Has Beyonce done enough to be considered a living legend?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SF Georgie

SF Georgie Forum Resident

Has SHE done enough? There are likely others that have done less that are considered legends. So based on that, she could. I remember how awkward Beyonce & Kelly Rowland would act in trying to make it seem like the original Destiny's Child break up didn't happen & that Michelle was such a fit. It seems to me that Beyonce is aware that a lot of her exaggerated success comes from people saying that she's a role model because she doesn't get caught in scandals. Throughout the years, she keeps smiling the same way she did when she tried to cover up the silliness of the new Destiny's Child. It's the media that has made her look even better. Her true fans already love her while the extra fans don't really care but they don't really hear bad stuff about her to be trying to come up with stuff, so they just go along with she must be great then. At this point, Beyonce just doesn't blink and lets the rest get out of hand in her favor. She often looks spooked, like even she can't believe how she is made out to be. I say she hasn't done enough, but there's so many types of legends & a lot are determined by people, regardless of how wrong they are.

2. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I agree, those that have heard lots of music, enough to have perspective about what is special and what is not, say she is not.

Those that have heard not nearly as much music seem to think she's good.

3. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Children, mostly.

4. videoman

videoman Senior Member

So how did you mange to be so perceptive that you could pick out those special artists when you were young?

SITKOL'76 and ralphb like this.
  5. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

Dude, get off your high horse.

6. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

It's just marketing. Everyone's try to make a buck, or a billion of them. Legends can charge more for a concert ticket and a tee shirt.

7. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Yes, because god forbid a singer should ever have a little fun or a sense of humor or do something silly for their fans, like Elvis laughing his way through the nutty live version of "Are You Lonesome Tonight?"

curtwill1975 and SITKOL'76 like this.
  8. videoman

videoman Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I'm 61, I've heard a lot of music, so I can assure you that Beyoncé, and especially now with Lemonade, is the real deal.

10. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Man it boggles my mind that this thread has detoriated into judging an artist for making a sexually provocative video. Maybe I should start a thread disqualifying Jim Morrison as a legend cause he exposed himself in Miami. No that would be crazy cause that story is cemented as gospel on how provactive and rebellious he was as an artist, who straight society just didn't get.

11. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

A sexually provocative video with an average at best song. Therein lies the rub. Beyonce tries to act like a freak on occasion. Rihanna appears to be a real freak. I respect that.

12. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Well the rub works both ways. I find tons of Doors songs average at best. Is he a legend? Of course he is. He had a major impact on those stupid youngsters that had no idea what good music is cause they are just so young and therefore have no viable opinion on what good music is.

13. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I checked out that explicit Rihanna video and found the song to be pretty decent, justifying the jaw-dropping sexual imagery. Otherwise, it would be boring and stupid.

14. videoman

videoman Senior Member

To get back to the original question---

The term "living legend" is generally reserved for those old enough to be legendary, but are still living. Beyonce is 34. Diana Ross and Cher are "living legends". Neither were considered "living legends" when they were 34.

Get back to me in 30 years.

SITKOL'76 and Aurora like this.
  15. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I feel better about the members of the forum.

16. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I didn't watch the video and am not familiar with the song. I'm just talking in general.

17. videoman

videoman Senior Member

It's nice to see that SOMETHING can still get them excited in their old age.

Malina likes this.
  18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

It was different before 1979.

You just had to be there.

19. videoman

videoman Senior Member

THOSE kids really understood good music and what makes an artist special.

Much more than their parents could, of course.

And, of course, MY kid is different. Her and her friends just LOVE it when I bring out my Beatles' LPs and play them. They drool over the album covers and ask me questions about what was it was like back then. And then they ask to hear more. And they can't STAND Beyoncé.

I'm such an amazing father.

Gaslight likes this.
  20. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I was. I still think Beyoncé is great. Give a listen to Lemonade, it's what used to be called a tour de force, and it's brilliant.

JL6161, videoman, SITKOL'76 and 2 others like this.
  21. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Beyoncé has, to this point, been an artist I've just been "meh" about. Appreciate her work ethic and like her feminist attitude about things and she's had some singles I like, but she was never an artist I was that interested in buying an entire album of. I did download "4" because I heard great things about it, but it was just 'ok' for me.

"Lemonade" changes the game for me. As someone else here said, she's the real deal. Watched the video last weekend and I was transfixed. Loved the music. Can't wait to buy a physical CD of it when it is released.

I'm 54, FWIW.

JL6161, JohnnyQuest and ralphb like this.
  22. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm not a fan of Beyonce but Lemonade won my respect. It turned me into a believer. Now I understand what the hype is about.

JL6161, videoman and ralphb like this.
  23. Scott S.

I take it you're immortal and have no intentions of aging?

24. Scott S.

I just don't think her music is any good.

25. videoman

videoman Senior Member

No, I just intend to do it gracefully. I don't intent to do while jealously guarding the icons of my generation and railing against anything new or discordant to my ear or taste. I tend to do it fully understanding that the world evolves and there are many more ways to go about doing things than I ever figured out how to do.

And that enjoying my past doesn't mean I have to live in it. That newer generations have much to offer and teach me as well as I have to teach them.

ndoheny likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.