Poll--The Weakest Link: Tom Petty FULL MOON FEVER, Round 2

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Self, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

We painted "Zombie Zoo" into a corner and "A Mind With A Heart Of Its Own" wasn't too pumped about our choice last time.

Two more need to go this time.

Discussion question: When did you first hear FMF? What did you think of it then?

T11 A Mind With A Heart Of Its Own
    T11 Zombie Zoo

2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

The Apartment Song
    Alright For Now

DQ: I heard it when it was released in 1989. Liked it then, still do. "A Face in the Crowd" and "Runnin' Down a Dream" were/are my favorites.

3. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better
    The Apartment Song

DQ: I heard a radio promotion show the weekend before the release, I Won't Back Down was already released as a single. I liked Petty and I like Jeff Lynn and I lieked what he did with George Harrison's Cloud Nine. Then there was Cheer Down, witch was the four runner of the Wilburys. So, I picked it upon it's release. The same with the MFSL version. I do like the album, I like the songs I'm voting off, heck, I even liked Zombie Zoo, it a fun record.

4. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

I missed the first round and Zombie ZOO already gone?!

5. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

The Apartment Song
    Alright for Now

DQ: I heard it in 2010, and it was the first Tom Petty album I ever heard. It's one of my favorite Petty albums.

6. Joey Self

DQ: I got it within a year of its release. My initial impression was that it was very good. I could tell it wasn't exactly a Heartbreakers album, but not anything radically different, since the songwriter, lead vocalist and guitar players were the same. I also thought it an improvement from LET ME UP and SOUTHERN ACCENTS.

JcS

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

As far as comparing it to earlier Petty albums, I think Damn the Torpedoes is better and the debut is a close call.

8. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

dq: Got it in 1989, liked it well and it's still the only Tom Petty album in my collection.

9. dougb222

dougb222 Forum Resident

Voted to drop Alright For Now and A Face in the Crowd

DQ: I guess I bought it in the early '90s -- my first Petty disc of many. After becoming familiar with it from start to finish, it routinely was put on random play in the cd changer along with Cloud 9, Mystery Girl & Armchair Theatre, for a veritable virtual WilburyFest.

10. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Depending and Apartment to go.

Surprised that Alright looks like its on the way out.

I was a big Tom Petty fan growing up so I got this album upon release and loved it immediately. Played the hell out of it for a couple years.

11. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

Bought it, and played it to bits when it first came out. Great album, and maybe his first without a duff track - it is short, and flows.

Can't believe that Zombie Zoo has gone, some great lines it!

As the album flows so well, I've simply kept the flow and lost Apartment Song and Alright For Now, but like both.

The album was a perfect length and perfect with all the songs, as intended!:D:whistle:

12. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

DQ: I thought it was an album of two halves. The first half (up to and including Feel a Whole Lot Better) is fabulous. Then it just falls off a cliff. I still think that.

mrjinks likes this.
  13. Yer So Bad
    The Apartment Song

Best Wishes,
    David

14. Joey Self

And much like we did in 2007, we are chopping it off from the end, at least for now.

JcS

15. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

The last two tracks.

Had it since it came out, though I don't think it's Petty at his best. Damn The Torpedoes is far better, and I prefer Hard Promises, Southern Accents and Wildflowers too. Side 1 much better.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I wanna fight anyone who chooses to get rid of "alright for now". such a beautiful song.

17. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Last 2 tracks. Like both, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.