game of Thrones Season Six! April 24th 2016!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Mar 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I meant give them his complete or incomplete outline & let the TV series finish it instead of anymore books.

2. videoman

videoman Senior Member

He probably has a contract to fulfill.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

however this turns out I'm ready for it...hope it has a few more years!

4. Michael

especially the old woman...

5. Michael

she looked very short next to those men she was walking with....I thought she was taller. His persona is very large.

6. videoman

videoman Senior Member

He probably owes x-number of books. Wasn't this supposed to run 7 books or something?

Michael likes this.
  7. Michael

I know that he was behind in his writing but, I did not read the books...maybe when it's all said and one I will...but I'd rather just watch the TV show first...backwards yes, but so what.

8. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I haven't read the books. My wife loved the first two (or three?) but then the next one added way too many new characters and was boring so she stopped them. We both love the series though.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  9. Michael

Indeed...my wife is mad about this show! we love our time together watching it each week...Sunday can't come soon enough!

Ed Hughes likes this.
  10. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Love the show. But I will say I find it annoying that there seemingly no rules to this universe. Witches? Zombies? Dragons? Kinda gets silly when they can just write whatever they want.

Let's just being Ned Stark back from the dead to fight The Mountain! Let's turn Tyrion into a dolphin!

So I really don't even pay that much attention to the plot lines. I just follow along as best I can. There's not much point in trying to figure out what might come next because it could be anything.

11. Michael

and for us it all works...a show really not meant to be analysis or one would miss the point of the fantasy...much eye candy.

Rubber65 likes this.
  12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I watched the 1st season and was floored! I than read the 1st novel, the 1st season followed the 1st book very closely. I devoured the rest of the series. IMO the 1st 3 are outstanding, really fantastic reading, but the ones that followed lost their way. The thing is the book series started in the '90's, he's always been a notoriously slow writer that's only gotten slower. Add to that, he's no spring chicken and morbidly obese PLUS he's become a wealthy celebrity. Based on the last novels, he seems to have lost his muse so the 'outlines' he's provided might very well be the end of the saga. That said, he's announced that he's continuing the series and that HIS ending won't necessarily coincide with HBO's. I hope to see more books from him 'cause the dude DOES know how to spin a yarn!

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Indeed he does. But does he know how to satisfactorily wrap one up?

lschwart, GodShifter and videoman like this.
  14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

He laid down the gauntlet when he said HIS ending would be better than "LOST"!
    I know, that's not saying much... but, I just assumed that meant he HAS the ending worked out already!

15. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Yeah, that's a pretty low bar...

16. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

I'm assuming George RR Martin is currently working on The Winds of Winter novel which isn't out yet and is taking forever to complete (for whatever reason). If it's taken him this long to complete Winds of Winter, how long do you think it will take him to finish writing the final novel A Dream of Spring. That could be another decade at least. This is just a guess but I'd say that his last novel, A Dream of Spring, will be published and available in 2025. By then the HBO Game of Throne series will have concluded long before that. If Game of thrones is currently in season 6, I can't see HBO making 15 seasons. I'd venture a guess that HBO would conclude the series after 9 or 10 seasons. The series will have wrapped up and George RR Martin will be halfway through writing the final novel. Now I'm just speculating but I can see this happening. Regardless, Game of Thrones is my favorite tv series ever produced. I'll be happy to see whatever the writer's decide to put out.

17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I imagine that he's probably working on one massive novel that will be separated into TWOW and ADOS. Surely his plan is to conclude the book series sooner than 2025. I don't think he's concerned with the timetable of the HBO series though - he'll publish when he's good and ready to.

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The plan is for the HBO show to wrap after season 7. We'll see if that is the case.

dkmonroe likes this.
  19. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Didn't they say last year that now they're pushing for 8 seasons?

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I wasn't aware of that.

21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I remember hearing 8 or 9 seasons at one point but the last thing I heard was 7. Even as successful as it is, it's a very expensive show to produce. It won't go on too much longer, I wager.

Michael and GodShifter like this.
  22. Michael

as long this show lasts it will have been a great ride...I'm happy I was on board.

dkmonroe likes this.
  23. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Yea, I thought I had read that it may go 8 seasons.

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think when you look at premium cable series, the cut off for quality is around 6 to 7 seasons. Series that have exceeded that usually drop in quality after that. It's not a hard & fast rule, but has been the case in the past.

dkmonroe and Deesky like this.
  25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's true, however, I think it's slightly different if you're writing the series out of whole cloth rather than adapting an existing body of work (like the GOT books or say The Expanse).

But the problem in this instance is that the book material has largely dried up, so the show's in uncharted waters (despite Martin's outline info), and therefore may become a factor in the quality of the material.

Having said that, the quality may actually improve now that the showrunners have a freer hand (I thought the previous season as a whole had a noticeable drop-off in narrative quality).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.