RSD 2016 Sound Reviews

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KenJ, Apr 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Still waiting on my first RSD purchases, Wrecking Ball and the two Alejandro Escovedo lps to arrive but very happy to have lucked into a copy of Heartworn Highways from Amazon UK. It had been sitting unavailable in my wish list for a week but popped up last night. No idea what the UK store price was but with freight it works out to 114pounds or in my terms NZ$120 less than the quote from LITA or a locally sold copy.
    I have a copy of the original 2xlp and I'm guessing that the box set vinyl wont be a million miles away but interested to hear from anyone who has a copy. LITA do some great releases but not always the quietest pressings.

2. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Yeah, that James Brown Revue Show is a fantastic recording. My copy is a little warpy and dished on Side 1, but not too bad to play. A very good listen and an extremely good James Brown Recording.

3. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

thanks for this !! …. for some reason i was completely ignoring all the posts about 'the remains' ……. but after reading your post and checking out the sullivan video, and listening to the clips of the 2 sundazed releases, i am in total hunt mode for these LPs !! lol the 'sessions' LP sounds fantastic even off the sundazed website player …. i can only imagine the LP of it will more than deliver!

4. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Super duper pleased with the Mew - And the Glass Handed Kites MOV pressing. They cut it quiet to fit all 50+ minutes on a single LP, but the pressing quality is excellent, especially for clear vinyl (flat, silent), and the dynamics and breadth of the mix are wide and deep. Recommended.

5. hartonr

hartonr Forum Resident

You can order a copy directly from Sundazed, just ordered mine last week for around $35.

polchik likes this.
  6. marmil

marmil It's such a long story...

Yeah, this is one of the UK RSD releases that I'm waiting for the price to go down on. Also Dr. Feelgood - Down By the Jetty (white wax), Grapefruit - Lullaby, Small Faces - The Autumn Stone (7"), and 2 10x7" boxes: Punk Classics 45s and Mod Classics 45s (tho I haven't seen the last 2 at all).

Earwax and ptijerm like this.
  7. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

What content is on Them EP? I understand that Here Comes The Night & Turn On Your Lovelight is taken from NME Concert. What about Baby Please Don't Go?

8. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Alanis Morrisette Demos is totally worth getting. Well pressed and quiet even with splatter colored vinyl.

Now listening to Etta James' At Last. I got the Speaker Corner pressing but I couldn't resist extra tracks and colored vinyl :)

Drew769 likes this.
  9. Louis Kirsch

Louis Kirsch Forum Resident

I'm excited to hear the great reviews on this. Just got mine on Monday from the bay. Paid a tad over retail but I'm a BE fanatic so it's a non-issue.
    Glad to hear the recordings are quality. I have a few of their others like the Wes Montgomery Echoes of Indiana Ave and while the pressing is quiet the still sounds like it was recorded in a garage.

10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Is the Alanis worth getting even if you don't have any of her albums? Even if she doesn't know the meaning of the word "ironic"? ;-)

11. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

If you don't enjoy her style or singles, I guess it's not worth getting :) This demo album is very well recorded however.

sonofjim likes this.
  12. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I actually have enjoyed a few songs. I don't know her albums.

13. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Etta James - At Last! (Speakers Corner vs RSD 2016). Comparing only the intro of At Last! The RSD mastering is brighter; the SC pressing seems to be smoother on the top end, especially when she sings LAAAA-ST in the beginning. The RSD is mastered quieter due to the extra songs, which put At Last at the end of Side 1, where as the original has At Last! at #2 on side 2.

I prefer the Speakers Corner pressing but the RSD is worth having if you can't find an analog copy. I also noticed there's an extra initial in the RSD side 2 deadwax. KG&ML@CA. However side 1 has only KG@CA. Weird eh? Maybe someone else mastered the extra songs?

14. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I'll back you up here. Good songs, good sound and cool colored vinyl. Unfortunately, mine has some monitor surface noise issues, which is unusual for a Rhino release these days, but very good release and not too pricey.

15. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

The Jethro Tull "Too Old To Rock And Roll! Too Young To Die!" Reissue, mixed by Steven Wilson, is extraordinary. Quiet, shiny, clean vinyl...dynamic and sounds like it was recorded (well) yesterday. The music is great, too. Less dark than some older, more iconic 'Tull. I wasn't expecting demo-grade sound from this release, but Steve Wilson continues to impress with everything he touches. Wow. Don't miss this one if you have any love for prog-rock.

j4yheindeo likes this.
  16. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

+1

This is the kind of RSD release I like best - unexpected, something I would not normally buy perhaps, but thoroughly enjoyable. The vinyl is cool looking and surprisingly well-pressed.

sonofjim likes this.
  17. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I would actually put most of the titles I ended up with this time in the same category. I was pretty uninspired by the pre-release listings and thought I might just pass. I think I now have more RSD releases this time than any other (largely because they're still a lot readily available locally). All of these were completely unexpected and very pleasant surprises. My highest recommendation list now includes:

Alanis Morrisette Demos
    Tom Petty-Kiss My Amps
    Alternate Tusk
    The Doors-Live at the Aquarius
    The Remains
    The Easy Beats
    Son Volt-Live at the Bottom Line

I still know of local stores that still have the White Stripes Peel Sessions, Jethro Tull Too Old and Emmylou Harris Wrecking Ball. I may end up with more yet.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  18. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

That Remains LP might just be the best RSD purchase I have made in years.

Strummergas, Beatledust and sonofjim like this.
  19. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Thanks. Do you recall if it was mono or stereo?

Thanks.

20. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

What's the sticker price on this album? I still haven't seen it in any store.

21. Mr. Webster the Poster

Mr. Webster the Poster Well-Known Member

Rhino Nuggets review please?

22. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

I haven't seen one in local stores either. I had to order mine on-line from Turntable Lab. The price was $29.95. (White Stripes-"Complete John Peel Sessions")

23. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

$35 at my local shop.

24. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

Wrecking Ball sounds phenomenal.

25. copter76

copter76 Forum Resident

Again, James Brown Revue is amazing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.