Elvis Presley: The Album Collection - 60th anniversary of Elvis' RCA contract (18th March 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MEMPHISSUN, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Anyone able to list the different sounding Harum Scarum cds released? I assume the recent box (subject of this thread) is the original stereo although that might even be ERS.

2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

We are talking apples and oranges. You are talking about what albums you enjoy. I am talking only about vocal capability, irrespective of the material.

3. SKATTERBRANE

Harum Scarum was never ERS. Although there have been various masterings, as far as I know there have only been 2 mixes. Double Features were remixed, and mostly they added reverb, which tamed that very upfront vocal. All other stereo releases of Harum Scarum use the same mix. I actually like dry vocals. However although many think it does not make for good records, it does sound better on in movie theatres at the time. One good example is on Tickle Me the excessive reverb on It Feels So Right is out of place. With one exception, previous studio recording were used for Tickle Me and were inconsistent in atmosphere because of this.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

As far as I know, every single release of this material except the Double Features CD has the sh**ty original stereo mix.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  5. Spanish Prisoner

Spanish Prisoner Forum Resident

Well, why are you focusing on vocal ability?

That's not the point of this thread at all. This thread is about is about 60th anniversary box set.

So, discussion about the albums included in this set is pertinent.

Your focus on Elvis' vocal capabilities at different point in his career, seems to be a discussion for a completely different thread.

6. SKATTERBRANE

Most of the 60s soundtracks were done in 3 track. Instruments hard left (sometimes right) backing vocals hare right (sometimes left) and Elvis centered. This gave the movie studio flexibility to control the vocal level for the film to hear the vocals most clearly. It did not always transfer well to the actual record.

7. SKATTERBRANE

I was responding to other posters in this thread. And then it seems people came out of the woodwork with the concept that Elvis vocal capabilities never diminished, or if they did, it did not matter. I just have a hard time sitting still for this. However, I have also talked extensively about the SQ on this box. And again, it seems people cannot accept this. It is like Elvis fans refused to hear anything critical about Elvis EXCEPT his movie albums. I guess it is because the distain for the movie albums have been established and even reluctantly accepted by fans.

Please, I would LOVE for people to point out other issues with sound quality in the box when they already had better sources at their disposal . The issues would not be as upsetting if they did not already have better sources for the Sun, Love Me Tender, Jailhouse Rock, Viva Las Vegas, material in partially or in whole. And glitches on songs such as One Night, Playing For Keeps, One Track Heart, rolloff on I Got Stung. etc. There are so few people discussing sound quality as if it does not matter, Then there is the overwhelming amount of people who think it is the best sounding they have ever heard. That leads me to believe either they have not heard the best or they cannot discern the best from this box.

I have yet so notice anyone here or on FECC point out a single song whose master or source is inferior to another source before I have. And even after I have so few agree. There are a few who get it. On FECC there is a guy who stated that the FTD material is superior in every way to this box. I think there are cases where that is not true, but in general I agree with him. Is he the ONLY one? Much of TCM sources are better as well, but few seem to know or care or agree. It is so easy to jump on the bandwagon and gush over the SQ of this box. I am not going to do it.

8. Spanish Prisoner

It seems that there are several different sub-conversations going on in this thread.

You're absolutely right that several people have been discussing Elvis' vocal capabilities. My response to you is that when I listen to a particular song or album, I listen to it and judge it on its own merits, not in comparison to every other song or album recorded by the artist.

Everyone posting in this thread is an Elvis fan and is familiar with his biography, so to keep pointing out the fact that Elvis' health (and vocal ability) deteriorated in his later years, which lead directly to his death at an early age, seems redundant and unnecessary.

Being a fan, doesn't mean you need to enjoy everything an artist releases. In my view, Elvis did record a lot of garbage, most of it on the mid 60's soundtracks. That doesn't diminish the amazing work he did at other points in his career. In some ways, it actually makes him more human.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    JLGB and Price.pittsburgh like this.
  9. SKATTERBRANE

And as to Elvis vs Orbison vocal range. Orbison had a 3 octave range. Elvis was one note short of a 4 octave range. Orbison E2-E5. Elvis B1-A5. Elvis could go quite lower and Orbison could go a bit higher. And Orbison comfort zone was generally higher than Elvis' comfort zone.

My point had nothing to do with enjoyment. I do not argue that. What I enjoy or you enjoy is something that cannot be argued against, only appreciated. You would rather listen to EP Boulevard, I would prefer Spinout. So what?

I would rather listen to a bad song done well than a great song done poorly.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  10. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Yeah I agree it gets worse at time goes on but even the crappiest soundtracks have some of those charming highlights IMO. Confidence comes to mind. A total ripoff of Sinatra's High Hopes but I still enjoy it

Rock66 likes this.
  11. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

I'm about halfway through the box set. While generalizations about the individual CDs are fair, I believe that overall the sound quality is good, especially compared to the 80's and early 90's releases. I have the recently issued soundtrack box, and while I appreciate that some will not like much of what Elvis did during that period of his career there are some people that don't like anything Elvis did during his career. I read peoples opinions to see if they have an insight I have not thought of. I listen to the music to see if I can get into it for overall sound, but I also listen for enjoyment. Old MacDonald could be nominated for worst Elvis song, but that does not negate the fact there are several tracks on the Double Trouble soundtrack that I like. Plus, I really like Old MacDonald in a cruel way - I can use it to torment people when I have control of the stereo. :rant:

I see that there is an Elvis vs. Orbison thread that has been set up. A wise move. I have enjoyed the comments about the box set (and learned a few things), but agree that the Elvis vs. Orbison discussion would have a tendency to misdirect this helpful thread.

12. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I thought Steve Hoffman had stopped those daft "vs" threads? Elvis vs Orbison FFS! Both great, but what's the point in that? Anyway, moving on... :)

Shawn likes this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Where did you get that Elvis had a 4 octave range? All reports Ive seen have called his vocal abilities 2.5 to almost 3 octave at the very most.

14. SKATTERBRANE

15. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Regarding the "Elvis vocal ability" discussion:

[​IMG]

At some point you have to just agree to disagree.

Rock on!

Maffune, Bemagnus, Rock66 and 2 others like this.
  16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just arrived in 1970...From Memphis To Vegas / From Vegas To Memphis

I am in my comfort zone from here on...

Rick H. and artfromtex like this.
  17. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

That live set from '69 is smoking. Jerry Schiff called it Punk Lounge. "My Babe", "Johnny B. Goode", "Words", "Mystery Train/Tiger Man" are all 5 star cuts.

"I looked her square in the eye...."

JLGB and Myke like this.
  18. SKATTERBRANE

I remember buying that 2 LP the week it came out. I have always loved it. I think I played Back In Memphis more often than From Elvis In Memphis. Being the completest I am, I also bought the two albums when they were separately issued later. Both the two record set and the individual LPs stayed in print simultaneously through the late 70s. Both the double album and the International Hotel single LP made gold.

spinout66 likes this.
  19. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

One doesn't need to compare From Elvis Presley Boulevard to earlier albums to recognise on songs like "Love Coming Down" that his voice is completely and utterly shot.

And I don't see how it's irrelevant in a discussion about music albums to talk about the quality of singing on said albums. Some praise the vocal work in 1976 as merely a natural progression of his voice (positive) which is odd, especially if we are indeed all fans in this thread and know full well the circumstances and condition he was in when making that music.

If the thread is only meant to talk about the box set then I guess no one should talk about anything other than the packaging and sound quality?

Discussing the musical content is off-topic?

20. Price.pittsburgh

Love Coming Down was always decent to me until I heard a prime George Jones version. So it is interesting how well Elvis sounds only a year earlier on Green Green Grass From Home, it being another Country track. And also not long before that with Honky Tonk Angel

21. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

I agree. If only.

22. Spanish Prisoner

Matthew, your assertion that Elvis; voice was "completely and utterly shot" on "Love Coming Down" is completely subjective and something that I strongly disagree with.

Again, it's no secret that Elvis was in poor health in 1976/77. So what, In my view, Elvis made some far worse recordings a decade earlier when he was in better health.

When I listen to an album, I don't need a medical report of the artist at the time of the recording.

I either enjoy it or not based on it's own merits.

Maffune, BlueSpeedway, JLGB and 2 others like this.
  23. You seem to really have a problem with people enjoying later Elvis material. Who cares what people like or don't like.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
  24. Price.pittsburgh

Compltely and utterly shot is a bit extreme. To me thats more of a description of old men singers like when Sinatra and Cash got up in age. Not sure if it was you or someone else who said for only being 41 Elvis sounded 20 years older. I can't agree with that at all. He dose not sound 61. Maybe 50 or so but not a full 20 years.

johnny q likes this.
  25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse