Any fans of "The Voice?"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Nostaljack, May 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

That's fine, I'm very confident and comfortable with my opinions. Yes, Lucy and I married on March 20; this is a great year, I'm very happy.

Monosterio likes this.
  2. Lonson

And I just want to add I'm a hard sell on pop vocalists. I'm generally not a pop listener. I don't ever listen to the radio, stopped in the 'eighties. I've been collecting jazz, classical and Brazilian music for decades, and listen to some classic rock and a smattering of new rock, R&B, soul, and thanks (!) to my wife country. But I'm picky about new vocalists--I don't go in for melismatic singing and vocal gymnastics, I love melody and sincerity, emotional communication and directness. My favorite vocalists are stylists that are part of the music, and as Adam mentioned last night, I think many great singers are also instrument players, and that mirrors many of my favorites (Louis Armstrong, Jack Teagarden, Fats Waller, Jimi Hendrix, Tom Jobim, Joao Gilberto, Ed Motta, many more.) I know my tastes aren't those of many other viewers of the show, and I probably would not watch this show at all alone, but it's fun to watch with someone who enjoys it more than I do.

alfajim likes this.
  3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I like this show. If you go in knowing you will probably never hear from any of the finalists again after the show you can just enjoy the competitiveness and hearing some different interpretations of songs.

Monosterio likes this.
  4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Holy cow, America came through with Shalyah Fearing! My faith in this country is restored!

I love that all the following moved forward: Shalyah, Laith and Owen (my ideal three from Adam's team, btw); Alisan and Bryan (Christina's team); Adam and Paxton (Blake's team); and, well, Pharrell's team doesn't do a whole lot for me this season. I like Hannah but thought she was in way over her head last night. As I said before, she'll probably go far on likability, though. Emily's good. Don't know if I'm crazy about her, but I do like her.

5. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

I am pretty much in agreement with your picks too. It was a toss up with Owen or Caroline for Adam, but Caroline is young enough to come back in future. Christina really surprised me with Bryan over Tamar but she let the cat out of the bag with her comment about what America likes, so to me it meant he was next high in votes? And Blake really confused me with his pick of Paxton over Katie she just fits country better maybe he is hoping to move out to more main stream or figures next round will leave just Adam and Mary Sarah? For Pharrell I am good with Hannah she was my number one pick then Daniel and last Lacy, but Emily does fit also.
    I am waiting for the surprise put on us by the voters and dump either Alisan or Shalyah next fickle voters.

Jim

6. Lonson

Glad Emily made it, she's an eerie talent and she is from a town just fifty miles or so away from me. Glad Laith is there still, sad Tamar is gone. Wish Katie had stayed. The others make sense "likability" wise but they don't really float my boat.

7. Monosterio

If there were any singers I was sorry to see go, they were on Christina's team. Can't say I agree with America about Nick -- I would much rather Kata or Tamar had gone through -- but I think Christina was right to save Bryan.

8. Monosterio

Wow. Emily Keener was riveting on the Jeff Buckley song "Lilac Wine," which I'd never heard before. Best of the night -- at least until Shalyah took the stage. :)

Lonson likes this.
  9. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

That was my feeling also. I also felt Alisan was her on top self but not as wow as her other performances with that song choice, I think that choice will hurt her some. I also really liked Mary Sarah and Hannah's choices of country type songs.
    On the guy side only Laith and Adam stood out with Owen coming in third not at all impressed with the other four guys maybe Nick.
    We'll see tomorrow night.

Jim

10. Lonson

Emily and Laith are still the only two who intrigue me. Hannah's version of soul is so karaoke to me. Mary Sarah is so cute. . . but that's about it. Just don't like Curly Sue. Shalyah has a lot going on but there's just no meat to the bones for me, she's so young, there's no age and gravitas behind it. Don't see what the judges see in Adam or Owen. I don't dig the "falsetto stylings" of most of the other guys. I feel like a grumpy old man, but this season isn't as interesting to me as last season was.

How many go home tonight? Hard to say who "America" will prefer the most.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    zebop likes this.
  11. Monosterio

I think only one goes home tonight. My guess is Paxton, though not because he was worse than some others.

12. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

My GF loves it. Doesn't spin my wheels.

13. Monosterio

Unbelievable. :shake:

I guess America just didn't like Emily -- or Owen, for that matter. Both were coach's saves last week, so who knows -- they could have been among the least popular in the round of 24. Regardless, no way Emily deserved to go (or even be in the bottom two) after last night.

14. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

Unbelievable to me also, Emily didn't deserve to go as you said after last night. I feel the same as Lonson on the male falsetto thing much prefer a real sounding voice, tenors are fine but this trying to sound more like a female doesn't do any thing for me. I like Laith a lot and Adam too. Was glad to see Mary Sarah and Hannah move on and Alisan was a sure thing IMO.:shrug:Shalyah deserved to move on, her previous performances were better than last night but still good.
    Emily's song choice was good just not delivered well to much ad lib with voice gymnastics and Owen just wasn't as good as last night so toss up there Emily better IMO:shrug:

15. Lonson

Sad to see Emily go, she was the one I was most interested in this season as she's so young for the mature talent she exhibits. Have to say a lot of my "passion" for watching the show was just voted off, but I'm actually happily surprised she made it about three episodes longer than I thought she would.

16. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I really like Emily and Owen, but I wasn't shocked to see them both in the bottom two. I'd guess most Voice watchers aren't huge fans of folky type music, so I think they both suffered in that regard.

17. Monosterio

I still find it hard to believe that viewers -- even those who might not have voted for Emily before -- failed to respond to her Monday performance. Put it this way: Last week, if Pharrell hadn't saved Emily, you wouldn't have heard a peep from me. This week, though, Emily was just about the last contestant I would have booted. (On the other hand, she wasn't all that great last night. :shrug:)

18. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

So what is every ones thoughts on the outcome of this weeks voter picks? Myself I would rather have seen Nick go just not into his style of singing. I like Owen he is not powerful but is a good folk style singer unfortunately America isn't into folk stuff any more just this hip hop three note vocal gymnastics style, ugh. Just me.

Jim

19. Monosterio

Me too. I think Nick's son is the secret to his success on the show.

20. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Some of these kids are better than the judges. :)

21. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Alisan's version of Blue Bayou blew my mind. I'm a big fan and I hope she wins.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  22. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I'm late to comment on this but when this happened I looked at my wife and said it's rigged. No way Pharrell honestly thought Emily was the one to save. Of course Adam used his steal to grab Shalyah, in fact Adam telegraphed it before it happened. I believe this was the producers stepping in to create drama.

23. alfajim

alfajim Forum Resident

I read last year that the show is actually rigged and the network will override the voters and sometimes the coaches choice. Jordan was just so far above everyone last year there was now way he wouldn't win. He is the first winner to acually go someware after the show with recording and picked up Davis Foster as a mentor and producer. He has more big name stars than any producer of modern times, lately miss Jackie Evancho youngest performer to receive a platinum record in music history at 10 yrs old in less than three weeks from release.

24. phish

phish Jack Your Body

The first three people they announced had made it through were the only three people I didn't give any votes to. I didn't give Alison any, because I think she will win the show without any votes from me.

25. Lonson

What I personally see this as is Pharrell being loyal to his contestants. He wants them to stay on the show. Twice I have seen him keep someone because he knew another judge would steal the one that he lets go, and not vice versa. In this manner his people have another shot at staying into the individual voting rounds and show their stuff. It's his way out of the "difficult decision, who should go."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.