RCA phono lead question....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frimleygreener, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is" Thread Starter

Are they terminated to a set length for a purpose? I would love to mount my turntable on a shelf,away from the rest of my equipment,but the leads on my turntable would mean the amp would still have to be in close proximity,defeating the object of the exercise. Can you get "extensions" that do not compromise the sound,and would such an extension provide a ground lead to the table?

2. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

No . Phono cables are sold in 1/2 meter to 1 meter lengths i presume as an aid to pricing.
    On a practical level there are a few matters to consider.
    Capitance of cable. This is specified in pf/meter and loads the phono cartridge, therefore must be considered .say for example you have 1 meter of cable on your turntable at 150pf. And the loading on your cartridge is 100 - 200 all is well .
    But .....if as i understand you wish to relocate your turntable away from amp then you will need an extension.
    This is going to be a problem as you are adding unwanted capitance
    Capitance affects sound quality. The solution is to transfer phono stage with turntable. The lead from phono stage to amp being less of a problem.
    Of course this assumes that you use an optional phono stage, if you use a built in phono stage with pre amp then this cannot be a solution.
    Therefore to move turntable you will need to consider. A seperate phono stage.

Paul H likes this.
  3. frimleygreener

The things you post without a proper thought process! I do have a Slee phono stage....and siting that on the shelf would be no problem...Am I given to understand that the leads from the pre-amp to to the amp will not be affected by length,and all I will need will be a pair of quality interconnects? I have a matched pair of 2 meter Chords at hand,and that length will easily serve to do what I intend,but will it present any sonic problems?
    p.s thanks for giving an old b*****s brainbox a much needed kick:)

4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

No. They'll be fine. You do get issues with capacitance and induction over very long runs, but a 2m RCA will make no difference whatsoever.

Paul H likes this.
  5. frimleygreener

Thanks! All that's left is to agonise over is where to put that goddam shelf:)

Brother_Rael likes this.
  6. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

7. frimleygreener

A good read that:)

8. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

So glad i was able to help along with the other members.
    Might even sound better as position of turntable can make a difference
    I have been informed thst alcoves and corners are taboo for turntables .
    I paid £12 on ebay for capitance meter. Best investment i have made.

9. Captain Wiggette

Captain Wiggette Forum Resident

Put the phono preamp near the table, and then run live level RCAs from there. Low capacitance and good shielding are important if you're going far or are in a noisy environment. Belden & Canare is always best. But people do whatever they want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.