Surround sound – Rotel vs Parasound

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Matt Richardson, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’m building a surround system and I’m torn between Rotel and Parasound Halo for amplification. Anyone here have experience with both? Each companies offer 5 channel amps. Rotel’s is 200wpc while Parasound is 250wpc. Parsaound’s amp is also about $1,500 more expensive. I’m mostly interested in sound quality. I would probably be matching this with either the Parasound P7 (seven channel pre-amp) or the Rotel surround-processing pre-amp (both are about $2K). All the speakers are B&W CM series

Thanks for all input.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  2. IanL

IanL Senior Member

For me this is easy. Parasound all the way. I once had a really wonderful surround system built with B&W speakers and Parasound amplification and preamp/processor. It was killer!

3. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

You may want to look at some of the older Parasound amps like the 2205a. You can get them for about a grand and offers all the same sonic characteristics of their newer , much more expensive, Halo amplifiers.

I use one in my system and it's been nothing but roses for me.

IanL likes this.
  4. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

I think all Parasound (pre-pro/power)would be killer .

5. Matt Richardson

Perhaps so, but I currently have an Parasound H21 and P5 running my 2 channel system and I'm not entirely happy with the sound. I think the amp is killer (powerful, deep, tight bass with neutral detailed highs) but I find the P5 pre-amp less desirable (somewhat constricted and forced sounding without much depth). Thing is, does Rotel sound any better?

6. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

My situation was somewhat the reverse. Some years ago I had a Rotel Pre-pro and a Rotel 5 channel power amp. Loved the amp, the pre-pro not so much. Still have the amp (Rotel RMB 1075) although it is not currently in service. If at all possible, try to audition both brands.

7. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Matt,
    Re 2-channel, don't know if this would help or hinder your situation, but last year I placed a nice passive pre in my system (w/my Halo A21) with great results. Great results. Lucked out with my cartridge/phono-pre output and have no impedance mismatch issues. Just a thought.

8. Matt Richardson

I just visited the Luminous Audio website, DPC. Very interesting! I've never actually considered a passive amp before. But it might be just what I need.

9. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

I have Tim's Axiom III, which doesn't seem to be on the website. It's a full size unit w/remote and display. Tim brought over one of his prototypes over for demo (and the Arion phono pre, which is super, but I have many other hobbies!), and I ended up buying it. I think he may have units on Audiogon.

10. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

You're the first person I've come across with a bad thing to say about the halo p5.

It's my pre and I think it's Amazing. I don't use the dac or phono on it and for me they would be the only weak points.

11. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

I recently added a Rotel RC-1570 stereo preamp to my 2-ch system, and it sounds very good paired with my older PS Audio amp and Aperion speakers when playinging vinyl (using a tube Yaqin phono pre). However, listening to CDs through an Oppo 95 is sometimes a tad bright since adding the Rotel, which seems to have a forward detailed upper midrange. Buffering through the Yaqin seems to help (it has a line level input to use as tube buffer for CD).

Don't know if my experience will translate to the the model you are looking at. The Rotel really does seem to add great revealing detail but with B&W speakers I would wonder if it would be too forward or bright. But of course a huge piece of the equation is the amp, which may balance it out.

12. Matt Richardson

Apologies if I’ve transgressed upon any Parasound aficionados here. Admittedly I’m fickle when it comes to relationships with my harem of audio components. One week I’ll love something and the next week I’ll damn it unto the reserve rack. For instance, a few weeks ago, I had concluded that my McIntosh integrated MA6500 was a bloated anachronistic piece of schlock. Then over the past few days after some discerning listening, I actually adore the hunk and incorporated it as the go-to metal for my two-channel system.

The Parasound P5 is a good and worthy item, but sometimes I feel it needs a little more personality here and there. I bet that’s how we all feel about our goods now and then. Whether it’s a $120 Sony receiver or $24,000 PASS whatever.

I have pretty much concluded to stay with Parasound. I now have a newly liberated Halo 21 amp since I re-incorporated my Mac MA 6500 into my two-channel system. What’ I’m planning to do is buy a Halo 23 (three-channel amp) and team that up with my Halo 21. Then, voila, I have five-channels of raw, hunkin, 250-watt versatility:)

IanL and RedRaider99 like this.
  13. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident

I'm dying to hear the JC2 pre. I'm wondering how much better it would be in my system as opposed to the P5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.