History Channel's Alone

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris from Chicago, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

Season two starts Thursday April 21. Ten people get dropped off in a most inhospitable location with a small selection of survival tools. You want food? Find it. You want shelter? Build it. You're cold? Get warmer. Geographic problems (mountains, lakes) prevent any one contestant from finding another. The premise is...stay as long as you can. Last one to tap out wins. Last season's winner stayed for 56 days before being declared winner.

I can't vouch for how realistic this show is. But it seems more genuine than Naked and Afraid (which I also like) and Dual Survival. It's a nice spring/summer guilty pleasure.

2. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Thread Starter

Taking place on Vancouver Island. The forest is thick and dense. It was raining and cold. Sounds from deep in the woods are getting in people's heads. Bears, cougars, and wolves are not only visiting, this is where they live. One contestant found a beach full of mussels. But they were inedible due to the red tide. The big bad army man tapped out on day one. Staying here seems like torture.

Only the motivation of $500,000 to stick around. So many reasons to not to. I imagine a good tip would be not start thinking of your family back home. That emotional burden would probably break you.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Sean and GodShifter like this.
  3. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Sounds great. I'm going to have to check this out. I'm getting tired of "Survivor" with the casting & direction of the show.

4. Chris from Chicago

This week's installment introduced a few more contestants. They're stuck in a beautiful place. But it is where only wildlife lives. There are few useful resources. There is bull kelp to eat...Mmmm. And one guy befriended a duck. Then found the duck dead. Did it die from prey? Or disease? Do you take the chance and eat it. What if you're starving?

It's six days in. 10 people started. 9 remain. Tents are being built. And some are finding food. But no one is living in comfort.

Tree of Life and GodShifter like this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I love shows like this. "Survivorman" was a favorite and I liked what I saw of "Naked and Afraid". I have always dug man v. nature shows. Thanks.

6. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Glad to see the History Channel maintaining its already high standards.

:mad:

God forbid they actually air a show about history (especially now that H2 is gone).

7. Chris from Chicago

Yeah. I know. Brought to you by the same network that presented Mermaid: A Body Found. I still can't say with confidence how genuine this show is. But it comes off as the real deal.

Pete Puma and Ignatius like this.
  8. Gary7704

Gary7704 Chasing that sound….

Great show.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  9. Chris from Chicago

This week's installment...

Severing an artery with an axe on your hand while cutting wood...sucks every bit as bad as you might imagine it does. Brutal. Another one taps out.

Having to start a fire in a soaking wet environment by way of friction and two sticks? Yep. Sucky.

Who knew crawling up a rainy mossy mountain with cut logs slung over your shoulder to build a shelter would NOT incite giggles of joy?

The native American-ish guy seems at peace with the land. Seems to understand it. Respect it. Don't know how this is going to pan out...but he comes off as a guy in his element. Time will tell. But I see him an early favorite.

And losing your fire starter thingie off of a Pacific island in Canada when there are no other means of heat? Yeah...sweet.

The former soldier, and police woman...has some heavy tales to tell. I not only think she's got the ladyballs to win this. I want to hear more of what she has to say.

This is getting real.

Couldn't pay me enough to even try this l let alone attempt to win.

Living rooms are good. Being home is good. Listening to angry bears fight while you're laying in your makeshift branch and leaf tent?... not really all that good.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Jodi Siebert likes this.
  10. Chris from Chicago

A momma bear and it's cub sniff around a sleeping contestant's tent at night. Well yeah, just like a night at the Hilton.

One dreamt of being kissed by his wife. So he kissed back. Turns out a giant slug was crawling over his mouth that exact moment. Mmmm. Romance? Maybe. But this guy went on to build some luxury amenities. Like a stove and a water fountain.

Turns out getting water in your boot because you weren't ready for high tide while fishing? Not the best.

Going through this seems like it would suck. Big time. But watching it? I can't turn it off.

head_unit likes this.
  11. mrbluedream

mrbluedream Well-Known Member

I love these type of shows, except man vs wild. That one doesn't count.
    I think I would be able to last maybe 3 or 4 days in 'alone' type of situations.

Though I spent 6 months being homeless..

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Maybe this was addressed and I missed it, but do these people have dedicated crews or do they have to do their own filming like Survivorman? Are medical stations set up some miles away in case of an emergency? Do they have a two way radio in case there is?

I guess what I'm asking is: how "alone" are these people?

13. Chris from Chicago

They are "alone" alone. The first episode show them learning how to use the the cameras provided. One is handheld. One is attached to their person. And another is on a tripod. Like Survivorman, you can set up a tripod, and record yourself cutting logs or fishing. The ones most astute at it, are featured on the show more. Because...well...there is more video footage of them to be seen.

No camera crews. No doctors. A few weeks ago, a woman severed an artery with an axe while cutting wood. She had to press the red button on the satellite phone, and wait 2 hours for a boat to pick her up. But the phone is to be used only to be picked up if you tap out. No talking to anyone. Other than yourself.

GodShifter likes this.
  14. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

History Channel a joke channel, even when it was called the World war two channel it had some focus, not now.
    Call yourself MTV you are just as relevant.

15. Chris from Chicago

I liked your post. But not the homeless part. Definitely don't like that. Sorry to hear that.

mrbluedream and GodShifter like this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Interesting but raises the question: what if these people die doing this? I would imagine THC has covered their ass with waivers and what not, but still. It seems very risky. Even Survivorman had a medical team set up some miles away in case of an emergency. For instance, a severed artery could be death quite quickly even if the person has some medical knowledge.

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Gotta stay in business, yo. Only a select group of people want to watch " The Secret Vaults of Hitler" so much. You are right, though, that the station lost its focus years ago. It happens.

18. Chris from Chicago

Perfectly valid question. People have gotten hurt. Some badly. But nothing fatal, thankfully. They are armed with bear mace if it came down to it.

There are physical dangers. But it's really a psychological test of what you are willing to voluntarily endure.

GodShifter likes this.
  19. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I don't care for reality tv or even the host of survivor type shows that appear on the networks these days, but I love "Alone." The people really are alone, in every sense of the word. It odd to me, but some of the contestants seem unprepared for the fishing aspect of survival on the island. One guy cant catch anything & is getting desperate for food & fresh water. Some of them are doing very well, even thriving so far. The animal situation makes it somewhat dangerous. Last season some of the contestants never saw a bear. Some saw them right away & bugged out. One guy had a mountain lion come around his camp. That would scare me worse than the bears. Either way, these people have to be careful.

20. mrbluedream

mrbluedream Well-Known Member

Learning experience, that's for sure.
    Don't take things for granted

21. Chris from Chicago

Yeah. With all of the scripted "reality" shows (I don't think Naked and Afraid is all that real) today, this one seems legit. Some adapt better than others. One guy appears to have built a kitchen.

22. Chris from Chicago

This week's installment:

"Hoping that bears stay on their side of the river"...is a faith beyond my personal comprehension.

Someone builds a gym with logs and a beach found comically heavy iron chain. Pretty smart way to use your down time provided you have enough food for energy.

Log walls? Infinitely better than leafy branch walls. Well...yeah...now.

One guy builds a cabin. Another a urinal carrying his pee away from him home without having to leave his dwelling.

One woman builds what seems to be an awesome structural shelter. With a sturdy working, movable door. But you never really know how sturdy anything is until the storm comes.

And a storm, it will come. Last week, a guy built a table, a sink, chairs and a faucet with running water. Crafty little bastard. Turns out if you don't fasten your man made wood kitchen appliances to something...anything...they can blow away into the ocean. Take note...you future in-the-middle-of-nowhere-in-a-jungle-by-the ocean survivalists in the winter. Jeesh.

The music on this show, a subtle, quiet piano tinkling in the background is accompanied by an occasional heavy breath...or sigh. It's barely there. But it's there. And somehow it adds a sense of dread.

No one tapped out. Seven contestants remain.

GodShifter likes this.
  23. Chris from Chicago

Tonight's episode:

One particularly happy pirate took sail. On the ocean. In a homemade boat. Because being on land with wild hungry animals in the cold Canadian forest isn't dangerous enough.

Another tests the swear "beep" button to see if it works. It does. He lost a territorial dispute with a mouse. And then...that's when he got seriously emotional. But a change of scenery makes for a sunnier disposition.

The woman with her bear friends continues to catch salmon. Big salmon. Me...I'm not much of a fisherman. I want some fish, I go buy some. That works pretty good for me. But if I had to catch some to live, I'm calling this lady.

The hairy man is almost as good as fishing as making funny faces in his camera. Almost.

Native man starts building a boat. Why do I just know he's going to do a great job at it?

Seven contestants remain still.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    GodShifter likes this.
  24. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

That dude that does all the cussin' has issues. He just cant seem to handle any stress. Guy with the long beard seems to be coping allright after losing his fire rod, but the loneliness is affecting his mood. The little woman is catching some big salmon but I hope she keeps an eye out for those bears. I've got a bad feeling about the homemade boats. Someone is gonna get in trouble. I have really enjoyed this season so far.

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Anybody watching History Channel's " Roots ".How does it compare with the seventies version ?