Comcast buys DreamWorks Animation.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DrewHarris, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Comcast has their fingers in too many pots. I wonder if they're heading towards an AOL/Time Warner fall?

3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Wonder where COMCAST got the $$$???

4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

what a mystery to unravel!

5. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Danger, Will Robinson, Danger....

6. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I prefer The Harryhausen Effect to CG anyway. It's grittier.

7. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

And strobier.

Khaki F likes this.
  8. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

As is the case with most "merger and acquisition" type deals, this is likely based on a high degree of "leveraging" - in other words, a lot of borrowed money. These deals most often end up being good only for the high-level corporate executives immediately involved (they walk away with a ton of extra money in bonuses, golden parachutes and compensation increases) and the lawyers and accountants who do the paperwork involved. The losers most often end up being the shareholders and investors of the companies involved as well as the employees who get the shaft when the inevitable cost-cutting ensues. Most often the debt incurred by the purchasing company ends up so high that their new combined business hasn't a chance of being profitable enough to ever be able to pay it, leading to eventual bankruptcy. A good example of this sort of predatory capitalism is what is happening now as a result of the consolidation of the radio business. The investors who lend money to the perpetrators of this sort of garbage are most often fools.

Dubmart and Ghostworld like this.
  9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Not a good sign.

DrewHarris likes this.
  10. The Wanderer

Accurate insightful analysis.

Now, wondering the cash-flow source COMCAST utilized to secure the leveraging required for the acquisition.

11. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

This happened to Sports Authority a billion in debt

12. SixtiesGuy

Yet somewhere out of all the wreckage there are probably a select few executives who walked away with millions.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

No laws against this kind of deal?

14. SixtiesGuy

Over the decades lobbyists have spent millions to ensure that our so-called representatives in government (from both parties) look the other way. I'd better stop now before I stray into the forbidden zone of politics.

Hutch likes this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL. I wonder if they will raise the price of the movies involved? The Comcast brand sucks...

16. Michael

I would guess so with the amount of $10.00 certificates they send around!

17. Michael

from all the price hikes to their subscribers!

18. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

Comcast is a multifaceted company with numerous divisions. They have the namesake cable company, the cable networks, Universal Studios, the NBC/Telemundo and its O&Os, and its theme parks and sports assets. Remember that they were going to buy TWC, a much larger transaction, before DOJ nixed the deal. They're not exactly in dire financial straits. DWA gets a rich uncle and some downside protection from the ups-and-downs of the film business. Disney has done well by Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm; I wouldn't write Comcast off just yet. That said, the rot set in at DWA years ago, and Comcast has a lot of work to do.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  19. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

BTW, Comcast is paying cash for the transaction; they will not be going to the credit markets to pay for it.

20. The Wanderer

COMCAST -
    the result of a monopoly accumulating your money to grow ever larger, at least providing employment in the Philippines

Hutch likes this.
  21. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

At the end of the day, DreamWorks Animation keeps coming off to me as a second rate Pixar. I think that perception started because of the whole scheme to beat Pixar to theaters with Antz- their ripoff version of A Bug's Life. They can muster an okay film now and then, the Shrek films probably being their best... but even those aren't really all that great and they never resonated with me like a lot of the Pixar films did.

I can appreciate that they will be able to continue on, but I'm kind of done with sitting through their films.

22. Mergers. Bleh.

EdgardV likes this.
  23. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

In other words, Comcast has bought out The Lone Ranger, Lassie, etc. as well as "Classic Media" is owned by DreamWorks Animation.

24. Need a list of titles to snap up before OOP happens.

25. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I've always perceived DreamWorks Animation as a worthy adversary of Pixar with the former being raunchier than the latter and more daring in its humour starting the whole new school of building cartoons around parodies on culture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.