Streaming to an iPhone, what can I expect?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by husafreak, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. husafreak

husafreak Great F'n music that's difficult to listen to! Thread Starter

I have an iPhone 6s and would like to start streaming audio. I read up on the different systems and think I'll start with Tidal, I think they have a free trial period. I have a high res DAP and IEM's that do not stream music that I use quite a lot so the streaming would be mostly to discover new music or while running around doing stuff or exercising.
    Will I need to upgrade my data plan (Verizon) to compensate for the streaming (non wifi)? Especially if I use the lossless version of Tidal. That is a lot of data. And do you guys think the iPhone 6s has a good enough DAC to even mess with lossless? I imagine the difference would be worth it for listening at home or on the road to a nice stereo with a dedicated server but maybe not with a cellphone. Thanks

2. Got Hi-Fi?

Got Hi-Fi? Member

I use my iPad to stream Tidal hi-fi to my stereo. The DAC is plenty good enough, I would imagine the same one that is in your iphone. I will do this until I can find a decent streamer that has Tidal capabilities built in. And yes, if you are streaming Tidal Hi-Fi on data, you will need lots of it ... depending on how often you listen to music. I know I would need unlimited if I were gonna do that lol

husafreak likes this.
  3. Peter Baird

Peter Baird Well-Known Member

Tidal is the best quality, but to be honest unless you're doing carefully listening, I'm not sure the difference between Tidal, Spotify and Apple Music over the iPhone's DAC is really that big of a difference. And even more limiting than the DAC is the headphone port on an iPhone.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Dan C likes this.
  4. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

5. husafreak

Thanks for the link!

6. husafreak

Oh I have no idea what they are talking about in that link! Maybe I'll try to grok it again tomorrow, too tired now.

7. husafreak

I'll also check and see how much an unlimited data plan costs tomorrow too.

8. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yes, you'll need a bigger data plan, yes the iPhone 6 DAC is fine for streaming. Lossless very much included.

husafreak likes this.
  9. husafreak

Short and sweet, perfect!

Brother_Rael likes this.
  10. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Thanks!

One thing to bear in mind is that the mobile providers will cane your hide if you exceed the data plan limit. I've been on unlimited with 3 in the UK for years and my current sim only deal is now a rolling month contract that's been on the go since 2011; the company doesn't offer it anymore! Anytime they ask if I want a better deal I suggest they might want to look at how much I pay a month and that usually kills the sales call there and then. So check the prices and go with what you can. Maybe understand how much data you use already and see what streaming will likely cost before you take the plunge. I use Spotify Premium and listen to the radio but it's usually less that 4Gb a month.

The other thing to bear in mind is that a lot of crap's written about the standard of audio on phones by disdaining audiophiles that don't know better.

I've been using a phone or a portable for years and haven't had a duffer yet. Headphones vary, which will be the biggest arbiter of sound quality, but you have to go some distance to get a really bad player these days. Most DACs are well implemented and people demand good quality for their money as so many use their phones for music.

So far, I've used two three iPods of different types, a Nokia E55 and an E52, a Sony Ericsson D750i and these days I'm using a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact and a 5th Gen Touch. They've all been excellent and this is going back a decade now.

11. ChuckyBuck

ChuckyBuck Forum Resident

If you get carried away you can stream from the iPhone to an Airport Express. These devices communicate losslessly over Airplay and the Airport Express allows you to connect via optical to the DAC of your choice. Like I said, if you get carried away. I have a setup like this and it mystifies my wife.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.