Rage Against The Machine self-titled album on stereo SACD by Audio Fidelity mastered by SH coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Claus, Apr 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

2. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

The Lps from 2009 sound amazing but I imagine the original CDs could use a nice remaster even though they may sound pretty good.

3. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I've often said RATM debut needs a 2LP 45rpm but you're right Mike, it would have the same running time issues. 3LP 45rpm works much better:

All sides under 11 mins.

4LP 45rpm gets everything under 10 mins, optimum no-holds-barred sonics.

captainsolo and johnnypaddock like this.
  4. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

The very first American CD of "Reign in Blood" was mastered by Barry Diament. It sounds amazing.

Dynamic Ranger and Plan9 like this.
  5. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

My note on this earlier was asking if AF had ever considered getting into the remixing of multi-tracks to 5.1. While the 4.0s are most welcome and a nice document of the time they are from the same era as the original release.

As we have seen with the Steven Wilson remixes of Tull, Yes, Crimson etc. today's technology really makes a YUGE difference. ;-)

6. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

It does sound great. Roughly 29 minutes are pure sonic joy.

7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Dont think Steve H is a fan of remixing.

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

They will release 5.1 mixes that already exist, but won't commission new remixes. It would be too costly and complicated for them, and the licensing would be hell.

9. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Can't wait to hear Steve's mastering of the best(probably) produced Hard-rock/Rap album ever!

If only the european Amazon could list it, want it preordered now!

bleachershane likes this.
  10. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Fair enough but it doesn't seem to be too difficult for Steven Wilson. Having said that he does say the budgets are pretty small for the remixes and he does it more as fan than anything else. Still those discs sell pretty well from what I understand so there must be *some* economic incentive.

11. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

In my experience, ordering it in the US will often be cheaper (or not more expensive) than ordering it in Europe. Shipping cost from Amazon.com or Importcds.com will be some $7. ImportCDs.com is often cheaper than Amazon, but this release is not listed yet. I never had to pay additional (import) taxes for 1 CD in an envelop to The Netherlands, but maybe that's different for Sweden?

12. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes they all sell very well, but you've got to understand it is not Steven Wilson that actually launches and produces the reissue programs, he is just the hired engineer (although his participation can allow him a credit of producer of the mix he did).
    The motivation comes from the bands and the labels they belong to. They have no license to pay and they fund the remixing themselves to keep a certain control on how their work is presented. If they have no interested in doing that...
    Steven Wilson is also affordable because he works in digital, which for surround remixes is much, much less expensive than going full analog, but I don't know what is AF stance on that.
    I don't think a small independant structure like AF can allow themselves to license a full reissue with multiple mixes, pay for the multitracks transfers, hire a remix engineer, do at least a small amount of advertisement, etc...

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be proven wrong and for AF to start producing new 5.1 remixes. There are sound engineers that mix in 5.1 that could be affordable for them (myself for instance :D ), but they can't do it without interest from the artists and their management.

Robobrewer, duneman, snkcube and 2 others like this.
  13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Sometimes these audiophile releases prompt me to discover new music. For whatever reason, I never bought this Rage Against the Machine album (I bought CDs of Evil Empire and The Battle of Los Angeles years ago). Rather than wait for the SACD, I bought the original CD and the 20th anniversary remaster of the debut album from amazon.com this week. Both discs were cheap. I see why a few people here questioned the wisdom of Audio Fidelity releasing this album on SACD, as the original CD sounds great. Awesome album, by the way.

I haven't listened to the remastered CD yet, but I will soon. Currently, I'm listening to the original CD for the second time this morning. It's that good. If Steve can improve on this CD, then the SACD is going to be a real feat.

14. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

There is room for improvements, the orginal cd is compressed. The SACD will have all the dynamic-range and probably sound more in line with the Vinyl.

dobyblue and George P like this.
  15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks. I haven't heard the LP, but I am impressed with the original CD. The remaster isn't awful either. While I prefer the more balanced and layered sound of the original disc, the loudness on the remaster isn't so bad for this type of music.

crispi likes this.
  16. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

It's different in every country. In mine, I pay both import tax and VAT (20%) on anything above USD 30. On top of that I need to go to the customs and spend about an hour there filling forms an giving explanations. It's quite ridiculous.

17. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Makes sense - I would love for you to be proven wrong as well. I've even day dreamed of starting a label myself for 5.1 remixes as I do have some connections in the field.

Plan9 and bleachershane like this.
  18. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Wow, just hearing about this release now. This is my favorite album, as I've mentioned many times. The original US LP sounds incredibly good. Steve, you must have had some serious fun working with this recording. I look forward to checking it out.

:cheers:

captainsolo, snkcube and Vinyl Addict like this.
  19. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

This will happen, one glorious day in the future... And it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine. Unfortunately, my stereo will then immediately burst into flames due to the awesome power of this beast.

dobyblue, captainsolo and snkcube like this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

That's what I call a Bombtrack!

21. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

johnnypaddock likes this.
  22. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

23. hishou

hishou Forum Resident

why the packaging for AF releases is so ugly, i'll never get....

24. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

The artwork/packaging could have been done a litle bit nicer i think but it's the mastering that counts!

25. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Nice packaging as usual for AF release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.