Margo Price debut LP 'Midwest Farmer's Daughter" for Loretta Lynn fans on Third Man (03/25/2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Mar 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I saw her performance last night on SNL as well. I heard of her due to the press TMR is doing but had no idea what she sounded like. When I heard her name last night, I thought, I heard that name before. It was like someone plucked her out of the past and plonked her down into 2016. I enjoyed her performance. I'll be checking out her record.

lightbulb likes this.
  2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

As of this moment, the CD is temporarily out of stock on amazon.

3. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Margo performed an album release show at Third Man Records here in Nashville last night before a crowd of approx. 300. Fun show, she sounded great and has an excellent band. Played almost all of the album IIRC. The show was recorded so it will most likely be released eventually as a live album or as one of the TMR Vault packages.

4. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

She's amazing, highly recommend the vinyl. My good friend and Grimey's Music own Luke Schneider plays pedal steel/dobro on the album and tours with her:cool:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Stone Turntable and fsutall like this.
  5. djej

djej Forum Resident

Did they have any of the colored vinyl of her album there for sale last night?

6. ghostnotes

ghostnotes Wish you were here.

Great debut by a great talent. Old school heads need to be excited about this one.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  7. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I was hip'd to her on SNL last week as well - great songs - great performance. I'm not as down on modern country as many but I really prefer Margo Price's return to a more classic style. I liken her to what Dwight Yoakam did in the '80's and '90's.

lightbulb likes this.
  8. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Luke was amazing the other night! The entire band is very talented but he really stood out. I've talked with him at Grimey's, he seems like a good guy.

9. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

They were selling vinyl and posters but I didn't look close enough to see if it was the colored vinyl. I was able to get one on the release date.

10. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

Definitely a great album. It's autobiographical in places which lends and authenticity that is sadly lacking from many modern country albums.

This and Dori Freeman are contenders for my country album of the year so far.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

She was pretty good on SNL. I'd never heard of her before, but I'll remember her name now.

12. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

OMG, this is reminiscent of Chris Stapleton's Traveller. It'll be considered a sell out once it's nominated for a Grammy and she performs on the show.

13. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Strictly on the basis of the SNL performance, I'm not quite ready to crown MP as the new Loretta Lynn (especially on the heels of a great new album by the queen herself) — but I'm definitely persuadable & will check out the album.

BTW, did anyone else think the steel was way too low in the mix on SNL, especially during the first song?

14. djej

djej Forum Resident

If anyone is still looking for the colored variant of the album (Wildflower pink/purple), it looks like Rough Trade (UK) now has some available for purchase on their site. As of a week or two ago, the LP+ (colored version) showed as unavailable. Now, it has a price of 29.99 pounds. **However, if you order from their site, the order will be shipped from the UK and you'll pay the UK prices (and shipping). The US Rough Trade site isn't quite up and running per someone from the store. Also, the US store can't quite yet ship out mail orders, although that's coming by the summer they said.

Direct link: http://www.roughtrade.com/albums/101584

Prices for this version on eBay border on ridiculous ($100+). So far it's only been available in the US either at Waterloo Records via Margo's SXSW in-store performance, where it's since sold out, or through Third Man's Vault Novelties store (in which it sold out almost immediately) where it was $30 plus shipping and also out of stock.

15. cosmicdancer

cosmicdancer Doin' it to you in 3D! So Groovy that I dig me.

The new record is just fantastic! My band had the pleasure of playing with her old band Buffalo Clover here in Knoxville, TN a few years back. They were great and I was immediately struck by her talent. Not surprised in the least that she's blowing up now. Much deserved. Her band actually opened for my band, yet I'm still playing the local bar scene and she's playing SNL. Life can be cruel! Just kidding, again, she deserves the attention she's getting.

Exile On My Street likes this.
  16. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

The show at Eddie's Attic in Atlanta on Sunday night was really good. It was kind of short but good!

17. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

That's very high praise in regard to Dwight Yoakam.....

Marty T likes this.
  18. djej

djej Forum Resident

Turns out they had an issue where the LP+ was reactivated by mistake, so these aren't available from the site.

19. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

20. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Entertaining dead wax on this one.

21. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

????

Some of us only have the CD. Share. :)

22. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Side A: From A Bender To A Binge
    Side B: Hurtin’ For A Squirtin

23. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Wandered into a an awesome record store today for the first time. This record was playing. First song I was like "why they playing this country ****." 2nd song i thought "this is pretty interesting." By the 3rd song I was asking the guy at the counter if this record was for sale. I'm now listening to this at home on the vinyls and it sounds amazing. By the 4th song I started texting my buddies with good musical taste to check it out. Yes it's some kind of memphis/nashville country i know jack about. Yes it is mind-blowing.

24. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Funny how good is good, no matter what genre.

Also, how odd to hear this dub level echo selectively used on this record. I followed this up with Dillard&Clark the other night. I think this records has just a touch of soul and psych in the mix. Not much, but just a bit.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  25. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Picked this up today on a whim. Damn, what a record! This sounds terrific, something like debut of the year or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.