Fear The Walking Dead - amc Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Apr 30, 2015.

1. videoman

videoman Senior Member

There aren't many American actors on the show. Those playing Nick and Alicia are Brits. Travis and Alex are Kiwis.

At least Ruben Blades is from the right hemisphere!

Vidiot likes this.
  2. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Very interesting. I'd lean towards this theory also. It all fits. Strand doesn't seem like an upstanding pro-social citizen. He seems to be out for himself, a tell tale sign of a drug smuggler/dealer.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Just finished watching the first season on Amazon and been very impressed. The measured build up worked extremely well and the breakdown of societal normalcy and the lurch into anarchy was well covered. I've yet to watch any of season 2, but think they might have a different task on to differentiate FTWD from TWD. Either way though, I'll give it a ready spin over the weekend.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL, or a man that understands the seriousness of dead ppl wanting to eat you, ppl wanting to steal, and kill you...ppl cannot separate the real and fantasy worlds of these shows...Strand is more realistic than any of the others who still live in PC fantasy land...yea, like that other show...Negan is reality.

5. videoman

videoman Senior Member

???

It that the only reason we don't eat each other in the real world? Political correctness?

6. Michael

how can you can you come up with that analogy? when was the last time you came across a Zombie who was eying you for lunch? O' wait you're joking!

7. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I just thought it odd you called living in a world before zombies "PC fantasy land". I can't imagine what "PC" has to do with any of it. It's a zombie show. lol

Michael likes this.
  8. Michael

I do, you don't... we just disagree so never the twain shall meet...Odd? not at all.

9. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Common sense would tell most people to stay away from the edge of a cliff much less teeter on a crumbling edge. I'd tend to root more for likeable, smart characters.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It drives me crazy when they won't hire Americans to play Americans! What I hear from actor/friends of mine is that there is no reciprocal employment agreement where they can put on a fake British accent and work in England, nor can they easily talk like an Aussie and work in Australia or New Zealand. But those actors can work here, no problem. Crazy.

I don't dispute that the actors do well in these roles, but I feel like there's 20 other people that probably could have been equally good. Especially in LA.

rufus t firefly likes this.
  11. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Me too. But unfortunately, smart characters make for very poor drama. Especially in a show that involves people needing to be in danger of being eaten by slow moving creatures.

12. videoman

videoman Senior Member

It does make you wonder. I mean there's no doubt that these foreign actors on both these shows are some of the best actors they have. But yeah....

something to get President Trump on no doubt! ;)

13. Even Norman Bates is a Brit

14. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Try "The Americans" for, gasp, smart characters, in logical (given the show's premise) situations. Helluva good edgy drama, i.e., their last 3 episodes off the chart suspenseful.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  15. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Oh I love the Americans. Haven't seen the last 2 episodes yet, so I've stayed away from that thread. But this season is much better than the 3rd, which I thought was a bit of a drag.

But yes. There's more room for the characters to be smart and still get in peril in a show like this. A zombie show? A bit tougher, I think. Someone's gotta fall in a hole or trip over a wire or set a car alarm off or something....

But one reason I give them a little bit of leeway for doing dumb things is---they are in a situation no one has ever been in before. So what's the 'smart' thing to do? WE know because we're ahead of the curve of the characters. Especially on this new show where they are back at the very beginning of the outbreak.

And also remember, there is apparently no zombie-lore in this universe. No one ever calls them "zombies". It's as if there was never a Night of the Living Dead movie or any such thing before. They are completely in the dark with all of this.

16. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Just binged the last 3 episodes of The Americans tonite. Videoman, are you in for a treat :edthumbs:
    I get what yer saying as it pertains to dumb actions in Zombie shows. One flick that actually references zombies and zombie movies is Return of the Living Dead. So many lines to quote......

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The Americans is a really, really great show. The current thing they're on with Martha (the formerly-clueless secretary) is pretty stunning. That storyline will not end well.

That's a real conceit on the part of co-creator Robert Kirkman and the showrunner(s). I think initially somebody at AMC was worried that the Night of the Living Dead people might sue -- despite the fact that zombie movies and stories have been made for about 75 years -- so they just opted to pretend that nobody had ever seen or heard of zombies before. I agree, it's kind of goofy, particularly when they resort to the exact same trick of shooting, stabbing, or chopping the zombies in the head to stop them.

The most unique zombies I ever saw were the ones in World War Z, which was not a very good movie but by god, those were very cool, surprising creatures. I particularly liked the way they could swarm all the way up a wall and basically form a ladder so that other zombies could scale the wall.

Kubricker likes this.
  18. videoman

videoman Senior Member

I kind of like that it's an unknown universe. I don't think we really need scenes of characters talking about how they saw this or that in a movie once. And I like that they each have their own unique names for the walkers/infected/biters etc.

But it does seem that in this latest series that everyone has figured out all the tricks pretty fast.

19. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

I just realized something. I don't think that the characters nicknamed the zombies like Rick did in TWD. Everyone in TWD either calls them walkers, biters, but what have the characters nicknamed them in FTWD. Or maybe I missed it. Did I hear a few of them simply call them The Dead a few times.

Michael likes this.
  20. Michael

give 'em time they will find a "pet" name for them...this is the early years when it was all new.

21. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I heard this discussed on the talking dead podcast (unrelated to the TV show) and they call them "the infected".

Michael likes this.
  22. Michael

infected now walkers later...that fits.

23. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm starting to like Nick more, but the rest are back on my death list.

dynamicalories likes this.
  24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Another solid episode.

Nick was great. Madison I thought stepped up to the plate.

25. Did the band The Zombies exist in this universe?