Sinatra - I thought about you - alternate version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by roda12, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER Thread Starter

Hi there,
    can anybody tell me if the Sinatra recording of "I thought about you" with the different arrangement that was found on the "From the vaults" bootleg was ever released on an official CD? Did this version come from the Swingin Lovers sessions? Does anybody know why it didn't make the album? Thanks.

2. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

This version of "I Thought About You" was recorded June 30, 1955, which was six months before the sessions which produced Songs for Swingin' Lovers in January 1956. It was the only song known to have been mastered from that date, although Nelson Riddle was paid also for two other arrangements ("Memories of You" and "We'll Be Together Again"). Apparently, the session was scrapped by Sinatra.

This track may have been an early trial for what eventually became part of SFSL, but perhaps Frank was dissatisfied with the non-strings chart, and he sent Nelson back to the drawing board? (Will Friedwald's book devotes a full paragraph to a comparison with the released version, on page 232.)

I believe the recording has appeared only on bootleg CDs. It certainly has not been released officially.

roda12 and paulmock like this.
  3. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER Thread Starter

Thanks Bob. Always appreciate your knowledge! Certainly a nice recording. And totally different to the released version. Very interesting to hear about the other two arrangements. Might have been different arrangements,too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.