Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

About "Black Sweat": it's interesting too that it did so poorly on the R&B chart. I think by 2006 Prince's most likely radio support would have been at R&B/urban stations, particularly with a track like "Black Sweat". Setting aside the age issue, I think the song was current and on-trend enough to sit nicely on R&B playlists. But it peaked at No. 82 (and previously, "Te Amo Corazon" had topped out at No. 67). Prince's last Top 40 R&B hit was @Nostaljack's favourite, "Call My Name" (No. 27 in 2004), and his last Top 10 hit was "Betcha By Golly, Wow" (No. 10 on the airplay chart, in 1996).

2. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Also, it's interesting (maybe) that although "Te Amo Corazon" and "Black Sweat" had no radio support in late 2005/early '06, the 3121 album still debuted at No. 1 when it followed "Black Sweat" about two months later (in April). And by 2006, Prince was by no means a certainty to debut at No. 1. He actually hadn't topped the album chart since Batman in 1989. So at the very least, "Te Amo" and "Black Sweat" did prime his fanbase to rush out and buy the album.

sunspot42, Nostaljack and JohnnyQuest like this.
  3. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

LOL!! Oh yeah, it was the most...to say the...I can't even make jokes. The song is booty! LOL! I can almost imagine him sitting in the studio at Paisley Park going, "Let's see...they already know I can be funky. Let's see if I can be more boring than a mauve pillowcase. Y'all in?"

...and so it went...

"Betcha By Golly Wow" is awesome, though I do think the repeatedly whispered, "wow, wow, wow" thing was a bit much. He kills it otherwise. Great cover!

Ed

Thom likes this.
  4. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

My brother bought it too. He was a full blown Hip-Hop head at the time so you wouldn't expect Prince to be on his radar. I will ask him tomorrow what prompted him to purchase "3121" and his thoughts on the album. :)

Thom likes this.
  5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I don't think it was a good enough song to be a big hit. That hermetic closet mix just flattens out any groove and it's not really danceable (apart from maybe doing 80s robotic, Jacko type moves). He obviously had "Kiss" in mind when doing this.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    ippudo and Thom like this.
  6. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Now it's being reported that although Prince had opioid pain medications on his person and in his home, he had no prescription for them.

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't like it.

8. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Why not?

9. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

"Call My Name" has a very phoned-in quality; it's sort of a slow jam by numbers, that at certain points seems like a parody.
    His "Betcha By Golly" is very nice (except for most of the vocal embellishments, like the 'wow, wow, wow's), but not even Prince can top Russell Thompkins Jr or Thom Bell's work on that one.

Nostaljack and Grant like this.
  10. Grant

This was reported two days ago.

11. Grant

First, it sounds gimmicky. The majority of the songs are slow ballads.

12. Nostaljack

"Don't you let 'em tell you otherwise"....LOL!!!

Ed

Thom likes this.
  13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Hard to understand why his doctor wasn't following him more closely. mind you, that didn't help Michael Jackson.:shake:

keyXVII and sunspot42 like this.
  14. Grant

Sounds like typical mid-80s R&B. I wouldn't have bought it.:sigh: Prince added some life to it.

sunspot42 and OldSoul like this.
  15. Grant

My bad! I am tired, just got off work, and I read 1996 for some reason. I probably had it on the brain.

Kindly dismiss my reply.

16. philly67

philly67 Forum Resident

Prince sound checking Summertime...enjoy

sunspot42, Malina, Dflow and 7 others like this.
  17. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Yeah, and to confuse matters, "EMI", in America, was not "EMI-America".

18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Although I just woke up, when I went to bed, the extremely carefully worded report on CNN was that there was currently no evidence that he did have a prescription. It'll probably all be a wash in the end, but that's different from ruling out that he did have one. Maybe he had a shrink in Beverly Hills....

19. Nostaljack

True. It was EMI-America, then EMI-USA, then just EMI - all of which were subsidiaries of Capitol Industries-EMI, Inc. AAAHHHHH!!!!

Ed

20. Nostaljack

You know the one...Dr. Everything'll Be Alright?

Ed

21. elfary

elfary Forum Resident

Now that the man is gone i seem to be appreciating more his last efforts (Art Official Age and HITnRUN Phase 2 specifically).

Obviously, the moment you take something for granted the moment your ability to enjoy it gets wrecked.

And i took Prince for granted. As the moon or the stars i kind of thought that he would be around forever pouring out the music he was.

22. dead of night

However, there is evidence he was at Walgreens pharmacy', 4 times was it? I wonder which prescriptions he was picking up.

Will the DEA release this information?

23. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I thought that authorities in the past few days had confirmed that prescribed drugs of an opioid nature had been found on his person when EMS and police arrived on the scene. (I believe that the drug percocet has been mentioned in some news reports and that Prince had multiple simultaneous prescriptions of it.) However, the autopsy results of what drugs were in his body at the point of death have not been released.

24. dead of night

No, they were not prescribed.

Cubbiegirl likes this.
  25. ABC TV Australia's "rage" program is doing their Prince tribute this Saturday night. Unlike anything I've seen in their playlist before, this will be Prince from 11:30pm until 6:00am and then an hour of Prince related songs, as well as an hour's worth on Saturday morning from about 10:25am which features some songs that are not on Saturday night.

Playlist: rage ยป

When David Bowie passed away, "rage" played a tribute featuring almost everything in existence by him, but I've never seen any one "rage" special or tribute go for as many hours as this one does.