The Ahhs in A Day in the Life-Poll*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by adm62, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

This appears to really be Paul, I kind of prefer the fake Paul version, this is very loose.

2. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Yeah, that one is Paul.

3. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

DITTO!

4. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

People do realize that John only had the verses written for ADITL, and Paul wrote the bridge alone, and he and John together stitched the two sections together with the "I'd love to turn you on" build-up? Right?

To me, this co-written section makes it obvious that John is singing the "I'd love to turn you on" line while Paul does the "Ahhhh" vocal. They divided and conquered because they wrote that section together. Also, totally sounds like Paul.

nikh33, schnitzerphilip and Drifter like this.
  5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

What is that from, Twickenham?

6. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Well it's three to one in favor of John

It's certainly John , but people hear what they want to hear. But as I said before Paul is probably in the background ,perhaps that confuses some people

7. Gorgon

Gorgon Forum Resident

it's McCartney....

nikh33 and Drifter like this.
  8. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I didn't realize this was ever even a debate... I've always just thought John. I'll listen again tonight after the Dodger game though (and once again fail to arrive to work early as planned!).

9. Saganomics

Saganomics Billions (and billions)

I assumed John for a lot of years, was told to listen closer, did, changed my mind. Then when the multitrack leaked, I said "there's no way these John traditionalists can argue now! Not only is it obviously McCartney just by hearing the voice alone, listen to those ooo's in the background in Lennon's raspy falsetto! Sounds exactly like the last line of In My Life! Then the ridiculously obvious punch in where it switches back to Lennon! Don't even need to use the who-wrote-what-section argument anymore. Check and mate!"

It all seemed so clear to me. Finally, I had real evidence. So I turn around to face my wife, and she says "I still think it's John." :doh:

At least she finally heard the third harmony on the last lines of Baby's in Black recently. There's hope.

10. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

The only place I hear any extra harmonies on "Baby's In Black" are on the two "Oh How Long Will It Take..." sections. When it comes to George joining in to add a third harmony part on the last line, better examples would be "There's A Place" and "Wait."

11. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I completely disagree with the first part of the above sentence, but heartily agree with the second.

I'm really surprised a majority of people here think it's John. It's certainly Paul's voice. I can't prove it, but it's clear to me. I was surprised to find out on this forum that there's people who think otherwise.

nikh33, graystoke, Saganomics and 5 others like this.
  12. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Still waiting for it.

nikh33 likes this.
  13. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I'm the exact opposite - guess in the absence of scientific proof or some word from Paul we'll have to agree to disagree. I think it's both but John's is the dominant "aaahhh" with Paul echoing or in the background.

Seltarb likes this.
  14. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Pretty sure it was during the Let It Be Sessions, should be when they moved to the Apple Studios because you can hear Billy on organ.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  15. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I think you're right.

16. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I think I've assumed it was John but when consciously listening it sounds more like Paul

nikh33, Drifter and muffmasterh like this.
  17. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Did anyone ask paul yet?

18. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

The Lovely Rita connection is the key to the riddle. :uhhuh:

905, forthlin and Kermit27 like this.
  19. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

20. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

If there was ONE question that I could ask Paul, then this would be it.

MsMaclen likes this.
  21. Saganomics

Saganomics Billions (and billions)

It's there, above Paul. Most obvious on the word Black, singing an F#.

22. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Meddle likes this.
  23. Onder

Onder Senior Member

He might not be the right person to ask.
    In 1970 interview he claimed that he didn't sing on Come Together that John sang the harmony vocal himself. Not true of course.
    And that was mere year after the fact.

Ondra

24. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

It's too bad the heaps of echo couldn't be removed from the vocal, it would make it more obvious that it's Paul. It also helps to listen to the previous line ("I went into a dream") where Paul can be heard drawing a quick deep breath between "dream" and the ahhs.

Onder likes this.
  25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

And there's the whole "we didn't jam with Elvis" story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.