Any Fans of Castle (TV Series on ABC with Nathan Fillion)? 2

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jack White, Apr 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member Thread Starter

I see that the original thread about this TV show was closed almost three years, but have no idea as to why. (What possibly could have gone wrong in a thread about 'Castle' that would have caused the Gorts to close it?)

Anyways ... a few days ago I came across a news-entertainment report on the web that stated Stana Katic (Kate Beckett) would not be returning to the show after this season. (The show hasn't been renewed for there to be a next season, by-the way. So the network made the unusual move of publicly announcing that one of the stars would not be returning to a show that may not be returning.) The reason given was cost-cutting. Given that the Castle-Beckett relationship is the centre-piece of the show and the focal point everything else revolves around (much like the relationship between between a lovable roguish male lead and a more straight laced female lead in similar crime-espionage adventure- romance shows laced with a good deal of humour, like 'Moonlighting' or 'Remington Steele'), this decision didn't make a lot of sense. What's 'Castle' without Beckett? (BTW, Tamala Jones who plays the coroner, Lacie, will not be returning, either.)

Curious, I 'googled' a few stories about 'Castle'. After their seven year contracts expired at the end of Season 7 both Fillion and Katic signed one year extensions for this current season. During this season ABC (who owns the series) negotiated another one year extension with Fillion, but didn't bother to do the same with Katic. Apparently (if the internet can be believed) Fillion and Katic don't like each other - and more so on Fillion's part towards Katic than visa-versa. And it looks like ABC choose Fillion.

Did the story-line this year seem a little odd to anyone who consistently watches the show - in that Beckett distanced herself from Castle as to protect him from the all-powerful 'Lockset' conspiracy that controls the world from the the shadows and had her mother murdered? It seemed like two distinct worlds on the show and two story-lines - a Castle segment as a PI and a Beckett segment at the police station edited together on each episode. The scenes the two actors shared were few and far between. Even in the episodes where the two characters are together, Castle and Beckett don't share a lot of screen time, especially compared to earlier seasons when they were in the majority of the scenes each week together. Well, apparently Fillion dislikes Katic so much that in his one year extension covering this season he had it written in his contract that he would only shoot two days per episode with Katic. I guess the writers had to work around that - how to write an hour long show where the two usually inseparable, leading characters can't be together that much because of one actor's demands.

So, what's the future of 'Castle' without Beckett - the love of his life, soulmate, raison d'etre of Rick Castle's existence and the focus of the show? There only three or four episodes left this season (I believe). If the show does get cancelled, Castle and Beckett can happily ride off into the sunset together (an episode or two ago Castle restored Beckett's vintage motorcycle which had been in storage for years; and there was talk of an indefinite stay in Paris in last night's episode). If the show does continue for a ninth season next fall how will the show runners segue from this season to next? A cliff hanger with Beckett murdered and Castle vowing revenge? Perhaps there will be a happy ending this season, with an advanced time-line opening next season with Castle out for blood for Beckett's murder that occurred in the time between. Beckett does have to be killed off if the show is to continue without Katic. That will alienate a lot of loyal fans, though, but it seems to be the only step forward in the circumstances.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  2. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Used to be one of our favorite shows. Unfortunately, Castle & Beckett's relationship last season & this season got wierd, and the overall storyline along with it. So much so that we stopped caring & don't even DVR it for later watching. Too much other stuff to watch in competition for my time.

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I wasn't a huge fan in that I didn't catch every episode and didn't follow it religiously but I when I had the chance I would watch it. I enjoyed the shows I did see.

I heard the news about Katic not returning and even I, not a devoted follower of the show thought it made no sense. What you posted about them not liking each other (rumour has it) puts that into perspective.

I'm not sure how they'll handle it but I agree killing her off would annoy fans. My guess is that they send her off to Paris (or wherever) first and he'll follow.

4. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I enjoyed the show up to the point where Castle and Beckett got married. After that, it seemed to me, the writers couldn't produce any really interesting scripts. Haven't watched it or set the DVR to record the show since then, and I could care less whether the series gets cancelled or renewed. I know I won't be watching if they renew it.

5. Maybe it's finally time for that Ryan & Esposito spin off I've been demanding for years. Demanding, I say! :realmad: :D

6. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

Yup, just like the others, I seem to have lost interest. I have watched most episodes this season, but it wouldn't bother me if I hadn't.

7. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

I've watched it from the beginning. In it til the bitter end.

OcdMan likes this.
  8. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

yea I have been watching it since the start I enjoy it for what it is : over the top cop show with not much reality: I hope Nathan actually becomes a film star because of this as I think he is really good in this.

9. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

It jumped a realitivley large fish when Beckett and castle got together on the show.

10. Jack White

If I was to select a 'jump the shark' moment - there would be two: (i) the never-ending conspiracy against Beckett involving her mother's murder years before; and (ii) Castle's disappearance (on his wedding day, no less) and re-appearance (suffering from amnesia, no less) which was not solved, seemingly forgotten for many episodes, resolved a season later rather abruptly in a single episode and then to re-emerge this season and tied into Beckett's conspiracy.

Hmmmm ... I'd rather that they left out the mythology conspiracies and had focused on single self-contained mysteries and the relationship between the two protagonists.

Jim Pattison likes this.
  11. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Don't know what it is, just me, but I never took to the two main actors, and there was a lightness to it that never seamed to ring true.

zebop likes this.
  12. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

I seem to recall a DVD extra from I think season 3 or 4, when Nathan says something like that he'd be happy if the show ended after 6 years or so, go out on top, before it gets stale like so many TV shows.

Oh well.

13. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I was a huge fan, until Kate said she was leaving Castle to go on a manhunt. I haven't watched it since.

14. I've enjoyed the last couple of episodes as I think they're going to wrap up the LOOOOOOOOONG stories (Castle's Father, Castle's disappearance, Beckett's Mother's murder conspiracy (I think they'll add another twist to tie it in) and the MI 6 character.

Wondering if they'll focus next year on Castle as PI with daughter and the Brit as the other main characters while Beckett is mentioned and never seen.

Doomed to fail w/o Beckett IMO. Interesting to hear that Fillion can't stand Katic - wonder why?

15. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I've watched this show on and off for many years, and I will watch the season finale just to see what happens. Obviously the whole "Caskett" thing was the driver for this series, but Nathan Fillion is a pretty big star and I think ABC will give it a 13 episode send-off next spring. They own the show, it doesn't get terrible ratings, and I actually think you could get a lot of comedic mileage from the Castle-Ryan-Espo triumvirate. But please dear God don't make the daughter an equal partner-I think she's sapped more juice from this show than anyone.

16. Jack White

In a previous post I mentioned Tamala Jones was also leaving the show and that she played a character named 'Lacie' - correction: that should be 'Lanie'.

17. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

they could bring back Espo's ex for a few episodes. i didn't hate her at all :cool:

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Haven't watched much of it in the last few years but used to watch it all the time.

Once they got together it seemed to go downhill...

19. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

what is going on with the show? I am hearing a lot of rumours !

20. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Even my wife has stopped watching it.

21. Jack White

This week's 'anti-Christ' episode was kinda fun.

Next week (Monday) is the series finale.

22. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

23. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Castle PI would make a great spin off especially if it included Ryan and Esposito. And of course Castle's mother and Alexis :)

Sad to see it end but it's the right decision

Found this annoying as well but continued to watch

24. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Glad to see it put out of its misery. The series jumped the shark awhile ago.

I enjoyed "The Blame Game", but the rest of this season was embarrassing. My wife continued to watch, though.

The idea of continuing without Stana Katic and Tamala Jones was just pure idiocy. I'm glad they pulled the plug.

Galley likes this.
  25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Agent Carter also cancelled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.