Gary Moore

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rck60s, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Mostly blues period stuff sad to say (since I am not a fan of that GM era). Should be a must have for Gary blues fans though.

2. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

If you have the time, listen to this....

JG

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I dug out Blues Alive for first time in years the other day and played it the car today. Simply awesome guitar playing (and vocals!).

Comet01 likes this.
  4. Literally?

5. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

For me, live with Skid Row was the best Gary. A great live band. The recordings don't do them justice.

6. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

He's one of my favorites, yep, yes he was.

This is a good recommendation.....

7. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

From his great cd package, Essential Montreux [5 CD Box Set Special Ed.] Box set, Special Edition

8. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

He played a strat too, here's proof from 1987. :)

Can't get much better than this.

george2210, Comet01 and Purple Jim like this.
  9. serj

serj Forum Resident

Can anyone comment on the sound of the 2016 year SHM CD's? Are they the same old horrible remasters? Or have a new, better mastering?

10. James Glennon

Here's another great one from Gary playing on Cozy Powell's solo album....

JG

vamborules likes this.
  11. James Glennon

And another one from the same album...

JG

12. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I don't think he played a Strat prior to concentrating on the blues. For most of the 80's/90's (pre the blues stuff), he was playing Charvel, Hamer and PRS's

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

He was playing strats way before his blues phase. For instance a friend of mine saw him with Thin Lizzy in 1978 and Gary was using a Les Paul and a Strat for that show.

Just look at live or various album shots from early in his career, you'll see plenty of shots of him with stratocasters. I even saw him do a show in the height of his "metal" days in the '80's where IIRC he used a white strat all night.

Corridors of Power (1982)
    [​IMG]

Live In Japan - (from 1983 tour)
    [​IMG]

The Lord of the Strings Gary Moore fan website even has a page on him and his guitars, and according to the link below on the page about Fenders Gary himself said this:

Guitars - Fender | The Lord Of The Strings - World Wide Gary Moore Fanclub »

"I've been using the Stratocaster off and on for about seven years, since I was with Colosseum II." (Gary Moore - Guitarist Magazine, Vol.1/No.8 January 1985)"

Note that his first record with CII was in 1976.

Oh, wow, that page even has a photo of him with that white guitar I saw in the 80's and this quote!! Cool.

"On the whole of the American tour I used a white Strat which I bought in a shop in L.A. for $600 off the rack. It's a '62 reissue. What happened was that my salmon pink one was stolen just before the tour, some guy in the customs here tried to nick it and then it turned up again because he found out whose guitar it was and it turned up in Houston at Interpol. I got it back halfway through the tour but by this time I'd got the white one and got used to it and I don't like changing guitars halfway through a tour." (Gary Moore - Guitarist Magazine, Vol.1/No.8 January 1985)

[​IMG]

And this shot, which looks like really early daze....

[​IMG]

Most of the shots I've seen of him in the blues phase with were Les Pauls btw as opposed to Strats. It's not like he switched to Strats for the blues and did not play them before that. I think if anything he played them less rather than more by that point (I'm not sure). Although I believe that for his Hendrix show in 2007 he was playing a strat all night.

Larry Mc likes this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

And lest I 4get, his iconic metal-period live album We Want More from 1984, with the strat cover of course,

[​IMG]

15. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

I got into GM a few years ago. I was listening to him non stop for Several months. My overall opinion of him is that he is a great guitarist but I kind of got bored of him as an artist. He is not a great songwriter, the voice is average at best and his music sounds very dated.

16. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

To each his own. That is how I feel about his blues phase (boring songs with great guitar work), but I really love the hard rock/metal stuff both song and playing wise. I do happen to like his singing voice on everything though.

serj and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  17. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Yes.....Your probably right. It was more those Blues ballards that I found rather dated!

slipkid likes this.
  18. Crush Everything

Crush Everything Fictional Antagonist

YES!!! The best version of my favorite Gary tune! Absolutely sublime soloing, dripping with emotion. Also, his best singing IMO.

Frank Field likes this.
  19. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

There is/was a tour film called 'emerald isles' (I have a bad vhs copy) from the We Want Moore era..it's great and hopefully it will come out on DVD or blu ray eventually

dlokazip and Eric Weinraub like this.
  20. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

when he did Red House on the guitar festival, it was one of the best guitar pieces I have ever heard. Love his work with Lizzy also

GuildX700 likes this.
  21. Crush Everything

Crush Everything Fictional Antagonist

I have that on vhs, too. I love the backstage clips of Gary & Phil, especially when Phil laughingly says, "I showed him the sights of Dublin." The performance of Parisienne Walkways on that is just phenomenal!

Frank Field likes this.
  22. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I thought the solo on Empty Rooms was going to melt my brain the first time I heard it!

Mike Campbell likes this.
  23. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

The guy was a good one, could posess real feeling, AND had the chops to back it up, Black Rose is my favorite Thin Lizzy album, and I dig some of his solo stuff too.

davers and Mike Campbell like this.
  24. Eric Weinraub

Sadly, there isn't a lot of work with Lizzy... There is The Black Rose and some odd dates ...

Mike Campbell and Zoot Marimba like this.
  25. Eric Weinraub

The Out in the Fields 2CD Best of is a MUST have just for all the live B-sides which included a couple of duets with Phil L.

slipkid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.