Quadio Chicago BluRay Box Set announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Apr 28, 2016.

1. videoman

videoman Senior Member

But what would have been the point? Some crappy packaging and cramming them all onto a couple of disc just to save a few bucks? Blank discs aren't that expensive. Royalty rates are still the same I think.

And don't fans want a nice packaged set? This one is promising reproductions of the posters and even the iron-on sticker!

Can you imagine the complaints if it was just some shoddy packaging and all on 2 or 3 discs? Might as well just sell them as digital downloads in that case.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Well said.

3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I will certainly be getting this one. I hope there are more such collections to follow.

4. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

I'm in the same place you are. A blu-ray for every album almost has the feel of the singles collections on CD for the Stones (the later one) or The Clash. Although one album per blu-ray is very different, and I think it's more than fine they do it this way for the packaging & respecting the album format. And if there's that Japanese attention to detail in packaging aspect all the more power to the release.

Chicago IX (greatest hits) was the 2nd album given to me (unsolicited) at Xmas as a kid, and so to this day I appreciate as one of the finest greatest hits packages with no filler. Some of the latter albums in this collection I'm not sure about and barely know (Beyond the 1st 2 I had the chocolate covered one on 8 track and really liked XI on LP which isn't included) but I am thrilled to see a set released on blu-ray like this. Terrific news and very happy for Chicago's serious fans!

AudiophilePhil, fredblue and videoman like this.
  5. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:thumbsup:

....and my copy of the U.S. quad pressing
    [​IMG]

6. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I would love to see the album replications in this set get the FULL JAPANESE-STYLE attention to exacting detail (like the Beatles Mono CD box/cube), but unless our friends over in the Land of the Rising Sun are handling the packaging for this set, I will instead expect to see something on the more flimsy/chintzy side of the coin (note: I hope to be very pleased and proven to be wrong regarding my pessimistic thinking.)

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Since all these albums were released during the time when tape formulation was instable, there may be a chance they need at least some baking before playing, even if the tapes weren't played in 40 years.
    But remember not all tapes were affected by this. Quad tapes might be a different and safe formulation. Sometimes Quad mixes were saved to 6 or 8 tracks tape. In the early 70s, stereo tapes were more likely affected. By the late 70s, early 80s, it might be multitracks.
    The real problems come when a tape is instable and played without baking first. Guaranteed oxyde loss or worse.

Today we know how this stuff is done. Quality loss is minimal unless the tape was incorrectly baked or played multiple times.

fredblue and Simon A like this.
  8. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Any engineer worth his or her salt knows about tape baking these days. They know better and have for well over a decade. Unstable tape is elementary nowadays. Ampex 456 has and will always need baking before you play it. Once baked, it can be transferred with little trouble. In fact, if you need to transfer it again, you can bake it again. I have reels that I've baked 7 times that still sound incredible.

Ed

9. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

I'll be pre ordering on Bullmoose today.
    I'm going to have to run and snake new cables for the rear speakers this weekend but it will be worth it just to hear the first two in quad.
    I must admit,when listening to these when they first came out,I might have been baked a few times myself.

10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Now THIS is a box set that I can get behind … Let's pray for great mastering and properly dubbed QUAD quality!

11. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

something that just dawned on me, the DVD-A of II and V had 5.1 remixes which this set does not, using the original quad mixes.
    So, those 5.1 mixes will be only on those discs from what I understand...and might I say, the remixes of both of those albums are outstanding.

12. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Downloads would be awesome. All I care about is the music.

13. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Regarding the 5.1 mixes ..., The DVD-A of II was a very nicely done surround mix and the DVD-A of V was so good, that it actually made me a fan of that album, when I had always passed that one up before! I literally had my RHINO QUAD disc of the first Chicago album, sitting on the top of a pile of "surround" discs, that I wanted to play, but I will now file it away and await this new box set!

Simon A and lennonfan1 like this.
  14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Generally quad mixes were printed to 1/2" 4-track tape.

Tape width isn't a factor, other than how long the reels need to be baked for. That is, the same tape stocks came in different widths, so a 1/4" stereo master and a 2" multitrack could both be affected.

But I can't imagine tape condition was an issue. Presumably the tapes have barely been played, and baking tapes (if necessary) is common. I would assume the quad masters were in as good or better condition than the stereo masters, which have surely been played more over the years.

John Bliss, Gardo, fredblue and 4 others like this.
  15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, frankly I imagine the condition of the tapes is fine.

fredblue, Simon A, Myke and 1 other person like this.
  16. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

This is a fantastic looking set. I don't own anything , except the Greatest Hits. I'm going to purchase this.

AudiophilePhil, Simon A and Myke like this.
  17. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I think that the Rhino remix (which contained min-versions of all of the packaging elements as well as a bonus disc of material from the week of performances) was miles ahead of any previous version I have heard. Not that I wouldn't welcome another kick at the can... ;)

John Bliss likes this.
  18. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Boy, do I feel stupid. They are 5.1...not 4.0...so no duplication there, therefore no need to sell them. The Quadio DVD of CTA obviously isn't a duplicate either, since it's " sister " will be a Blu ray disc !
    Thanks for saying this out loud !

19. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

All I know is that back in the day, it was fairly common practice to get half-baked before listening to these albums... or so I've been told... ;)

20. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Depending on the artist, some fans would be more likely to get double-baked before listening. :shrug:

full moon and gregorya like this.
  21. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Let's hope the mastering guys are not too baked during the process. :p

Chris C, gregorya and full moon like this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

As others have noted, most of these tapes probably haven't been touched since the mid '70s. Assuming they were professionally stored, they should be fine (possible sticky shed issues notwithstanding).

I presume these tapes didn't go up in flames during the fire that supposedly destroyed a lot of Chicago archival material.

John Bliss likes this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't think any tapes were affected. The control room at Caribou was destroyed, not where tapes were stored.

24. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

"Let's hope the mastering guys are not too baked during the process"!!!!!!....Great point Steel Horse....The Chicago/Rhino team of Jeff Magid (Audio supervision), David Donnelly (Remastering) and Lee Loughnane, David Mclees
    & Gary Peterson (Project Supervision) have already done the stereo remasters and they were not well received to say the least....Here's hoping a different approach is taken on these HiRez Blu-Ray releases.
    Here's thinking positive that they get it right this time.

rd1 and Gardo like this.
  25. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

The first question that comes to my mind is:

How good was the mastering of the DVD-V of Chicago Transit Authority? Maybe Rhino was already thinking of releasing the others and so they may decide to use those unreleased masterings for this set. Just ramblin' out loud here.